2015-16 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still have no idea how Oklahoma would get in over ND. Considering ND took a team to the woodshed that Oklahoma lost too.

Winning a conference matters, plus Oklahoma would have wins over ranked Baylor TCU and Ok St teams. I'm biased so clearly I think ND deserves it, but I'm not convinced the committee will agree.

Still, if Brian Kelly isn't a f***ing moron, ND at least goes to OT with Clemson and maybe wins and then there's no question.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Played golf with three Iowa fans today. All I heard was " they would never fire Ferentz". That narrative changes more than any other in conference

No...I've made that statement for a long long time. I'm not delusional...I know we won't contend every year, but will be competitive every year with the occasional well above average years and you know what, that is just fine in my book.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 05:57 AM)
You should read the Fire Kirk Ferentz Facebook page and those are comments from this year. It is amazing how many Iowa fans can't get in touch with reality. There are posts that say he is being out coached this year. The team has 8 four star recruits on its roster, and no 5 star.

When he finally does leave, they aren't going to know what hit them. I don't know what else these people expect. It is really amazing. The team is 10-0 for the first time ever, and some people still can't enjoy it.

It is delusional fanboys who think that Iowa should be Ohio State or Notre Dame or Bama. It just isn't realistic. What Ferentz has done at Iowa is awesome (when you look at it from a realistic fan perspective...not some delusional we should win the title). I still think it is crazy that Iowa had a team who in my mind was a national title team (the team that lost to USC in the Orange Bowl or whatever it was). That team had lost to ISU early in the year and crushed everyone. They got destroyed in the bowl against USC (with Carson Palmer) but it was more driven by the fact that no one knew what the hell to do / handle that 7+ week delay. Brad Banks was really good.

Its funny cause Ferentz has probably had 4-5 teams that were on paper far superior to this team.

By my count, there are still 17 teams that can potentially make the playoff: any ACC, BIG, SEC or PAC-12 team that has 2 or fewer losses and can still potentially win their conference's championship game; any Big 12 team with 1 or fewer losses; Notre Dame and Houston.

Yes, some of these are really longshots but there are scenarios that work out for all of them.

One of the 17 gets eliminated for sure when TCU plays Oklahoma Saturday as that is the second loss for one of them.

An Iowa win against Purdue or a Wisconsin loss to Northwestern eliminates Wisconsin and that is a pretty good bet.

An Ohio State win against Michigan State eliminates MSU.

An Oklahoma State win against Baylor eliminates Baylor.

Other teams facing survival tests:

Utah hosts UCLA

Michigan visits Penn State

Stanford hosts Cal

North Carolina visits Virginia Tech

Clemson, Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame and Houston will all be huge favorites.

1. Clemson 2. Bama 3. OSU 4. ND

Hard to argue for me.

The committee chair said there was a decent gap between the top 4 and the rest at this point. Only two power 5 unbeatens on the outside right now are Iowa and Oklahoma St. Iowa knocks out OSU if they win out so that one takes care of itself. I still think it comes down to ND and a Big 12 team for the final spot (if ND can beat Stanford).

So there was a flight from columbia to Memphis to Houston last night.

At the very least we end up with Odom which I would not mind. But feels like we'll lose Kuligowski. At least we have Charles Harris, his masterpiece. 0 star recruit in the top ten in like, every category.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 04:22 AM)
Miami? If their next coach doesn't have ties to the program, I bet Illinois hires a better coach then Miami. Miami is one awful, awful job.

But yeah Herman wasnt coming to Illinois regardless.

Miami is still a better job than Illinois and it's not even close. And Tom Herman will end up at Texas.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:40 AM)
I think he has much bigger programs on his mind like USC or Miami or Texas.

I'm sure he does. I was just holding out a slim hope that Illinois could be his stepping stone until the perfect top job opened up for him. No chance for that now.

Miami is still a better job than Illinois and it's not even close. And Tom Herman will end up at Texas.

Miami is in a relatively weak conference. You could go to Miami and conceivably win a conference championship within 5-10 years. That isn't happening at Illinois.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
Miami is in a relatively weak conference. You could go to Miami and conceivably win a conference championship within 5-10 years. That isn't happening at Illinois.

Miami is a national name and a recent power, they are also in south florida aka the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Illinois is a middle of the road Big Ten team with almost no chance to win a national title.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:32 AM)
I'm sure he does. I was just holding out a slim hope that Illinois could be his stepping stone until the perfect top job opened up for him. No chance for that now.

Before he went to Houston they could of had him. Now hes in Texas where he is most comfortable in his best recruiting area. No chance for him to go to Illinois now. Illinois could have been that stepping stone for a few years before he goes to Texas....Or Ohio State (someday).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Miami is a national name and a recent power, they are also in south florida aka the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. Illinois is a middle of the road Big Ten team with almost no chance to win a national title.

50246-soooo-youre-telling-me-theres-P7Ga

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)

Lots of people disagree. On espn they were saying it's a worse opening than the Central Florida opening.

Again this only says how awful the Miami job is rather than anything about Illinois.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
Lots of people disagree. On espn they were saying it's a worse opening than the Central Florida opening.

Again this only says how awful the Miami job is rather than anything about Illinois.

Those people are idiots. Miami is a top ten job strictly based on recruiting alone.

I'll say this, it is VERY hard for all three major Florida programs to be good at the same time, so someone who can actually coach needs to come into Coral Gables or they will continue to do nothing.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Those people are idiots. Miami is a top ten job strictly based on recruiting alone.

I'll say this, it is VERY hard for all three major Florida programs to be good at the same time, so someone who can actually coach needs to come into Coral Gables or they will continue to do nothing.

They have terrible facilities but if you can recruit from that area, it's a very good job still. I think Mario Cristobol gets that gig and does a great job. Rock, where do you think Les Miles ends up? That situation fascinates me.

Not even close to a top 10 job. It's a terrible job. Bad facilities. No money. Alongside Texas, the craziest fans in the sport who will eat you alive...except unlike Texas they don't spend money on the program or even go to the games. It's under a NCAA microscope. What once made it a strong program is now gone. You'll still get some nice recruits but Florida is recruited 100x higher now by everyone then it was in Miami's heyday.

They do have a strong alumni network. So if they are able to hire inside that they can get a decent coach. But we'll see.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood