Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
I wonder if the city will burn itself down if the cop isn't ultimately charged. After Monday's funeral you'd think it will be quiet there until the cop gets off unscathed.

When it comes out in October that they're not filing charges, unless they make an absolutely overwhelming case and put everything forward to convince the public that the guy completely deserved it, things will blow up like crazy. And they've shown absolutely no willingness to be open or honest so far, so there's zero reason to think they will in the future.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
When it comes out in October that they're not filing charges, unless they make an absolutely overwhelming case and put everything forward to convince the public that the guy completely deserved it, things will blow up like crazy. And they've shown absolutely no willingness to be open or honest so far, so there's zero reason to think they will in the future.

I'd hate to be a poor storeowner. They rebuild and restock and boom, this time their buildings will be burned to the ground.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
I'd hate to be a poor storeowner. They rebuild and restock and boom, this time their buildings will be burned to the ground.

Brick is hard to burn and a smart place should have insurance to cover that. The buildings should survive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 02:03 AM)
Brick is hard to burn and a smart place should have insurance to cover that. The buildings should survive.

I hope they all have insurance. During the next set of riots, it would be easy to just get out a match, pour some vodka on the floor, toss the lit match on it near some cardboard displays and get out of there; I'd think the place would be gutted.

Well, I was asking for an example in the thread....here I found one, a black officer shooting an unarmed white kid in UTAH of all places

Why isn't the media covering the killing of an unarmed white youth by a black police officer?

The case of Michael Brown, the unarmed, black teenager shot and killed by a white police officer, continues to make headlines weeks after the incident sparked riots and outrage in Ferguson, Missouri, and prompted a national debate.

Meanwhile, the case of Dillon Taylor, a white 20-year-old shot and killed by a black policeman outside a 7-Eleven in Utah has received virtually no media coverage beyond local news reports. His brother, who was with him at the 7-Eleven, says Taylor was unarmed.

The negligible coverage of the Taylor case by the mainstream media prompted many conservative critics to address the racial double standard. The Washington Times reports: "Talk-show host Rush Limbaugh blamed the discrepancy between the two cases on 'the liberal world view' that portrays whites as oppressors and blacks as victims."

The Times noted that CNN news host Jake Tapper acknowledged the discrepancy between the two cases, and noted that "the press often undercovers such topics as inner-city violence and the high rates of black-on-black crime."

According to Tapper, though, the Brown case is more newsworthy because of the national reaction it sparked, though some question whether the excessive media coverage of the violent protests actually served to fuel them. - - Teresa Mull

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Well, I was asking for an example in the thread....here I found one, a black officer shooting an unarmed white kid in UTAH of all places

Why isn't the media covering the killing of an unarmed white youth by a black police officer?

The case of Michael Brown, the unarmed, black teenager shot and killed by a white police officer, continues to make headlines weeks after the incident sparked riots and outrage in Ferguson, Missouri, and prompted a national debate.

Meanwhile, the case of Dillon Taylor, a white 20-year-old shot and killed by a black policeman outside a 7-Eleven in Utah has received virtually no media coverage beyond local news reports. His brother, who was with him at the 7-Eleven, says Taylor was unarmed.

The negligible coverage of the Taylor case by the mainstream media prompted many conservative critics to address the racial double standard. The Washington Times reports: "Talk-show host Rush Limbaugh blamed the discrepancy between the two cases on 'the liberal world view' that portrays whites as oppressors and blacks as victims."

The Times noted that CNN news host Jake Tapper acknowledged the discrepancy between the two cases, and noted that "the press often undercovers such topics as inner-city violence and the high rates of black-on-black crime."

According to Tapper, though, the Brown case is more newsworthy because of the national reaction it sparked, though some question whether the excessive media coverage of the violent protests actually served to fuel them. - - Teresa Mull

?? I posted this story in response to your request.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Who cares about internal audits, i'm talking civil cases. There are a s*** ton of those and they are successful. Hell, I owe my job to my firm obtaining a 2.5 million dollar verdict in a police brutality case. And it wasn't even that strong of a case.

Oh but you want to fire the incompetent cop too. Well, as i'm sure you're aware, they're fully unionized and those police unions are powerful sons of b****es, so good luck with that.

While those types of cops out there exist, and they're mostly control freaks and assholes, you still bite your tongue and follow their instructions. And you do that because you know that it's just going to be a bigger pain in the ass if you speak up. My wife and I just had this happen to us over parking (standing) in a handicap spot for literally 5 seconds. I wanted to scream at the cop and get his badge number and raise hell for being an asshole about the whole thing. But ya know what, I didn't. And after 3 minutes he gave us a warning and let us go. And while I was pissed, it was done and over with and life moved on. Had I been an ass about it, it would have been 100 times worse i'm sure.

So like telling your parents or your boss what's what, you close your mouth, you deal with it, and everyone moves on. That's how most civilized people operate. When you scream at cops and yell at cops and disobey orders, like parents or bosses, they get pissed and they'll lash out in response.

Wanted to follow up this post with this editorial in the NYT about judicial immunity for government entities and often times even government actors and how it makes holding people accountable for their abuses very difficult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/opinion/...-share&_r=0

Because it is so difficult to sue government entities, most victims’ only recourse is to sue the officers involved. But here, too, the Supreme Court has created often insurmountable obstacles. The court has held that all government officials sued for monetary damages can raise “immunity” as a defense. Police officers and other law enforcement personnel who commit perjury have absolute immunity and cannot be sued for money, even when it results in the imprisonment of an innocent person. A prosecutor who commits misconduct, as in Mr. Thompson’s case, also has absolute immunity to civil suits.

