Sox trade RP Jeff Soptic for 3B Conor Gillaspie

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and as opposed to what I may have said earlier, Morel is not a goner and, in fact, I'd venture to guess he is the first infielder up in the event of an injury, unless it is a serious injury to Alexei and Carlos Sanchez is tearing it up.

Might set the roster too

Peavy

Sale

Floyd

Danks

Quintana

Reed

Jones

Crain

Thornton

Lindstrom

Santiago (or Axelrod)

Veal

Flowers

Konerko

Beckham

Keppinger

Ramirez

Viciedo

De Aza

Rios

Dunn

Wise

A. Sanchez

Gillaspie

Gimenez (or Anderson whoever)

Oh, and as opposed to what I may have said earlier, Morel is not a goner and, in fact, I'd venture to guess he is the first infielder up in the event of an injury, unless it is a serious injury to Alexei and Carlos Sanchez is tearing it up.

Might set the roster too

Peavy

Sale

Floyd

Danks

Quintana

Reed

Jones

Crain

Thornton

Lindstrom

Santiago (or Axelrod)

Veal

Flowers

Konerko

Beckham

Keppinger

Ramirez

Viciedo

De Aza

Rios

Dunn

Wise

A. Sanchez

Gillaspie

Gimenez (or Anderson whoever)

That's good enough for about 83 wins..

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Hahn views Gillaspie as complimentary player to Keppinger at third. Hits to all fields, good obp guy and "solid-average" defensively.

Makes perfect sense. Gillaspie is a much better fit for our bench than having a 2nd outfielder like Danks, especially if he can play some 1B.

Soptic is a pretty good relief prospect, but he's the boom or bust type, so he's expendable if it fills a need on the major league roster.

Very happy with this move.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Evidence of a new emphasis on contact rate with stable OBP

It's not at all a stretch to say Gordon Beckham should take notice. After all, Keppinger was not etched in stone at 3B from the organization's comments. And they need a lefty bat somewhere, no question.

I'd love to know what they really really think about Keppinger at third versus second..defensively

It also has a lot to do with what they think of Brent Morel if you ask me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Anyone know if he had a background (High school or anything else) that included any time at 2b or short? His minor league career doesn't, but can't hurt to ask.

I know he played at Wichita St with KW Jr. And Wichita St routinely crushed SIU.

And thats all I know.

With this trade I see competition at 3B and that isn't a bad thing. Folks still ragging on Beckham and I just don't see it. Keppinger is a super utilityman that probably gets the nod at 3B with Morel and Gillaspie pushing for playing time, but to somehow suggest that this trade for a guy with just a few games in the majors somehow bodes as a possible replacement for Gordon Beckham is nonsensical. The sox are committed to Beckham and should be. This is insurance at 3B and nothing else plus he hits left handed. Morel is the one that probbaly should be worried and even there I think the Sox want to see what he can still deliver this season-by using spring training as the gauge.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
With this trade I see competition at 3B and that isn't a bad thing. Folks still ragging on Beckham and I just don't see it. Keppinger is a super utilityman that probably gets the nod at 3B with Morel and Gillaspie pushing for playing time, but to somehow suggest that this trade for a guy with just a few games in the majors somehow bodes as a possible replacement for Gordon Beckham is nonsensical. The sox are committed to Beckham and should be. This is insurance at 3B and nothing else plus he hits left handed. Morel is the one that probbaly should be worried and even there I think the Sox want to see what he can still deliver this season-by using spring training as the gauge.

I'd assume this puts Morel right where he belongs, in AAA until someone gets hurt or he hits his way back to the big leagues.