2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
I just don't buy this at all. The 49ers made it last year with a defense that was crumbling without the presence of Justin Smith, while the Ravens defense was playing very well and Flacco was playing well. The Giants won it 2 years ago due to an absolutely insane pass rush that was stopping the run, accumulating sacks, and forcing turnovers. They beat the open gate that was the Patriots defense. The Packers defense played incredibly well down the stretch 3 years ago and Aaron Rodgers is still one of the best QBs of this generation.

Oh, and this doesn't include the fact that the Seahawks have one of the best offenses in the NFL. They only throw for 218 yards a game, but they rush for 146, they don't really turn the ball over (1 in 10 drives ends in a turnover), and they have good weapons offensively.

I'm not saying they will win, but saying they won't win because defense suddenly stops being important in the playoffs is ridiculous. Defense (and special teams) is the MOST important in the playoffs. Yes, you need a QB who can drive you down the field, and a running back who can chunk away some yards, but if your defense doesn't play well, you don't stand a chance.

Well said.

For me, the Seahawks or 49ers will represent the NFC.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would honestly and truly take all of the non-Cutler Bears skill guys mentioned over the non-Rodgers Packers skill guys. About 10 or 12 weeks ago, I would have taken Jordy Nelson over Alshon. Lacy is pretty exciting, but he's no Matt Forte. Maybe if we were factoring salary into the equation, we'd have an argument for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I would honestly and truly take all of the non-Cutler Bears skill guys mentioned over the non-Rodgers Packers skill guys. About 10 or 12 weeks ago, I would have taken Jordy Nelson over Alshon. Lacy is pretty exciting, but he's no Matt Forte. Maybe if we were factoring salary into the equation, we'd have an argument for him.

At first I thought this was outrageous but it is incredible to me that for first time in my life that's at least close enough to truth.

Cobb is probably underrated here though, but Jeffery has been so insane it's hard not to take him. I can't imagine what Rodgers would do with Jeffery in the red zone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)

How about the fact that Forte is 5 years older? No way I would take a 28 year old Forte over a 23 year old Lacy. At 28, Forte's got what, maybe 3 good years left? I would also want no part of the drama that comes along with Marshall. I don't care how good he is.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
How about the fact that Forte is 5 years older? No way I would take a 28 year old Forte over a 23 year old Lacy. At 28, Forte's got what, maybe 3 good years left? I would also want no part of the drama that comes along with Marshall. I don't care how good he is.

That crap from earlier in the year was totally manufactured by Dan Bernstein.

Marshall has been perfect as a Bear. He never takes a play off, he takes run blocking seriously, and he wants to win. He'll go down as one of my favorite bears ever.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
I would love to see this Packers offense next year with a healthy TE. I would guess they are gonna let Finley go and draft someone else.

I don't think the Packers will use a high draft pick on a TE. They're pretty high on both Quarless and Bostick. I have to think the first few rounds will be all about defense. More than likely trying to shore up the secondary.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

I think Lacy's durability in the NFL will be something to watch. He is a force, but already he has had issues with health. Guys that are built like he is (compact, brick s***house) tend to look amazing for a few years and then fall off a cliff. Who knows though, he could be the next Bettis

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I don't think the Packers will use a high draft pick on a TE. They're pretty high on both Quarless and Bostick. I have to think the first few rounds will be all about defense. More than likely trying to shore up the secondary.

Eh. Quarless is a nice back up and Bostick is still just a project. Ebron could be the next Vernon Davis.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
I think Lacy's durability in the NFL will be something to watch. He is a force, but already he has had issues with health. Guys that are built like he is (compact, brick s***house) tend to look amazing for a few years and then fall off a cliff. Who knows though, he could be the next Bettis

That pretty much applies to all running backs. Once a RB hits 30, he's ancient.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Eh. Quarless is a nice back up and Bostick is still just a project. Ebron could be the next Vernon Davis.

A combo of Quarless and Bostick is all the Packers need with their deep WR core. I could see maybe using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a TE, but not a first round at this point. I would guess that Ebron will be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
That pretty much applies to all running backs. Once a RB hits 30, he's ancient.

Guys with weight issues tend to flame out quicker, but you are right, RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
That crap from earlier in the year was totally manufactured by Dan Bernstein.

Marshall has been perfect as a Bear. He never takes a play off, he takes run blocking seriously, and he wants to win. He'll go down as one of my favorite bears ever.

Yeah, Marshall's been no problem at all his entire time here. Occasionally, he might say something to the media that gets blown out of proportion, but that's it. And it never shows on the field.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
Hopefully they signed him to a 20 year deal for eleventy billion dollars.

My fingers are crossed.

Not cutler news.

Edited by Nyx81