Non-Roster Invites

flavum

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
If the Sox are smart they don't skip anyone and give Sale and Q who have been shown to tire at the end of the season more rest early on. With the hope of playoffs this year the Sox may want to decrease the starts a little.

i have been complaining about this the whole offseason. what are the backup plans for pitchers who never had a full season without injury, now have to have extra innings to pitch b/c of the playoff. that is why i been spouting off on a 6 man rotation to rest the main pitchers. all this crap of, well the pitchers know how important playoff are and will dig deeper.

that is bull if their whole resources are spent.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
They have always been smart about that. They very rarely use the start skip, unless it is to rest someone. While they believe in higher pitch counts during games, they seem to be smart about managing the total innings over a year, and how hard a pitcher works over a period of time. To me, its seemed like it works because they have been remarkably healthy over the last decade plus.

that is why having a pitcher like Carroll will come in. while he is not #1-3/4 kind of a pitcher, he will provide innings and keep the team in the game. that is what i am looking for in Danks and Hector.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
In my opinion, if Scott Carroll starts a game for the 2015 White Sox, something went terribly wrong.

well the sox are not going out to get anymore quality arms and are hoping for some reclamation projected player. they shouldn't even pencil in Rodon in unless it is guarantee that he will and can perform well enuf.

so who else is there. Beck, Erik Johnson, who..... this team is still thin.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Is Carroll better than: Robertson, Petricka, Guerra, Webb, Putnam, Jennings, or Duke? If Crain is healthy somehow that leaves another spot. Not to mention guys like Onelki Garcia and Cleto. I take my best 7. Carroll isn't one of them. He starts in Charlotte or goes to another organization.

He doesn't need to be one of the 7 best pitchers to make the staff better. Having a guy to suck up 3-4 innings and save a bullpen with guys like Noesi and Danks at the back of the rotation could be worth way more than having Dan Webb in the pen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Disagree. The 5th starter is there to service the other four. Plus there is a Monday/Thursday off day the second week.

If the Sox don't lean on Sale, Samardzija, and Quintana for 33 starts, that would be a mistake.

Sale and Q have shown they tire at the end of the season. The Sox may have a better overall season with them in that many starts but will pay with poorer performance at the end of the season/playoffs.

The 5th serves to space out the starts of the first four. I think it's a mistake to give Sale and Q that many starts.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Sale and Q have shown they tire at the end of the season. The Sox may have a better overall season with them in that many starts but will pay with poorer performance at the end of the season/playoffs.

The 5th serves to space out the starts of the first four. I think it's a mistake to give Sale and Q that many starts.

So are you suggesting that we occasionally skip their turns in the rotation and give someone like Scott Carroll a spot start?

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
i have been complaining about this the whole offseason. what are the backup plans for pitchers who never had a full season without injury, now have to have extra innings to pitch b/c of the playoff. that is why i been spouting off on a 6 man rotation to rest the main pitchers. all this crap of, well the pitchers know how important playoff are and will dig deeper.

that is bull if their whole resources are spent.

A six man rotation for the whole season is too much rest, I think. There is a fine line in workload for a pitcher. I think guys like Samardja can handle it. Guys like Sale and Q need a break. You can't treat them all the same once they've shown you what they can do at the MLB level.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
So are you suggesting that we occasionally skip their turns in the rotation and give someone like Scott Carroll a spot start?

No. Not Carroll. I say you stick to the 5 man rotation and don't skip the 5th man on days off. That way the Sox will space out the starts for Sale and Q. The 5th man would currently be Danks or Noesi.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)

yes and even that may not help much. there is no denying the dog days of summer, the late july and aug months. this team management has to think about this, this team is capable of doing something special. lets not screw it up.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
A six man rotation for the whole season is too much rest, I think. There is a fine line in workload for a pitcher. I think guys like Samardja can handle it. Guys like Sale and Q need a break. You can't treat them all the same once they've shown you what they can do at the MLB level.

and i agree, i am saying in and around the ASG to start this. damn even give the main 3 sp a week off in aug.

maybe i am over thinking, but this team...... i wish i really can explain what i see in the team potential.

First 11 starts, I have Sale going on 4 days rest five times, and 5 days rest six times.

