2014-2015 NCAA football thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the way he was controlling the media and players was indicative of being a bad person.

Though certainly Josh Freeman actually ending up being one of the worst QBs ever sort of helped out in that he was right in that part.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I think the way he was controlling the media and players was indicative of being a bad person.

Though certainly Josh Freeman actually ending up being one of the worst QBs ever sort of helped out in that he was right in that part.

Did he ever have the rep as a bad person at Rutgers?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 05:18 AM)

When NFL scouts came to visit, he treated them like peasants and made Penn State seem like the Four Seasons. I think he's just a major control freak that needs to be in charge of every little detail. That works if you are Bill Belichick, but not so much for Schiano.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't think Schiano's an awful person. I think he's just a meathead/douche, although I guess that could be construed as him being an awful person.

Well he might drift into awful territory if it comes out that he was the one who leaked that Josh Freeman was in the NFL drug testing program.

He wasnt even that good at Rutgers. I'll give him a pass for the first few seasons because Rutgers was beyond terrible. But after he had his first winning season at Rutgers, he never once won a league championship while coaching in the worst BCS league. He also went just 25-24 in his last 7 seasons within the Big East. He padded his record by steamrolling teams like Army, Texas Southern, Howard, Norfolk St, Morgan St every season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)

Maybe not but I think old men sportscasters get a hard on for treating college kids like garbage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Sports Illustrated ‏@SInow 13m

Ex-Ohio State coach Jim Tressel applies to become president of the University of Akron

He did that awhile ago and works there now. Word has leaked that he is the number one choice even though he doesn't have a doctorate.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
So Dorial Green Beckham from Missouri is a piece of s***. I wonder if he gets punished despite not being arrested. It makes me sad that schools (including Illinois) continue to let guys get away with crap like this solely because they are decent athletes. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/miz...0c30c2af0f.html

I have no doubt a stern punishment is coming. Pinkel seems visibly fed-up with him in a way I have not seen him talk about a player before.

I support the decision. Really sucks from a football standpoint, he would have been a monster. But I am really glad we did the right thing in the cases of Michael Dixon and DGB.

DGB had a rough childhood. I know he probably has huge mental issues. I really hope he can pull his life together elsewhere.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
I support the decision. Really sucks from a football standpoint, he would have been a monster. But I am really glad we did the right thing in the cases of Michael Dixon and DGB.

The Dixon case probably could have been handled initially. That took years to materialize. In the DGB case you nailed it, unfortunately.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
All it took was the texts of DGB's girlfriend to her friend to come out.

Maybe that pushed it over the edge, but in fairness as bmags said it happened so quickly that you can't blame Mizzou for gathering all the facts. They might have done it anyway. This isn't his first incident.

Mizzou has shown a history of not covering their athlete's asses when it comes to stuff like this. Dixon, Washington. They won't wait for the courts, if something like this happens, you're gone.

Marijuana is one thing, breaking into a girls apartment is another.

BT needs to move their windows from 11/230 and put in later games. I don't think any fanbase enjoys the 11am games, and you've got half the conference on central time. It makes it harder for not only students, but fans that have to drive, or would like to tailgate and enjoy the game. Even an hour would help, to 12 central. And, the atmosphere at those 11am games isn't as good.

So I'm a fan of more night games - anything that moves games later in the day works for me.

Edited by IlliniKrush

BT needs to move their windows from 11/230 and put in later games. I don't think any fanbase enjoys the 11am games, and you've got half the conference on central time. It makes it harder for not only students, but fans that have to drive, or would like to tailgate and enjoy the game. Even an hour would help, to 12 central. And, the atmosphere at those 11am games isn't as good.

So I'm a fan of more night games - anything that moves games later in the day works for me.

Your primary TV rights holder, which in the BT's case is ESPN/ABC, is going to dictate start times. They want their #1 BT game on at 3:30 ET, so in order to get a game in before that it has to start at Noon ET.