Winter Leagues thread

NorthSideSox72

Venezuela got underway Thursday (7 Sox minor leaguers), Mexico Friday (none). Other leagues start between now at November 1st.

Here is a preview of the Sox prospects in Venezuela and Australia. Yes, the Sox are sending a couple guys to Australia, which is something they haven't done in a while.

We'll do a second preview article for DR/PR when rosters are filled in.

Feel free to discuss results etc. here.

Trayce Thompson is 0/14 in 6 games and Carlos Sanchez is 14/34 in 9 games .412 BA , .487 OBP, 1 double , 1 triple, .500 SLG., .987 OPS , 0/2 stealing. Andy Wilkins .265 BA ,9 G. 34 AB , 9 H 1 Double , 1 Triple .359 OBP .353 SLG .712 OPS . Miguel Gonzales also doing well . Taylor Thompson and Nick McCully not so well.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Any hype that Trayce had received up until about the half way point of this year has been thoroughly deflated at this point. Even with the improvements in his peripherals, it's been a disappointing season.

Obviously the tools are there but he's off my own personal radar at this point, I don't think he'll ever be a major league starter.

• 4 weeks later...

With the AFL over, this is our remaining active baseball.

Carlos Sanchez and Andy Wilkins both doing well in VWL. So is Nestor Molina.

Jacob May doing pretty well in Australia, DeMichele doing OK but showing power down under.

Leury Garcia leading all of DWL in SB's, he's 9 for 9. Dan Black doing Dan Black things, leading his team in HR, BB. Tony Pena Jr looking good too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
With the AFL over, this is our remaining active baseball.

Carlos Sanchez and Andy Wilkins both doing well in VWL. So is Nestor Molina.

Jacob May doing pretty well in Australia, DeMichele doing OK but showing power down under.

Leury Garcia leading all of DWL in SB's, he's 9 for 9. Dan Black doing Dan Black things, leading his team in HR, BB. Tony Pena Jr looking good too.

Thought you meant the reliever and I was terrified for a moment.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 05:45 AM)

Well, he is a reliever, but not the one you are thinking of, haha. This guy is a converted infielder, much like Salvador Sanchez. Signed a new minor league deal recently. Pitched for Charlotte last season, put up pedestrian numbers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 05:45 AM)

Yes, this is the reliever. He is just not the fat one that was acquired by trading Brandon Allen. This is the shortstop that played for the Royals who has been converted to a reliever.

• 3 weeks later...

A few highlights so far from the winter leagues...

VZ

--Carlos Sanchez .346/.422/.428 in 159 AB, 20 BB vs 27 K, 4th in VWL in AVG, 5th in OBP

--Andy Wilkins .314/.395/.476 in 105 AB, 12 BB vs 17 K - also hitting well

--Trayce Thompson was released after posting a .045/.120/.045 line in 13 games - ouch

--Nestor Molina: 3.05 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 17 K vs 4 BB in 20.2 IP - nice after his 2013 debacle

DR

--Dan Black currently 5th in DWL with .856 OPS, 4th in slugging at .484, 2nd in HR with 5 - just keeps hitting

--Leury Garcia .232/.344/.317, 11 BB vs 14 K, in 23 games

--Tony Pena Jr (not that one, the other one): 2.57 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 24 K vs 4 BB in 21 IP

AUSTRALIA

--Jacob May holding his own and running a lot: .273/.360/.394, 7 BB vs 4 K, 9 SB (2nd in ABL) in 10 ATT, in 17 G

--Joey DeMichele with some odd numbers: .263/.291/.539, tied for ABL lead in HR (5), 4th in SLG, but 19 K vs 2 BB in 76 AB

• 3 weeks later...

DR finished play, the other three Caribbean Leagues are finishing today.

Some DR stats...

1B Dan Black: .270/.372/.484, 31 K, 21 BB in ~150 PA. 4th in DR in OPS (.856), T-3rd HR (5), 3rd 2B (11), 5th BB (21)

INF Leury Garcia: .260/.338/.339, 27 K, 12 BB in ~140 PA. 2nd in DR in SB (12, in 13 ATT)

RHP Tony Pena Jr: 24.1 IP, 22 H, 7 ER, 5 BB, 27 K (2.59 ERA, 1.11 WHIP)

Simon Castro pitched just one inning. De Aza was on a roster but did not play.

After a huge 2012, SS/2B Carlos Sanchez had a rough 2013 in AAA, where he started the season as the youngest player in the International League. There was some debate if this was simply an overreach for the 23 year old

Sanchez is only 21 years 6 months and 2 days ;)

Not super encouraging that Leury failed to pit up very good numbers. While his defense and basemning make him a good fit for our crappy MLB bench, his bat needs a lot of work, even for that role. More AAA time required IMO.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
Not super encouraging that Leury failed to pit up very good numbers. While his defense and basemning make him a good fit for our crappy MLB bench, his bat needs a lot of work, even for that role. More AAA time required IMO.

The Rangers definitely pushed him up rapidly, so more AAA time would make sense if there's a slot for him.

But...if Davidson, Semien, and Sanchez are all at AAA...and Mitchell and perhaps Trayce are in the OF...it might be tough to find him a place to get regular at bats.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Sanchez is only 21 years 6 months and 2 days ;)

I KNEW that didn't seem right when I typed it. Thanks, I'll fix it.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Adam Lopez tore his ACL training over the winter...

He is making a quick recovery though!

Wha? News to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
The Rangers definitely pushed him up rapidly, so more AAA time would make sense if there's a slot for him.

But...if Davidson, Semien, and Sanchez are all at AAA...and Mitchell and perhaps Trayce are in the OF...it might be tough to find him a place to get regular at bats.

That's a good point, though I hope Davidson isn't there. It will be very interesting to see where Semien plays. 2B makes the most immediate sense, but they may really want him to be a SS, where his long-term value could be much higher. My guess is that Semien bounces between 2B and SS while Sanchez and Garcia get time at 3B ( in addition to MIF slots). Garcia will get some OF time as well.

I wonder whether Trayce will start in AAA. I would put him in AA, but we have pushed him along somewhat aggressively. Not so much by age, but we have promoted him before in spite of "meh" production at the lower level.