When there is not absolute immunity, police officers are still protected by “qualified immunity” when sued for monetary damages. The Supreme Court, in an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia in 2011, ruled that a government officer can be held liable only if “every reasonable official” would have known that his conduct was unlawful. For example, the officer who shot Michael Brown can be held liable only if every reasonable officer would have known that the shooting constituted the use of excessive force and was not self-defense.

The Supreme Court has used this doctrine in recent years to deny damages to an eighth-grade girl who was strip-searched by school officials on suspicion that she had prescription-strength ibuprofen. It has also used it to deny damages to a man who, under a material-witness warrant, was held in a maximum-security prison for 16 days and on supervised release for 14 months, even though the government had no intention of using him as a material witness or even probable cause to arrest him. In each instance, the court stressed that the government officer could not be held liable, even though the Constitution had clearly been violated.

Taken together, these rulings have a powerful effect. They mean that the officer who shot Michael Brown and the City of Ferguson will most likely never be held accountable in court. How many more deaths and how many more riots will it take before the Supreme Court changes course?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Wanted to follow up this post with this editorial in the NYT about judicial immunity for government entities and often times even government actors and how it makes holding people accountable for their abuses very difficult.

The entities have immunity, but not for willful wanton conduct. And while the individual officers also sometimes have complete immunity, they're probably not paying out money anyway. It's always going to be the municipality. And they're more important since they have insurance money.

edit: the prosecutor immunity is a little troubling. I get the need for it, but there was a case in Texas where a guy spent like 30 years behind bars and it was all due to the prosecutor deliberately withholding evidence. It was something simple, like an evidence locker record, which would have cleared the guy. But the prosecutor hid it on purpose because they had no other suspects or lead in the murder and he wanted that conviction. The prosecutor eventually became a judge too.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
The entities have immunity, but not for willful wanton conduct. And while the individual officers also sometimes have complete immunity, they're probably not paying out money anyway. It's always going to be the municipality. And they're more important since they have insurance money.

edit: the prosecutor immunity is a little troubling. I get the need for it, but there was a case in Texas where a guy spent like 30 years behind bars and it was all due to the prosecutor deliberately withholding evidence. It was something simple, like an evidence locker record, which would have cleared the guy. But the prosecutor hid it on purpose because they had no other suspects or lead in the murder and he wanted that conviction. The prosecutor eventually became a judge too.

Also happened in St. Louis.

This type of misconduct costs the state so much too, because almost every conviction then has a reasonable repeal.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Audio recording from the area of the shooting that allegedly has the gunshots in the background.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/us/michael-b....html?hpt=hp_t1

Total of 10 shots fired, including a pause in the middle.

Heard somewhere this might be a hoax tape. In this day and age, you really truly cannot believe anything you hear in the media.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)

Cops need qualified immunity though, because for every legit excessive force claim there's five bulls*** ones. It's a balance.

And the "reasonable officer" standard is practically the same as every other "reasonable person" standard found throughout the law, and those are everywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
Heard somewhere this might be a hoax tape. In this day and age, you really truly cannot believe anything you hear in the media.

Yeah, CNN, who lambasted people for running with 'unverified' medical reports about a broken eye socket jumped in head first with an unverified audio tape, because, you know, it COULD be real.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
Yeah, CNN, who lambasted people for running with 'unverified' medical reports about a broken eye socket jumped in head first with an unverified audio tape, because, you know, it COULD be real.

The source for the audio tape, which the FBI is apparently reviewing, was not the dumbest man on the internet aka Jim Hoft so they've already a leg up on credibility there.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)

Wait are you saying CNN wouldn't with a false report?

Uh they've f***ed up just about every major news story in the past few years, including this one already. "Obamacare rejected by Supreme Court" "Boston Marathon bomber in custody" "Flight 370 abducted by aliens". They have a way, way worse track record than MSNBC and Fox which is just incredible if you think about it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Wait are you saying CNN wouldn't with a false report?

Uh they've f***ed up just about every major news story in the past few years, including this one already. "Obamacare rejected by Supreme Court" "Boston Marathon bomber in custody" "Flight 370 abducted by aliens". They have a way, way worse track record than MSNBC and Fox which is just incredible if you think about it.

MSNBC and Fox are very biased. CNN is just inaccurate. They all suck, just in different ways.

Michael Brown's Mom Laid Flowers Where He Was Shot—and Police Crushed Them

New details emerge about callous tactics that fueled anger in Ferguson.

As darkness fell on Canfield Drive on August 9, a makeshift memorial sprang up in the middle of the street where Michael Brown’s body had been sprawled in plain view for more than four hours. Flowers and candles were scattered over the bloodstains on the pavement. Someone had affixed a stuffed animal to a streetlight pole a few yards away. Neighborhood residents and others were gathering, many of them upset and angry.

Soon, police vehicles reappeared, including from the St. Louis County Police Department, which had taken control of the investigation. Several officers emerged with dogs. What happened next, according to several sources, was emblematic of what has inflamed the city of Ferguson, Missouri, ever since the unarmed 18-year-old was gunned down: An officer on the street let the dog he was controlling urinate on the memorial site.

The incident was related to me separately by three state and local officials who worked with the community in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. One confirmed that he interviewed an eyewitness, a young woman, and pressed her on what exactly she saw. “She said that the officer just let the dog pee on it,” that official told me. “She was very distraught about it.” The identity of the officer who handled the dog and the agency he was with remain unclear.