Adam LaRoche vs Adam Lind

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
It was earlier in the off season that the Sox did almost acquire Adam Lind, but was stated that the price was too high.

Given what we know now, would you have traded for Adam Lind or sign Adam LaRoche to a 2 year/25 million deal?

It doesn't look like it would have taken a top guy to get Lind, but one thing Hahn really like about LaRoche in addition to production, is make up, something Lind has had some problems with. At Soxfest, Hahn said when he was checking up on LaRoche, the comparables teammate-wise were Sean Casey, Mike Sweeney, and Jim Thome. With a team that probably could use a leader, (Sale could be one, Abreu not bad, but language issues still) LaRoche seems like a good choice to me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
It was earlier in the off season that the Sox did almost acquire Adam Lind, but was stated that the price was too high.

Given what we know now, would you have traded for Adam Lind or sign Adam LaRoche to a 2 year/25 million deal?

Lind has had some pretty scary years mixed in to some pretty awesome ones. I feel much better about LaRoche as a much more stable option. Lind feels like maybe a steroid case to me. No proof, just a suspicion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
Lind has had some pretty scary years mixed in to some pretty awesome ones. I feel much better about LaRoche as a much more stable option. Lind feels like maybe a steroid case to me. No proof, just a suspicion.

I dunno, the age thing is the counterpoint. Yes, better clubhouse presence, but guy in mid-30s who seems like he's putting up numbers that express a bit of an age decline (the increasingly bad performance against lefties could fit that). Even if he had a good season against righties last year, there's still some worry.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
I dunno, the age thing is the counterpoint. Yes, better clubhouse presence, but guy in mid-30s who seems like he's putting up numbers that express a bit of an age decline (the increasingly bad performance against lefties could fit that). Even if he had a good season against righties last year, there's still some worry.

Even with age, I think you have a more accurate idea of what Adam LaRoche you are getting vs Adam Lind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Even with age, I think you have a more accurate idea of what Adam LaRoche you are getting vs Adam Lind.

I'd probably agree with that but then add the caveat that LaRoche seems like a greater "falling off a cliff" risk, mostly due to injury/age.

I don't watch a ton of NL baseball (as my eyes are usually glued to the SOX), so I haven't seen a ton of LaRoche in recent years, but he sure has a beautiful left-handed power stroke. I look forward to seeing balls crushed over the RF fence. I predict a big year for Adam.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
... one thing Hahn really like about LaRoche in addition to production, is make up ....

How did that work out with Dunn? Thread should be Adam LaRoche vs. Adam Dunn ... No more low .200s Adams pls, mark my words.