Bulls make offer for KLove

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Trading Noah for Love would be idiotic. No way I'd do that.

With Thibs being a defensive minded coach, yes it may be, but you can't tell me a team would be better with Noah than Love. I really think Love is a top 5 player in this league, and with slashers like Rose and Butler having a stretch 4 clears the lanes up more for those guys to drive to the basket.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
With Thibs being a defensive minded coach, yes it may be, but you can't tell me a team would be better with Noah than Love. I really think Love is a top 5 player in this league, and with slashers like Rose and Butler having a stretch 4 clears the lanes up more for those guys to drive to the basket.

If he was a top 5 player he'd get his team into the playoffs at least once. He's a top 15-20 guy who pads his stats. I'd love him on the Bulls, but surprisingly I think i'd rather have Melo.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm swapping Noah for Dieng, there's a drop off there but it isn't huge.

Dunleavy for Melo, I don't even remember if Dunleavy was any good defensively.

Love for Boozer is probably a push if not a slight advantage to Love.

Taj for Payne, I've read mixed reviews on Paynes D.

We've seen guys like Nate Robinson and Kyle Korver come in here and play capable D. I think they'd be fine.

There isn't a sizeable drop-off from a guy that made first team All-NBA/All-Defense to a guy that only has 19 games where he played at least 15 minutes in his NBA career thus far? Interesting.

It would be extremely risky to go with Dieng and another unproven guy at center, especially considering that Love and Melo are both below-average defenders.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
If he was a top 5 player he'd get his team into the playoffs at least once. He's a top 15-20 guy who pads his stats. I'd love him on the Bulls, but surprisingly I think i'd rather have Melo.

Playing in the West makes it a lot tougher. Melo would be on a multi-year playoff drought as well if not for a weak Eastern Conference (no way that team wins 54 last year in the West). Hell, the Knicks didn't even make it in the East this year! Do you know how hard that is?!?!?

Other decent reasons Love hasn't made the playoffs...

1) He's only been KEVIN.LOVE. for 3 of his 6 seasons. He wasn't quite there yet his first two years (and Rambis was playing him under 30 MPG) and last year was a lost cause due to his hand injury.

2) KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Among his numerous other errors, he took two PG's in the top-5 and didn't end up with Steph Curry or Ty Lawson. We're not having this discussion if they get either of those guys.

Top-5 is a bit much, but he's clearly a stud player. He's much better on offense than defense, but the same can be said for numerous other top players. Put him in a frontcourt with Noah and it's much less of an issue. While Noah for Love makes sense in a vacuum, it's going to be hard to fill in the rest of the roster unless absolutely everything goes right. Rose/Love/Noah is something you can easily work with and the same can be said for Melo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
I don't think significantly downgrading our C position to significantly upgrade our PF is what anyone on bulls would be looking for.

We'd also be the first team to ever give up that much for a superstar.

Love is hardly a "superstar".

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 06:35 AM)
Love is hardly a "superstar".

26-12-4 at age 25 is very similar to Charles Barkley.

When he came into the league, he wasn't a 3 point shooter. He has gotten better every year. That a player like him is available at this age is incredible.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
26-12-4 at age 25 is very similar to Charles Barkley.

When he came into the league, he wasn't a 3 point shooter. He has gotten better every year. That a player like him is available at this age is incredible.

On a really bad team though. I read somewhere, maybe a Zach Lowe article, that a lot of his teammates don't like him because he pads stats. Gets out of position to get a rebound, for example.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
On a really bad team though. I read somewhere, maybe a Zach Lowe article, that a lot of his teammates don't like him because he pads stats. Gets out of position to get a rebound, for example.

I don't understand the concept of getting out of position to get a rebound. If he got the rebound, it's a lot better than being in postion, whatever that means, and having an opponent get the rebound.

Love does have his warts. His D is a big concern. His play down the stretch of games. But he's a pretty sweet player.

It would be a huge committment, both financially and with players and/or draft picks to get him, so the negative on him will always come out, but the Bulls can't continue business as usual or their window will close. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and this seems like a pretty good one if they can get him.

