2014 Winter Olympics

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
If you do it correctly. Poor form and the knees will go.

Right before I moved into my current occupation I was training quite a bit to be a ski instructor after spending a lot of my life skiing out west. The WORST injury I had skiing moguls was if you get a bit too much air coming off of a turn and jam a straight leg into the side of the next bump instead of where I was trying to land. Boom, jam your hip so bad it was hard to sit on a toilet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Right before I moved into my current occupation I was training quite a bit to be a ski instructor after spending a lot of my life skiing out west. The WORST injury I had skiing moguls was if you get a bit too much air coming off of a turn and jam a straight leg into the side of the next bump instead of where I was trying to land. Boom, jam your hip so bad it was hard to sit on a toilet.

No doubt about it. I worked as a ski patrol for a little after college. Where the knee injuries happen is when you hit the edge and instead of keeping the knees in, one goes out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
No doubt about it. I worked as a ski patrol for a little after college. Where the knee injuries happen is when you hit the edge and instead of keeping the knees in, one goes out.

Ug, that sounds bad.

When you worked, did you see a lot of head injuries? 80% of people skiing now have helmets on for some reason, even if they are no where near trees. Its so weird to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Ug, that sounds bad.

When you worked, did you see a lot of head injuries? 80% of people skiing now have helmets on for some reason, even if they are no where near trees. Its so weird to me.

Can't you take a tumble and fall on your head? Why wouldn't you wear a helmet if you aren't a pro?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Ug, that sounds bad.

A few. Mostly people doingtreeskiing or going ob and getting careless. Some on double blacks that would fall speed and hit their head on ice.

Except for the snowflake snafu, I actually thought it was a pretty cool opening ceremony. There was too much artsy fartsy stuff (they all suffer from that), but projecting pictures onto the ice and having people walk/march in line with the projection was pretty cool.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Except for the snowflake snafu, I actually thought it was a pretty cool opening ceremony. There was too much artsy fartsy stuff (they all suffer from that), but projecting pictures into the ice and having people walk/march in line with the projection was pretty cool.

Agreed, and considering Russia's history with ballet and theatre at least the artsy fatty stuff fit better. The projection technology was awesome.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
You'd totally be the guy that doesn't wear a cage or visor playing men's league.

No way. I always wear a cage. There's a difference in the chance of getting hit in the face playing hockey vs skill in not falling skiing. I've been doing it at a high level for 20 plus years. Never hit my head.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
No way. I always wear a cage. There's a difference in the chance of getting hit in the face playing hockey vs skill in not falling skiing. I've been doing it at a high level for 20 plus years. Never hit my head.

Skill and reflexes do change as you get through middle age.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)

Accidents happen. I don't fall skating, either. I just don't get being surprised that people wear helmets, regardless of if you do. It seems easy enough for falls to happen, at which point someone could easily hit their head.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Accidents happen. I don't fall skating, either. I just don't get being surprised that people wear helmets, regardless of if you do. It seems easy enough for falls to happen, at which point someone could easily hit their head.

It surprises me because it just happened all of a sudden. From when I started at age 5 to when I left instructing at 22, barely any helmets at all, then BOOM. EVERYONE has one on, even on tiny little midwestern hills.