Sox Eyeing Yankees' Catchers?

winninguglyin83

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
Austin Hedges is a top 3 catching prospect in the game in the Padres organization...watch for Grandal to be made available in the next year.

I'll be watching Hedges closely and hoping he performs well enough to make your scenario a reality. Will similarly be rooting for Max Stassi with the Stros'. And, will also be watching Trahan in the AZ system as thev'ye committed long-term to MMontero.

We really need a lefty or SH in this position, with a modicum of power.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I'll be watching Hedges closely and hoping he performs well enough to make your scenario a reality. Will similarly be rooting for Max Stassi with the Stros'. And, will also be watching Trahan in the AZ system as thev'ye committed long-term to MMontero.

We really need a lefty or SH in this position, with a modicum of power.

AZ recently said they were thinking about trading a SS for a young C to come up after Montero, so I'd guess Trahan is probably either unavailable or very disappointing.

Then again, practically nothing that Kevin Towers does makes sense to me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
AZ recently said they were thinking about trading a SS for a young C to come up after Montero, so I'd guess Trahan is probably either unavailable or very disappointing.

lol like trading a power hitting outfielder one off-season then looking for another one the next?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)

There was a time when I believed he was one of the better GMs in the game. He has been terrible to a Krivsky/Bill Smith type of bad over there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)

Yeah, or they don't see him as a C long-term. So young though, you'd think they'd give him a healthy shot at it.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Yeah, or they don't see him as a C long-term. So young though, you'd think they'd give him a healthy shot at it.

Hes still a ways away, and they are looking for someone to be able to step in next season. A Sanchez for Owings swap makes sense.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
I think they are looking to move Gregorius and just say a "young SS" to make them not look desperate.

I agree. I think they really like Owings. Which just makes the trade to acquire Gregorious even more baffling.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
There was a time when I believed he was one of the better GMs in the game. He has been terrible to a Krivsky/Bill Smith type of bad over there.

I read somewhere that basically he just gets players that he personally likes, dumps the ones that don't fit his "mold."

Seriously, think about how embarrassingly bad they'd be right now if Goldschmidt hadn't randomly turned into a monster. And he had a lot of talent when he got there.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Hes still a ways away, and they are looking for someone to be able to step in next season. A Sanchez for Owings swap makes sense.

Except that they have a huge commitment to Montero already in place, $50M thru 2017 season. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Except that they have a huge commitment to Montero already in place, $50M thru 2017 season. What am I missing here?

Here is the quote from Towers, he does not mention next season as I did:

""Our biggest needs in our system are catching," general manager Kevin Towers explained to AZCentral.com's Nick Piecoro when asked Thursday about the idea of trading a shortstop. "If it’s the right, top-notch catching prospect. Someone we could have right behind Miggy [Miguel Montero]. ... We have a lot of bullpen depth, infielders.""

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Here is the quote from Towers, he does not mention next season as I did:

""Our biggest needs in our system are catching," general manager Kevin Towers explained to AZCentral.com's Nick Piecoro when asked Thursday about the idea of trading a shortstop. "If it’s the right, top-notch catching prospect. Someone we could have right behind Miggy [Miguel Montero]. ... We have a lot of bullpen depth, infielders.""

They must not think much of Stryker then, because four years is ample time to move through a system. Maybe he can be had cheap.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
They must not think much of Stryker then, because four years is ample time to move through a system. Maybe he can be had cheap.

Stryker was never a sure thing to stick at C, they may see him as a RF down the road.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
But what if he only hits homers from here on out?

wow, never thought that far ahead. I just read about the wonderful exploits of players that we will never see on our team do well. That would be quite unexpected.

Edited by sammy esposito

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)

They're not projecting him as a C for future and playing him in LF....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Alexei would be such a perfect fit for the Yankees. Honestly I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.

What would they give us? We'd need something good back. Maybe their top catching spect and a pitching spect.

If you do that then Franklin for Viciedo actually makes some sense, because you try Franklin at SS and if he doesn't work there you either move him back to 2B when you deal Beckham of if neither Gillaspie/Davidson can stick at 3B he becomes an option there as well. Semien still isn't blocked, he just fills in wherever Franklin can't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Alexei would be such a perfect fit for the Yankees. Honestly I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Other than the fact that the Sox would then be major league shortstop-less, yes. It isn't an easy position to fill. Even the organizations that are always listed as the best systems, STL, TB, are always throwing retreads in to fill that position. If you have a good one, trading them, unless it is a crazy haul, is very dangerous.

Besides, if Stephen Drew is available for money and a 3rd or 4th rounder, it has to be less than what it would take to get Alexei.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Other than the fact that the Sox would then be major league shortstop-less, yes. It isn't an easy position to fill. Even the organizations that are always listed as the best systems, STL, TB, are always throwing retreads in to fill that position. If you have a good one, trading them, unless it is a crazy haul, is very dangerous.

Agree but what are we looking at here realistically as far as the official beginning of our contention window where we start signing FAs? I'm thinking 2015 is a little optimistic, probably more like 2016 & we start looking to trade prospects for proven players around the 2015 deadline if we're in it & we start looking at FA deals over the following offseason. If that's so, Alexei's probably not in our plans for that window & the Sox are probably going to be looking very hard at another SS to bring in alongside Anderson.

But that said, maybe the Sox feel Semien can hang there, or Sanchez, at least as a 2-3 year solution.

I'm not high on Cervelli for Beckham straight up, but I'd like to see Beckham moved before opening day. Let Semien start, and see how it goes while Sanchez and Johnson are playing in the minors. Hopefully by July, everyone is playing well enough, and they can trade Alexei and move Semien to SS.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
I'm not high on Cervelli for Beckham straight up, but I'd like to see Beckham moved before opening day. Let Semien start, and see how it goes while Sanchez and Johnson are playing in the minors. Hopefully by July, everyone is playing well enough, and they can trade Alexei and move Semien to SS.

I continue to think that the idea Marcus is ready and would benefit from a starting role in the majors in April is dubious at best, and I really dislike the concept of starting him at 2b, keeping him at 2b full time for half a season, and then moving him to a much tougher position.