Edited by Dick Allen

They were 40-42 in the west, which would have been good enough for playoffs in the east by itself. Exchange the 50+ western conference games for Eastern conference games and they are probably a 50 win team.

Carmelo managed far worse actually in the east.

I also read some advanced stats that indicate he's not very good in close winnable games. He's a good #2, just not a superstar IMO. Then again, having bRicky scRubio as your best help...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't understand the concept of getting out of position to get a rebound. If he got the rebound, it's a lot better than being in postion, whatever that means, and having an opponent get the rebound.

Love does have his warts. His D is a big concern. His play down the stretch of games. But he's a pretty sweet player.

There is only IN position to get a rebound, usually on the far side of the rim.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)

It would be a huge committment, both financially and with players and/or draft picks to get him, so the negative on him will always come out, but the Bulls can't continue business as usual or their window will close. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and this seems like a pretty good one if they can get him.

I think his point was that he would leave his man to get into rebounding position, opening up better shots. He was sacrificing his responsibilities for the sake of getting the stat.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a great player. I just think he's a really good, all-start caliber player whose stats might be a little inflated given who he has played for and who he has had to play with.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Right. If you get the rebound you are in position. If he's padding his stats by grabbing rebounds, why would that be a bad thing?

The idea is that he is "out of position" by compromising his defensive position before the shot to be in position to grab the rebound. He'll gamble and teams can take advantage of his gambling (which they do) if they don't, then he can get the rebound.

I have heard that about him also.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
I think his point was that he would leave his man to get into rebounding position, opening up better shots. He was sacrificing his responsibilities for the sake of getting the stat.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a great player. I just think he's a really good, all-start caliber player whose stats might be a little inflated given who he has played for and who he has had to play with.

Didn't see this before my post. +1

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Love was 2nd to Noah in assists among bigs in the NBA last year, that doesn't sound like selfish player to me.

They also ran an uptempo offense and we're constantly behind with plenty of talented shooters around him. This isn't Joakim Noah in a conservative offense with jack s*** for offensive talent around him.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
While Noah for Love makes sense in a vacuum, it's going to be hard to fill in the rest of the roster unless absolutely everything goes right. Rose/Love/Noah is something you can easily work with and the same can be said for Melo.

The key to Love for Noah vs giving them a lesser package is not giving up their draft picks. Then with Love here they could trade Taj for another 1st rounder. That's 3 first rounders and enough cap room to potentially add another star, or at the very least a guy like Lance Stevenson.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
The key to Love for Noah vs giving them a lesser package is not giving up their draft picks. Then with Love here they could trade Taj for another 1st rounder. That's 3 first rounders and enough cap room to potentially add another star, or at the very least a guy like Lance Stevenson.

Taj would surely be going to Minn if we got Love.

I'd trade Noah for Love in an instant. Noah's stock is never going to get higher. He just came off a season where he made the All NBA first team and won defensive player of the year. He's going to be 30 next year.

Kevin Love is 25, offers way more on offense, is a monster on the boards, and can definitely improve defensively under Thibodeau.

Edited by chw42

Trading Noah for love defeats the purpose for trading for Love, which was presumably to field a better basketball team. Getting a bunch of 10-20 first round rookies to surround him and a broken Rose doesn't really do that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
Trading Noah for love defeats the purpose for trading for Love, which was presumably to field a better basketball team. Getting a bunch of 10-20 first round rookies to surround him and a broken Rose doesn't really do that.

Again. The move, at least in my scenario, then allows you to amnesty Boozer, trade Taj, and add another star.

I wouldn't hate trading Taj/Butler/Boozer and picks or whatever the speculated deal is one bit, I'm just much more intrigued by Rose/Love/Melo.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
The idea is that he is "out of position" by compromising his defensive position before the shot to be in position to grab the rebound. He'll gamble and teams can take advantage of his gambling (which they do) if they don't, then he can get the rebound.

I have heard that about him also.

That doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Sounds like sour grapes. To gather a rebound you have to box out (on a man) and be in a good rebounding position. Both of those are huge positives. If he left his man it would most likely be a layup resulting in no rebound. So the theory doesnt correlate.