Rebuild: So Far Better Than Could Have Hoped For

Marty34

Could not be happier with the performances of the 6 or 7 most important players to his team's future. Sale, Quintana, and Santiago are proving that they can be part of a championship rotation and Peavy and Rios keep building their trade value. Viciedo is showing progress as well. So far so good.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 26, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
Could not be happier with the performances of the 6 or 7 most important players to his team's future. Sale, Quintana, and Santiago are proving that they can be part of a championship rotation and Peavy and Rios keep building their trade value. Viciedo is showing progress as well. So far so good.

I love posts like this. Sale, Quintana, & Santiago are proving they can be part of a championship rotation, yet the rotation right now that already includes Peavy & Danks can't be one.

AL ERA leaders:

7. Sale

12. Peavy

21. Quintana

33. Axelrod

*10. Santiago (if he qualified)

People need to accept the fact that we already have a championship rotation.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I love posts like this. Sale, Quintana, & Santiago are proving they can be part of a championship rotation, yet the rotation right now that already includes Peavy & Danks can't be one.

AL ERA leaders:

7. Sale

12. Peavy

21. Quintana

33. Axelrod

*10. Santiago (if he qualified)

People need to accept the fact that we already have a championship rotation.

Yeah of all things, the pitching is really around the best there is in the starting rotation. If you leave Floyd out of the discussion, I can't imagine any team gets more for its money either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
If you have all these pieces of a championship rotation , besides setting yourself up for years of b****ing, what is the purpose of selling all of your other parts? If you have these pieces, going for it makes even more sense.

Going for it how? The current roster is not Championship Worthy. The offense and bullpen depth are not good. So either you have to have money for free agents or money to take on from trades (which we don't) or have prospects to bring up to trade for ML-ready talent (which we don't). We are the epitome of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rotation no doubt is Championship worthy, ditto for the backend of the bullpen (Reed-Crain), but everything else brings the team down.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 26, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
Going for it how? The current roster is not Championship Worthy. The offense and bullpen depth are not good. So either you have to have money for free agents or money to take on from trades (which we don't) or have prospects to bring up to trade for ML-ready talent (which we don't). We are the epitome of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rotation no doubt is Championship worthy, ditto for the backend of the bullpen (Reed-Crain), but everything else brings the team down.

Even if I agreed with this - wouldnt a re-tooling type off season make more sense then?

They are looking to add, not subtract. Marty would love the Sox to trade Peavy and Rios, and acquired a few more Simon Castros. He also suggested waiving Ramirez and letting Keppinger play SS.

If they can acquire another bat, Paulie and Dunn hit well, Beckham plays decently, they have a chance. Every team has holes.

This philosophy of trading all your good players for prospects is quite puzzling. Many here say Frank Thomas is the reason they became a Sox fan. Using this sam philosophy, shouldn't the Sox have traded Frank after the 1994 season? He did get a ring with the Sox, but it was not a very productive season and didn't play in the playoffs. I also believe he was hitless in the 2000 playoffs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
They are looking to add, not subtract. Marty would love the Sox to trade Peavy and Rios, and acquired a few more Simon Castros. He also suggested waiving Ramirez and letting Keppinger play SS.

If they can acquire another bat, Paulie and Dunn hit well, Beckham plays decently, they have a chance. Every team has holes.

This philosophy of trading all your good players for prospects is quite puzzling. Many here say Frank Thomas is the reason they became a Sox fan. Using this sam philosophy, shouldn't the Sox have traded Frank after the 1994 season? He did get a ring with the Sox, but it was not a very productive season and didn't play in the playoffs. I also believe he was hitless in the 2000 playoffs.

Rios, Dunn, Konerko and Viciedo....if 3/4 hit with an 850+ OPS for the rest of the season, then they're surely competitive for at least a wild card spot.

However, none of those bats can be replaced by trade at the deadline without crippling our major league roster.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 26, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
The team we've seen the past two weeks is very capable of winning a championship.

The last week or so, Dunn was 1/20.

The only way is for Dunn to be a REAL threat on a consistent basis. Not just sporadically.

But yeah, Konerko's looked a LOT better recently. And Rios/Viciedo have both been strong as well.

Let's see with Danks does against a REAL MLB team first...

Right now, the single biggest single problem is the bullpen...along with Flowers/Gimenez.

This post is spot on. However, I'm closer to thinking the heaviest of lifting in the rebuild is done and that we aren't between a rock and hard place unless they foolishly keep Peavy and Rios to pursue a playoff spot this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
This post is spot on. However, I'm closer to thinking the heaviest of lifting in the rebuild is done and that we aren't between a rock and hard place unless they foolishly keep Peavy and Rios to pursue a playoff spot this year.

How do you expect to replace these guys? You think our team has no chance of competing right now, despite 3/5 of a championship rotation as you deem it, yet you want to deal a #1 caliber starter and a legit #3 hitter, both of whom are signed to below market deals. Please tell me how trading them makes us better? You've already told us that free agency doesn't have the answers and I can tell you our minor league system doesn't have replacements.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
How do you expect to replace these guys? You think our team has no chance of competing right now, despite 3/5 of a championship rotation as you deem it, yet you want to deal a #1 caliber starter and a legit #3 hitter, both of whom are signed to below market deals. Please tell me how trading them makes us better? You've already told us that free agency doesn't have the answers and I can tell you our minor league system doesn't have replacements.

Free agency replaces Peavy, Peavy and Rios bring in position prospects.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
Free agency replaces Peavy, Peavy and Rios bring in position prospects.

Lol...what #1 starter are we getting in free agency? Edwin Jackson just got 4/$52. I'm sure Hahn/KW/Reinsdorf would love to go out and sign a starter to a 6 or 7 year deal at $20 per.

And Rios? Are we getting a potential #3 hitter back in trade for Rios? You've already stated we can't fix the offense in free agency if we held on to Rios. We better get quite the haul or else Sale, Quintana, & Santiago will be free agents by the time we replace Peavy & Rios.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
Lol...what #1 starter are we getting in free agency? Edwin Jackson just got 4/$52. I'm sure Hahn/KW/Reinsdorf would love to go out and sign a starter to a 6 or 7 year deal at $20 per.

And Rios? Are we getting a potential #3 hitter back in trade for Rios? You've already stated we can't fix the offense in free agency if we held on to Rios. We better get quite the haul or else Sale, Quintana, & Santiago will be free agents by the time we replace Peavy & Rios.

Peavy doesn't need to be replaced by a #1 starter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 26, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
By improving the offense for the return you get for Peavy and Rios.

Weakening one area to improve another doesn't make us better.

People can hate this team all they want, but if we can sneak into the playoffs, a 1-2 punch of Sale/Peavy could be nasty. And if this season doesn't work out, I'm confident we can improve the offense enough to be a serious playoff contender next year with a rotation of Sale/Peavy/Quintana/Santiago/Danks/Johnson.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 26, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
Weakening one area to improve another doesn't make us better.

People can hate this team all they want, but if we can sneak into the playoffs, a 1-2 punch of Sale/Peavy could be nasty. And if this season doesn't work out, I'm confident we can improve the offense enough to be a serious playoff contender next year with a rotation of Sale/Peavy/Quintana/Santiago/Danks/Johnson.

How are they going to improve the offense and keep Peavy?