The Cotts/Buehrle Situation

Molto

I know a lot of people, even Hawk and DJ, are questioning and complaining of JM's decision to start Neal Cotts over Mark Buehrle.

first off, people are making it seem as though Buehrle was skipped, he wasn't

second, he wasn't "skipped" because of health problems, but because why not give him a day off when you can, especially since there is a good chance he'll be pitching on three days later on.

three, our offense is rolling right now and guess who we face tomorrow? Nate Robertson, anybody know who he is? a guy we've never faced.

in short, we have/had a better shot at scoring runs off Mussina and supporting Cotts as opposed to scoring runs off a guy we never seen before.

also, Buehrle could've pitched today, pitched a great game and take the loss because we are facing Mussina, not a bad pitcher by any means. so we could lose the game and then have to try to pull off a win with Cotts on the mound, on the road, against a pitcher we've never faced and a team who isn't really good. at least Buehrle going on Friday we have a very good chance of taking two from the Tigers, which is what we need to do each series, win two.

the only reason I would've started Buehrle this game was because he wanted to start it and he deserves that, but all this crap about this being a big game and how it would be smarter would we have done it that way is crap.

I know a lot of people, even Hawk and DJ, are questioning and complaining of JM's decision to start Neal Cotts over Mark Buehrle.

second, he wasn't "skipped" because of health problems, but because why not give him a day off when you can, especially since there is a good chance he'll be pitching on three days later on.

three, our offense is rolling right now and guess who we face tomorrow? Nate Robertson, anybody know who he is? a guy we've never faced.

in short, we have/had a better shot at scoring runs off Mussina and supporting Cotts as opposed to scoring runs off a guy we never seen before.

also, Buehrle could've pitched today, pitched a great game and take the loss because we are facing Mussina, not a bad pitcher by any means.  so we could lose the game and then have to try to pull off a win with Cotts on the mound, on the road, against a pitcher we've never faced and a team who isn't really good. at least Buehrle going on Friday we have a very good chance of taking two from the Tigers, which is what we need to do each series, win two.

the only reason I would've started Buehrle this game was because he wanted to start it and he deserves that, but all this crap about this being a big game and how it would be smarter would we have done it that way is crap.

Preach on brotha' :lol:

what is the difference between today's game and tomorrow's game?

please tell me, because outside of pleasing Buehrle, there would be no reason to change the rotation simply at an attempt to sweep the Yankees.

thank you.

PLUS, and I think people ignore this too, IF BUehrle would have went today, Cotts would go Friday with guess who going Saturday? Jon Garland. nothing wrong with Garland, but he's had a career worth of struggles at Comerica in his career. he's also our fourth starter and a guy who has had his share of inconsistency. so you can set yourself for an overworked pen against a Tigers team, while your pen gets no work against the Yankees.

As stated in another thread I was indifferent on the whole thing. Earlier in the year Loiaza was being pushed back. I think you pitch your best pitchers as much as possible and you don't look ahead. Playing odds and such should be left to Vegas. Wright has bailed out Cotts again. Cotts really could be 1-3 if not 0-4.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Wright has bailed out Cotts again.  Cotts really could be 1-3 if not 0-4.

exactly.. so send cotts ass back down to learn a bit more. .and let wright take the 5 spot.......

From the way it sounds, the Tigers would have scored 5 runs off of Cotts in the first inning. Unless they go to a 4 man rotation, they've got to trot out a 5th starter some time. May as well be today. It's not exactly like the Sox have owned the Tigers this year.

All we are asking that 5th starter to do is give us a chance to win. Neal was more likely to give us a chance to win IN Detroit. he showed in his first game he lets his nerves get to him. Theres no doubt MB rises to the occasion. We would be looking at a sweep here with MB pitcking. And possibly another victory tomorrow, where Cotts would not have been as nervous.

pitching Wright instead of Cotts wouldn't be a bad idea, especially down the stretch when we are facing the Royals and Twins. also, Wright will likely be in the pen come playoff time, so starting him would be keep him active until then.

also, Buehrle could've pitched today, pitched a great game and take the loss because we are facing Mussina, not a bad pitcher by any means.  so we could lose the game and then have to try to pull off a win with Cotts on the mound, on the road, against a pitcher we've never faced and a team who isn't really good. at least Buehrle going on Friday we have a very good chance of taking two from the Tigers, which is what we need to do each series, win two.

I agree.

It's what's best for the team, not what's best for Buehrle. He'll get his chance to pitch in Yankee Stadium when it counts. Plus it's only 5-3, the Sox haven't lost the game yet.

Buerhle had his usual rest, he should have been in there. There is no guarantee Buerhle will win tomorrow at Detroit. Cotts was like a deer in headlights at Yankee Stadium. Veterans are intimidated there. Buerhle wanted the ball, you give him the ball. Who knows, maybe he would have been awful today too. But give yourself the best chance to win. The psyche of this team would be unbelievable if they had a sweep in New York. It wasn't fair to Buerhle,and it was fair to Cotts, who is not ready to pitch in the big leagues, let alone Yankee Stadium.

Guest hotsoxchick1

I agree.

It's what's best for the team, not what's best for Buehrle. He'll get his chance to pitch in Yankee Stadium when it counts. Plus it's only 5-3, the Sox haven't lost the game yet.

lol so cotts being started today against the yanks in the midst of a pennant race is whats good for the team??? come on guys your not serious here are you?????? that was probably the worst thing that jm and company could have done.. not only did they mess up our chances of winning today but they may very well have ruined any clubhouse attitude with everyone being pissed off about the decision and being forced to take sides on the decision..........this is not something you do when your going for a division title and playoff hopes...........