For Samardzija, Quintana, and Danks, I have them going 4 days rest six times, 5 days rest four times, and 6 days rest once.

If they can't handle that, then shut down baseball forever.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)

If Rodon is up they'll almost certainly have to skip his turn in the rotation every 3-4 weeks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
First 11 starts, I have Sale going on 4 days rest five times, and 5 days rest six times.

For Samardzija, Quintana, and Danks, I have them going 4 days rest six times, 5 days rest four times, and 6 days rest once.

this discussion is not whether they can handle it or not. it is to get them ready for the important part of the season. the wild card / playoff.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
this discussion is not whether they can handle it or not. it is to get them ready for the important part of the season. the wild card / playoff.

Ok. For Sale, Samadzija, and Quintana- 18 starts before the break. 15 starts after the break. And Sale ready to start Game 163 if they need it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)
If Rodon is up they'll almost certainly have to skip his turn in the rotation every 3-4 weeks.

exactly, expecting a rookie to come in and pitch like a vet in the middle of the playoff run. now if this was Mark Buehrle, he was an ox who could handle the work load.

the playoff for me is the important part for next yr. Rodon will have a great career, just groom him for the following yr + .

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)

Sale has shown he does need to be shut down for a time during seasons.

I would not have Sale and Q going on 4 days rest. Again, they have shown they wear down at the end of the season. The others seem to be able to handle it. You can have them do it but they will pay the price at the end of the season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
Ok. For Sale, Samadzija, and Quintana- 18 starts before the break. 15 starts after the break. And Sale ready to start Game 163 if they need it.

Sale is the key and for me Rodon as well. how many times has Sale missed games in the past b/c on injury??? Rodon Sam and Quin will be pitching a lot of innings, innings they are not used to.

here is another point, i hate to even say this, but what happen if injury bug happens to the starters, all this is needed to be thought of. i rather go into the playoff with a well rested, injury free pitching rotation, chomping at the bit to get it on.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Sale is the key and for me Rodon as well. how many times has Sale missed games in the past b/c on injury??? Rodon Sam and Quin will be pitching a lot of innings, innings they are not used to.

here is another point, i hate to even say this, but what happen if injury bug happens to the starters, all this is needed to be thought of. i rather go into the playoff with a well rested, injury free pitching rotation, chomping at the bit to get it on.

The answer continues to be we do the best we can. You can only do so much if an injury happens, you can't just have all stars sitting there waiting in every spot, sometimes you have to live and die with what happens on the field.

If Robin tries to kill abreu like he did last year and knocks him out for a good stretch of time, there's no way we're going to make up that offense, we just have to get through that time as well as we can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
The answer continues to be we do the best we can. You can only do so much if an injury happens, you can't just have all stars sitting there waiting in every spot, sometimes you have to live and die with what happens on the field.

If Robin tries to kill abreu like he did last year and knocks him out for a good stretch of time, there's no way we're going to make up that offense, we just have to get through that time as well as we can.

that is funny to even visualize. nice one.

but with ref to the other sentence, by this and the past tweets, the sox are done adding. all the lip services that is and will gone is nothing but lip service. maybe to try to build up hype. penciling in Rodon as a starter is what they have plan and with no viable backup for the starting pen. except for E. Johnson, Beck and Montas. why are they beating around the bush, just tell the truth. what they assembled now is what we as fans will expect to see during the season.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Sox signed Engel Beltre, the once highly touted 5 tool prospect out of Dominican Republic. Could see him competing with Shuck for the 4th outfielder spot.

Not unless there are major injuries. He was at AA last year, and this is just a minor league depth move.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
As far as I've seen, he's not a non-roster invitee.

Matt Eddy ‏@MattEddyBA 24h24 hours ago

#WhiteSox sign CF Engel Beltre to minor league deal. He's a terrific defensive player but also a career .248/.296/.361 hitter at Double-A.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Not unless there are major injuries. He was at AA last year, and this is just a minor league depth move.

Not sure if you are looking at the right guy, Beltre spent all of 2013 in Triple A and made it to the bigs in September. He was hurt most of last season and spent 1 game in Double A for rehab. His offensive output is respectable for a defense and speed guy 3 out of the past 4 seasons leading up to the injury. I don't think he'd do any worse than what we originally expected out of Danks, and he certainly carries more upside with him.