Sox projecting increase in attendance

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6388200.story

By Jared S. Hopkins Tribune reporter

4:07 p.m. CST, February 19, 2013

It is more than a month before Opening Day and the Chicago White Sox are planning for larger crowds this season at U.S. Cellular Field – at least for those who will be paying to walk through the turnstiles.

But, as last season proved, even good baseball doesn’t necessarily lead to higher attendance.

The Sox are projecting 1,946,000 in paid attendance for the 2013 season -- an increase of more than 100,000 from last year’s paid attendance of 1,836,916.

That figure still is less than last season's total attendance of 1,965,866, the first time since 2004 that the total dipped below 2 million.

The paid attendance figure includes tickets sold directly by the Sox and reported to Major League Baseball, but not tickets less than $3, those sold through bartering or that are complimentary.

Total home attendance is tougher to project, Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said. The past few years, the difference has been about 100,000 to 130,000 tickets, he said.

The figures were released Tuesday at a meeting of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, which owns U.S. Cellular Field and manages its daily operations. Because paid attendance fell below 1,925,000, the Sox were not required to pay the public agency additional ticket fees beyond a base rent of $1,537,000, as required by a management agreement between the team and the agency.

Sox General Counsel John Corvino said increased ticket sales help both the team and the agency, and the Sox continue to work on ticket promotions and flexible ticket options.

Last season, despite extended success in the regular season before coming up short of a playoff berth, the Sox had difficulty drawing fans. The situation stood in stark contrast to their North Side neighbors, as the Cubs regularly were at near-capacity despite carrying one of the worst records throughout the season.

“The White Sox are obviously very frustrated,” Corvino said.

The Sox previously have announced plans designed to revive attendance, including reducing prices on 87 percent of their full-season tickets and reducing parking. The ticket prices will be reduced by as much as 32 percent in the bleachers and 30 percent in the outfield reserved sections.

In 1991, the first season at U.S. Cellular Field, the Sox sold more than 2.9 million total tickets. Since then, more than 2 million tickets have been sold just nine times, including 2005 through 2010.

jahopkins@tribune.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox projecting increase in attendance

Well yeah, Jeff Keppinger.

Really though, I'd hope they would be expecting an increase. I was surprised to find out that last season's playoff invoice covered this year's split season plan and then some. I thought I had somehow snoozed on it when I didn't see any literature asking for money in the mail.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
Well yeah, Jeff Keppinger.

Really though, I'd hope they would be expecting an increase. I was surprised to find out that last season's playoff invoice covered this year's split season plan and then some. I thought I had somehow snoozed on it when I didn't see any literature asking for money in the mail.

Paid up without realizing it is kind of nice.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
If they ever make the playoffs, I'd bet attendance would increase noticeably the next year.

Attendance dropped from 2007 to 2008 to 2009. To increase and maintain attendance, they need either an extended run or an extended stay.

I went to 6 games last year, I'm hoping to go to 10 this year. The thing that surprised me with last years lower attendance was the great April weather I thought would boost us. But July games were so miserably hot I could see that hurting them as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I went to 6 games last year, I'm hoping to go to 10 this year. The thing that surprised me with last years lower attendance was the great April weather I thought would boost us. But July games were so miserably hot I could see that hurting them as well.

No, April was the biggest factor. They only had 9 home games in July and the worst they drew was 21.2K.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CH...le-scores.shtml

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Ugh, I was there April 9. That was horrible.

It would really be nice if they figured out a way to schedule fewer April games for cold weather teams and fewer late July/early August for hot-weather teams. I've never been, but I'm sure there's nothing more pleasant than being at the Ballpark in Arlington for a Saturday afternoon game.

It would really be nice if they figured out a way to schedule fewer April games for cold weather teams and fewer late July/early August for hot-weather teams. I've never been, but I'm sure there's nothing more pleasant than being at the Ballpark in Arlington for a Saturday afternoon game.

Rangers schedule nearly 100% of their May-August games at night.

As for the Sox, I don't know how you avoid weather problems. You can't have all 81 home games during the last two weeks of May.

The Sox are projecting 1,946,000 in paid attendance for the 2013 season -- an increase of more than 100,000 from last year’s paid attendance of 1,836,916.

That figure still is less than last season's total attendance of 1,965,866, the first time since 2004 that the total dipped below 2 million.

Huh?

So last year they gave away 100k tickets, but they don't anticipate doing so this year, so for some reason they're comparing total attendance with projected paid attendance?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)

Dude there are nights down there where it is still 95 degrees at 10 pm. Plus that park is completely enclosed in the OF, so there is no movement of air, like you get in a place like USCF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)

The hot-weather teams don't want all their home games in April/May when the kids are in school. Every team prefers home games from June-August.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:34 PM)
lowering prices to appease non existent fans= business death

They lowered the prices on tickets they weren't selling. Many of the premium seats were jacked up and they are virtually sold out. Money-wise, if they drew the same number, it is probably a wash or very close to it, but the cheaper prices will draw more fans, and if they win 85 again, their projection will be like the Sox usual Pecota projection, really short.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 02:34 AM)
lowering prices to appease non existent fans= business death

I mean, if we're to believe the fans, they exist but think games are too expensive. Setting prices at the point where supply and demand intersect = high school economics.