Santiago vs. Axelrod

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
This is correct. I personally can't believe Axelrod is getting major league hitters out, but he is doing his job. The Sox need bullpen help. Santiago can handle that, and has shown he doesn't need long to get back to throwing 110 pitches a game.

It is really key that we have the best long reliever in the game! Haha.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
This is correct. I personally can't believe Axelrod is getting major league hitters out, but he is doing his job. The Sox need bullpen help. Santiago can handle that, and has shown he doesn't need long to get back to throwing 110 pitches a game.

Not only that Ax has more starts than any WS pitcher since Peavy and Sale have been scratched once each. He's been the glue.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
You think the Sox would learn their lesson after trying to make Sale a reliever last year. Nope, the stupidity is still present.

What lesson should they have learned from Sale's 1 relief appearance last year?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
This is all about Hector being a lefty. He's better in every role compared to Dylan but since we need another left handed reliever in the bullpen he gets the demotion.

Ther might be something to that. The Sox always have preferred harder throwers out of the bullpen, and really Axelrod has been fine as a 5th starter. If he starts getting hit around, Santiago will get his shot to try to make it to the 5th inning before he hits 100 pitches again.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 26, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
Not only that Ax has more starts than any WS pitcher since Peavy and Sale have been scratched once each. He's been the glue.

5-5 in Axelrod's starts

7-2 in Sale's

6-3 in Peavy's

0-5 in Floyd's

4-5 in Quintana's

1-0 in Danks'

1-4 in Santiago's

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
You think the Sox would learn their lesson after trying to make Sale a reliever last year. Nope, the stupidity is still present.

Keep shooting that gun while the chamber is empty. Sale 1st round draft pick. Was starting ,had a bit of pain Sox wanting him to rest his arm a bit is so full of stupidity it's mind boggling . Then deciding a whole 10 or so days later , he was good to start again. And he did run out of gas at the end of the year so it's not like he needed any more starts than he got last year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 26, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)

This is gold. We now have to resort to a guy being the "glue" while ignoring just about every possible statistical evidence that clearly proves who the better option is. I like Axelrod, and dont mind him in the rotation. Just not at the expense of a far better, more talented player.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 26, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
What lesson should they have learned from Sale's 1 relief appearance last year?

Uh, did you forget that whole debacle or something? How about that such a talented player is far more valuable as a starter rather than reliever. How much worse a team are we with Sale in the pen compared to being a starter? A lot.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
This is gold. We now have to resort to a guy being the "glue" while ignoring just about every possible statistical evidence that clearly proves who the better option is. I like Axelrod, and dont mind him in the rotation. Just not at the expense of a far better, more talented player.

Uh, did you forget that whole debacle or something? How about that such a talented player is far more valuable as a starter rather than reliever. How much worse a team are we with Sale in the pen compared to being a starter? A lot.

I just described it so how can I be forgetting it ? I think you are forgetting Sale ran out of gas his last 10 starts or ,so your definition of debacle or clueless or stupidity is just you continuing with your hyberbole. And I'm not ignoring who the better option MIGHT be. I have already stated Santiago has the higher ceiling a few times. I'm just focusing on what's best for the team right now. The starting pitching is solid. The bullpen is middling or worse outside of Crain and Reed. Santiago can help that as long as he doesn't keep walking people.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Chris Sale ERA when moved to the pen: 2.81

Hector Santiagos ERA when moved to pen: 2.81

You gotta compare Hector in the pen and axe in the rotation to axe in the pen and hector as a starter, you can't just compare Hector to Dylan as starters. Granted, I'm with you that it's the incorrect move but I don't think it's as absurd as you're making it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
Oh god, we now have actually resorted to using team W/L when talking about who should be a starter. Come on Soxtalk, you are better than that!

You were the one saying the team was clueless. They won today. The other problem is Santiago has gone over 100 innings once in his career. You might as well ride Axelrod while he is doing OK then let Santiago take his place when things go south.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Chris Sale ERA when moved to the pen: 2.81

Hector Santiagos ERA when moved to pen: 2.81

Means nothing. Sale had a sore arm Santiago did not. Sale was a high draft pick whose arm needed protecting. I'm starting to think you forget what happened honestly. Look what the Nationals did with Strasburg and they had a good chance to make the World Series. I know Sale didnt' have major arm surgery but clearly he was gassed , spent w/e you want to call it at the end of the year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 26, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
You gotta compare Hector in the pen and axe in the rotation to axe in the pen and hector as a starter, you can't just compare Hector to Dylan as starters. Granted, I'm with you that it's the incorrect move but I don't think it's as absurd as you're making it.

Thank you that's the whole point . Each side has merit. It's just not cut and dried as he is suggesting nor clueless or stupid.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 26, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Given the need for a lefty set up man in the pen, if Axelrod does falter, it wouldn't be surprising if the Sox turned to Erik Johnson to replace him.

Daniel Hudson II, without quite as much hype.

Then we can trade him for some random veteran, blowing up our payroll even more (because we need experience down the stretch in a pennant drive!), and limiting our flexibility to improve the offense in the off-season, leading to the eventual trade of aforementioned veteran along with Jeff Keppinger for the likes of Zach Stewart or Nestor Molina coming back in return.

• 1 month later...

K/9 Ratio (as a starter)

1. Yu Darvish, 11.84

2. Max Scherzer, 10.63

3. Matt Harvey, 10.18

4. Hector Santiago, 9.78

5. Chris Sale, 9.77

6. AJ Burnett

7. Shelby Miller

8. Tim Lincecum

9. King Felix

10. Matt Latos

11. Samardzija

12. Verlander

13. J. Masterson

14. S. Strasburg

15. Jose Fernandez

16. Lance Lynn

17. Bumgarner

18. M. Moore

19. Homer Bailey

20. Gio Gonzalez

21. Ubaldo Jimenez

Hector might be one of those Cooper pitchers who gets better as his K/9 totals fall. He wastes a lot of pitches right now, and it makes him a 5 inning pitcher. He has got to figure out how to go 7 innings instead of 5, if he wants to be an effective starter. It doesn't help your team much if you have to burn up your middle and long relief to balance out his starts. In fact by using your worst reliever on a regular basis, it might be a net detriment to the team, no matter how good his five innings are.