Destinations for De Aza

GGajewski18

Seattle Mariners come to mind. Just read on mlbtraderumors that Franklin Gutierrez will not play for them in the 2014 season because of a relapse of his gastrointestinal injury.

All they have in the outfield now is Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. If they miss out on Cruz, I could see them definitely be interested in De Aza. Montero comes to my mind that can possibly help immediately from the Mariners.

What are your guys thoughts about this and where else you see De Aza is a good fit?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Is Jesus Montero even serviceable anymore? If so, is he any better than Phegley or Flowers?

I mean he only had 1 bad year, and that was last year in which he only got 101 at bats. He hit 208 with 3 HRs and 9 RBIs. But the year before, he put up a 260 batting average with 15 HRs and 62 RBIs in 515 at bats, and only struck out 99 times. Doesn't walk much though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I like the idea of picking up Jesus Montero, but I don't believe he is good enough to stick at catcher, and the Sox have enough of a logjam at 1B already. From the Mariners, Triunfel is a guy I like too, even if he's a similar player to Leury.

Yeah I was thinking about him too. I'm just thinking out loud here guys. To me Mariners make sense only if they miss out on Cruz. Would Franklin be available too or would he be worth more than De Aza?

SP18. Kudos to you, sir. Regardless of where this thread leads, and which or our esteemed posters decide to "Bogart" it with endless rehashing of the same posts as if they weren't fully understood the first 1000 times (we're all a little guilty, and it's especially acute in the absence of actual news), let me personally thank you for starting a desperately needed new one.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
I think they're going to sign Cruz and make Ackley earn it as a 4th OF. Not a horrible idea since Saunders might regress.

Seattle may be the match. Or any other all-in, piece-missing team. Don't need to root for injuries, but they'll happen anyway. Would rather get something more unknown than Montero, though.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Seattle Mariners come to mind. Just read on mlbtraderumors that Franklin Gutierrez will not play for them in the 2014 season because of a relapse of his gastrointestinal injury.

All they have in the outfield now is Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. If they miss out on Cruz, I could see them definitely be interested in De Aza. Montero comes to my mind that can possibly help immediately from the Mariners.

What are your guys thoughts about this and where else you see De Aza is a good fit?

Seattle has a really strange roster. Michael Saunders wil play CF for them. I believe that they sign Cruz and he plays RF. That leaves Montero, Smoak, Logan Morrison, and Corey Hart for LF, 1B, and DH. They obviously have Cano at 2B and Zunino at C.

Ackley and Nick Franklin are wildcards in all of this. It seems like they definitely have a logjam somewhere though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
Seattle has a really strange roster. Michael Saunders wil play CF for them. I believe that they sign Cruz and he plays RF. That leaves Montero, Smoak, Logan Morrison, and Corey Hart for LF, 1B, and DH. They obviously have Cano at 2B and Zunino at C.

Ackley and Nick Franklin are wildcards in all of this. It seems like they definitely have a logjam somewhere though.

Don't they have Morse, too?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Seattle may be the match. Or any other all-in, piece-missing team. Don't need to root for injuries, but they'll happen anyway. Would rather get something more unknown than Montero, though.

Problem with Montero is that he's a DH that really needs ABs this year. And we are the worst possible landing spot for a DH who needs ABs this year.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)

They also signed Logan Morrison and have him penciled in in right. If/when they sign Nelson Cruz, I really don't see them having room for another outfielder unless there's an injury.