I agree.

lol so cotts being started today against the yanks in the midst of a pennant race is whats good for the team??? come on guys your not serious here are you?????? that was probably the worst thing that jm and company could have done.. not only did they mess up our chances of winning today but they may very well have ruined any clubhouse attitude with everyone being pissed off about the decision and being forced to take sides on the decision..........this is not something you do when your going for a division title and playoff hopes...........

AMEN

I agree.

and what would have happened if Buehrle lost 5-3 today? What if Cotts won against Detroit? What if Cotts beat the Yankees, and Mark lost to Detroit? A Win is a win, a loss is a loss.

You really seem to think clubhouse chesmisty is more important than winning. I think it's overrated personally. You claimed all the players we're pissed when the Sox got Everett, even if they we're, didn't seem to matter in the win-loss column did it?

Barry Bonds has a huge ego, and has been described as a cancer before, he and Jeff kent literally got into a shoving match in the dugout last year. The Giants came within a game of winning the World Series... Would you want Bonds and his ego in your clubhouse? I know I would.

Their is one reason this move could turn really stupid and thats because its creating news and stirring up the pot.

Why the hell do the Sox need a controversy like this when they are playing good baseball. Keep this players motivated Jerry...cause they are definately gonna need that motivation/focus when they go into Detroit. I think all of us know how they've done against the lesser teams, especially on the road.

Guest hotsoxchick1

cali with buehrle on the mound as opposed to cotts, can you sit there and honestly tell me that you think we would be losing this game right now????? come on .......it was a bad choice by management.. it stirred up the pot as jason puts it and its some s*** we dont need right now in the middle of going for the division championship and the playoff chances.... damn what part of this is everyone not getting??????? we dont need disruptions this far into the season... its not like we have a landslide over minny and kc right now and one f*** up and we can be sittin in third that fast... each and every game counts.. and when your in charge you do whats best for the team as a whole.. puttin a rookie in against the best team in the league is not a sound decision............

cali with buehrle on the mound as opposed to cotts, can you sit there and honestly tell me that you think we would be losing this game right now????? come on .......it was a bad choice by management.. it stirred up the pot as jason puts it and its some s*** we dont need right now in the middle of going for the division championship and the playoff chances.... damn what part of this is everyone not getting??????? we dont need disruptions this far into the season... its not like we have a landslide over minny and kc right now and one f*** up and we can be sittin in third that fast... each and every game counts.. and when your in charge you do whats best for the team as a whole.. puttin a rookie in against the best team in the league is not a sound decision............

I don't know what's the gonna happen during any game ever, so I can't really answer the Buehrle question. He's already lost 12 times this year, so he could have lost the game, he could have won it, I don't know. I can't see into the future.

On an unrelated point, do you have some kind of anonymity mode, where you never show up in the member's list, but post frequently? I just noticed you weren't on the list.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I don't know what's the gonna happen during any game ever, so I can't really answer the Buehrle question. He's already lost 12 times this year, so he could have lost the game, he could have won it, I don't know. I can't see into the future.

On an unrelated point, do you have some kind of anonymity mode, where you never show up in the member's list, but post frequently? I just noticed you weren't on the list.

no im on there you just have to look closely...... ;) this is early for me im usually one of the late niters......

no im on there you just have to look closely...... ;) this is early for me im usually one of the late niters......

Seriously you're not listed, at least on my computer. Not "looking at the topic, forum, or message board" It does say that there are "3 Anonymous Users"

All we are asking that 5th starter to do is give us a chance to win.  Neal was more likely to give us a chance to win IN Detroit.  he showed in his first game he lets his nerves get to him.  Theres no doubt MB rises to the occasion. We would be looking at a sweep here with MB pitcking.  And possibly another victory tomorrow, where Cotts would not have been as nervous.

DING DING DING...... You got it right on the head there. Cotts was nothing but red meat for the Spank-mees today.

Can you spell M-O-M-E-N-T-U-M?

Some of you seem to forget that this is a game played by men & emotions play a MAJOR part. The SOX lost 7-5 with Cotts spotting the Yanks 4 runs. The evidence is overwhelming that if Wright or Buerhle start this game the SOX win. Why?

They tagged Mussina for 3 runs.

They tagged the BP for 2 more including Nelson.

Now imagine both the buzz & MOMENTUM that would have swept over the SOX if they had swept the Yanks.

Manuel killed all that & for what? He's never heard of a pitcher going on 3 days rest followed by 5 days rest? Idiot extraordinare.

Buehrle wasn't going on three days rest.

Manuel just decided to give Buehrle an extra day off, nothing is wrong with that, especially when there is a good chance Buehrle will be pitching on three days off sometime over the next month.

also, why is everyone talking like Cotts is terrible and Buehrle is a god?

Cotts isn't a terrible pitcher, and even though he's young and wild, he could've just as easily pitched a decent enough game.

just easily Mike Mussina could've pitched a gem, or, hold your breath, maybe even Mark Buehrle would've been hit around.

I think this whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion and just another excuse for fans to complain.

I never seen a manager get jumped on so much for not moving a guy up in August for a game that is no more important than any other.

IF this were against the Royals or Twins, Manuel should be criticized for it because they are big games in big series; no reason to start Cotts when Buehrle is available. This series with the Yanks was huge, but this game wasn't. because of this, the rotation should stay as is, which it did.