2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of smoke that Cutler could be traded to the Titans

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 8m8 minutes ago

I'm getting mixed returns on these Cutler trade rumors but I will say that @dan_bernstein has legit sources & it's very likely true. #Bears

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 4m4 minutes ago

I will say, there was a rumor swirling last week about Cutler to the #Titans for basically the swap of 2nd & 3rd round picks. #Bears

Dan Bernstein ‏@dan_bernstein 10m10 minutes ago

Source: #Bears actively shopping Cutler, would move him for "reasonable return." Offers to this point have underwhelmed.

poll: what do people think Reasonable return is for Cutler. Honestly, swapping a 3rd for a high 2nd is too low. I would only take honest to god picks, or swapping firsts with titans. We would then have lots of ability to trade down and accumulate more picks.

We would also be tuwwible next year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
poll: what do people think Reasonable return is for Cutler. Honestly, swapping a 3rd for a high 2nd is too low. I would only take honest to god picks, or swapping firsts with titans. We would then have lots of ability to trade down and accumulate more picks.

If someone took his contract, I wouldn't want much of anything back to be honest.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Swapping 3/2s and getting rid of that contract is a huge win

I think they will get more. Something like swapped 2nd's plus a 3rd or like a 2nd or 3rd round pick on its own. I still think possibility exists for swapped 1st round pick and I'm sure that is what the Bears are pushing for.

I don't really think having Cutler on team for next year is that big of a deal. Who on the market do you want that cap space for this year? I don't think getting rid of him for nothing just for money next year is that important, those same deals will likely be there next year with even better contract to take on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

WOW.

Not sure if you have been paying attention, NFL draft picks are EXTREMELY valuable, especially the top 3 picks. In 2004, Giants traded the 4th overall pick, another 1st, 3rd, and 5th round pick to move up and draft Eli at number 1. 3 years ago, Redskins traded 2 firsts (1 being the 6th overall) and 2 second rounders to move up and grab RG3 at the 2nd pick.

In other words, you are expecting Cutler to at least worth both a 1st and a 2nd round pick. That's not going to happen, not to mention the $16 mil he's making next year. In fact, Cutler provides little to no trade value, we'd be lucky to grab any return for him, that's why there were rumors of cutting Cutler later this week.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
I think they will get more. Something like swapped 2nd's plus a 3rd or like a 2nd or 3rd round pick on its own. I still think possibility exists for swapped 1st round pick and I'm sure that is what the Bears are pushing for.

I highly doubt we will get more than a 5th rounder. You can honestly name 15-20 QB's who are better than Cutler, and most of them make less than him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
I really have trouble gauging this whole Cutler situation. If he's moved, do the Bears immediately become the favorite for Mariota?

It's probably the Eagles. It would take a ton for them to move up, but Chip Kelly has been doing some really weird things this off season, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I would bet the Jets look at him as well.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
I highly doubt we will get more than a 5th rounder. You can honestly name 15-20 QB's who are better than Cutler, and most of them make less than him.

Sure, but none of those QBs are available to the titans, if they do not like Mariota or value the 2nd for someone like Williams more. Titans execs need to win. They have shown no ability to improve for 5 years now.

But honestly for a fifth rounder there is no reason to trade cutler considering they will not have any upgrades possible. You may get more value next year with a much more reasonable contract.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
I really have trouble gauging this whole Cutler situation. If he's moved, do the Bears immediately become the favorite for Mariota?

Not unless we get the Titans pick. We might have strong interest for him, but we certainly aren't going to have him sitting their at 7.

If the Bears cant trade Cutler for a couple high draft picks like a second and third then they should just keep him. Yes those two picks would be an over pay for some dumb team but that's all I would trade him for if I am the Bears.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
Sure, but none of those QBs are available to the titans, if they do not like Mariota or value the 2nd for someone like Williams more. Titans execs need to win. They have shown no ability to improve for 5 years now.

But honestly for a fifth rounder there is no reason to trade cutler considering they will not have any upgrades possible. You may get more value next year with a much more reasonable contract.

He also won't be the quarterback of your next playoff team. It's also understandable if you want to get rid of his contract and invest somewhere else. Getting positive return for him is a win IMO.

I have to think if they could do a Cutler deal where they take on no new salary, they'd do it. They might try to hold out for better, but I'd really be surprised if they ultimately walked away from Cutler for anything that isn't some other huge contract.

Adam Schefter reported back in December that because of the 25 million in guaranteed money, the Bears might have to package one of their higher round draft picks to be able trade him.

That was three months ago and things may have changed, but it shows the the those guaranteed dollars weigh on a team.

The reason to trade Cutler is to save money and to get rid of the possible negativity he brings to the team.

Whether its true or not, that would be why you move Cutler. Because of that, its hard to believe that the Bears are going to get an amazing return for him.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
If the Bears cant trade Cutler for a couple high draft picks like a second and third then they should just keep him. Yes those two picks would be an over pay for some dumb team but that's all I would trade him for if I am the Bears.

I'm with you. No QB the Bears have over the next two years is going to be better than Cutler. Just keep him if you don't get what you want.

There are a few ways to build a good team in the salary cap NFL.

1. Get a good-to-great QB on his rookie contract and build the team with veterans alongside non-horrible draft classes. The Colts come to mind.

2. Get a good-to-great QB on a market value contract (e.g., huge contract) and build the team with great drafts and selected vet acquisitions. The Packers come to mind.

3. Get a good-to-great QB on his rookie contract, have fabulous drafts, and use your cap space to bring in some vets on short-term deals until you have to pay your young guys. The Seahawks come to mind.

The Bears don't have a good-to-great QB, they ARE paying a quarterback like one, and they don't have the young talent that would normally come from strong draft classes that could make up for expensive or ineffective quarterbacking. If you can get rid of the expensive, not-great QB, do it. Then, hopefully, your draft turns into a franchise builder. In the worst case, you can hopefully use your space to load the team with good veterans and get competitive while you look for a good QB (Arizona, kind of).

I'm not advocating keeping Cutler for the remainder of his contract, but he will be pretty easy to move after this year. I do not see the point in trading for a 5th rounder when his presence for 2015-6 his dollar amount is not affecting any acquisitions. This QB draft class is nothing.