2015-2016 NBA Thread

I just think it's going to be interesting to see what a different coach does with this roster. Will we see that taking the reins off on offense will lead to these guys suddenly being more effective or will we lose some of the discipline imposed by Thibs? Will we lose some of the 1on1 defense effectiveness we saw or will being more flexibile actually make this team more effective.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
I really, really wish I had Gage's optimism but they have no real shot. Still pumped to have basketball starting even if the Bulls just piss me off.

I'll play optimistic for now and think they have a chance too...but it takes Hoiberg winning coach of the year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
I'll play optimistic for now and think they have a chance too...but it takes Hoiberg winning coach of the year?

Removing injuries from the equation because the Bulls have just as many potential issues on that front as the other contenders, what makes you think the Bulls could beat the Cavs, Spurs or Warriors in a series?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Removing injuries from the equation because the Bulls have just as many potential issues on that front as the other contenders, what makes you think the Bulls could beat the Cavs, Spurs or Warriors in a series?

This time last year, who predicted the Warriors would win the title and 65+ regular season games? What about all those titles Lebron was going to win with the Heat? He only won two. Who thought the Mavs and Spurs would get past them? In reality, Spurs should have done it twice? Bulls are a very good team. Are they great, not yet, but whose to say they can't take that step forward. They could also take a step back...but bottom line, they have talent and they belong in the sentence of title contenders...title favorites, no way, but contenders, absolutely.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)

If somehow they all were healthy, there's 4 guys on that roster who have been all stars and all-NBA level players within recent seasons and then throw in Mirotic on top of that. If I could somehow pretend they all were somewhat healthy and injuries didn't sap their performance, that's pretty darn loaded.

Rose and Noah not being those players any more, Gasol not being able to be near peak level for 100 games, those are the kind of things where injuries have hit this roster worse than other teams and there's nothing I can do about that. I can, however, dream about 2013 Noah and 2011 Rose reappearing at least until the season starts.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)

Rose and Noah rewind the clock. Mirotic makes a leap.

It's a lot to hope for, but it could be worse.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
Rose and Noah rewind the clock. Mirotic makes a leap.

It's a lot to hope for, but it could be worse.

Realistically, I can see one of those three things happening and that is Niko stepping up in his second year. Rose and Noah both have some big mileage on their odometers. At their ages and the condition of their bodies, it is pretty unrealistic to think they both can go back to being their old selves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Realistically, I can see one of those three things happening and that is Niko stepping up in his second year. Rose and Noah both have some big mileage on their odometers. At their ages and the condition of their bodies, it is pretty unrealistic to think they both can go back to being their old selves.

Since it's "Best shape of their lives" time of year, I can even give myself reason to think that. "Noah had basically no offseason last year to recover from his surgery, with a full offseason he's certain to come back a lot stronger!". "Rose finally got a nearly-full season in last year including a taste of the playoffs, he's also not rehabbing for the first time in years, so he'll come back stronger too!" "Hoiberg will do a better job of figuring out matchups and won't force things like Noah and Gasol onto the court together when they're not working".

I know, it's not exactly likely, but it's the season where you're allowed to think things like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

Technically Rose has almost no mileage on his odometer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Since it's "Best shape of their lives" time of year, I can even give myself reason to think that. "Noah had basically no offseason last year to recover from his surgery, with a full offseason he's certain to come back a lot stronger!". "Rose finally got a nearly-full season in last year including a taste of the playoffs, he's also not rehabbing for the first time in years, so he'll come back stronger too!" "Hoiberg will do a better job of figuring out matchups and won't force things like Noah and Gasol onto the court together when they're not working".

I know, it's not exactly likely, but it's the season where you're allowed to think things like that.

Preach it brother!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
3 surgeries is a ton of mileage, even before you add in the minutes.

The 1st surgery was a big deal. The 2nd / 3rd were far less so, especially the 3rd. I agree he has his own issues, but he is still very young and has flashed explosiveness, especially in the post-season. I don't think it is unrealistic that he could get better explosion (especially in a back to back) after having a normal off-season (plus a season where he built everything back). Could he get hurt again, absolutely, but if he doesn't, I'd be surprised if he doesn't take a step forward. I would expect his game rust would be less, his passing would be improved, and overall conditioning and confidence to be better...let alone explosiveness from enhanced stamina, etc. I also expect Bulls to be smart to give him some occasional rest, etc. Similarly, I think Noah, who was terrible last year, having a regular off-season, should improve. I don't expect the Noah of 2 years ago but I expect a version better then last year.

Per some dude from the Score:

Cody Westerlund ‏@CodyWesterlund 9m9 minutes ago

Derrick Rose says he's already preparing for free agency.

Cody Westerlund ‏@CodyWesterlund 6m6 minutes ago

Derrick Rose says he wants to remain a Bull, just is well aware of the huge influx of money into league and rising salary cap.

3 retweets 0 favorites

Reply Retweet 3 Favorite

More

Cody Westerlund ‏@CodyWesterlund 9m9 minutes ago

Rose brought up his free agency in summer 2017 unprompted. The question wasn't about that at all.

I get that some athletes need to have the underdog/under-appreciated mindset, but this guy has been a frigging court-side chinaware display case for a few seasons now- yet anytime he opens his mouth there is a good chance you're about to hear (in some form) about some perceived slight/imagined grievance (of which the perpetrator is faceless). He tries to be cryptic or indirect about it, but fails, because it's one of the only things he ever talks about. Greg Oden had awful luck too, and he similarly had huge expectations, albeit out of college- did he spend 1/100th of the time Rose does crying about his numerous insecurities to the media anytime his mouth opened?

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I get that some athletes need to have the underdog/under-appreciated mindset, but this guy has been a frigging court-side chinaware display case for a few seasons now- yet anytime he opens his mouth there is a good chance you're about to hear (in some form) about some perceived slight/imagined grievance (of which the perpetrator is faceless). He tries to be cryptic or indirect about it, but fails, because it's one of the only things he ever talks about. Greg Oden had awful luck too, and he similarly had huge expectations, albeit out of college- did he spend 1/100th of the time Rose does crying about his numerous insecurities to the media anytime his mouth opened?

1. Greg Oden first had to deal with Portland media, not exactly Chicago.

2. Greg Oden probably very much had to deal with those sorts of questions his first 2 years, but no one heard them outside of Portland other than seeing "another injury for Oden".

3. By his 3rd year Greg Oden was no longer getting those questions because there was no chance of him playing any time soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
1. Greg Oden first had to deal with Portland media, not exactly Chicago.

2. Greg Oden probably very much had to deal with those sorts of questions his first 2 years, but no one heard them outside of Portland other than seeing "another injury for Oden".

3. By his 3rd year Greg Oden was no longer getting those questions because there was no chance of him playing any time soon.

4. Greg Oden was never the youngest MVP in league history, so while he had massive hype, Rose actual realized that hype early in his career and was a transcending star and one of the faces of the league (not to mention Adidas).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
4. Greg Oden was never the youngest MVP in league history, so while he had massive hype, Rose actual realized that hype early in his career and was a transcending star and one of the faces of the league (not to mention Adidas).

You could also throw in the $18 mil per year Rose is being paid if you wanted. And the fact that he's been a starter on a competitive team before.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/samsmith/ros...ong-summer-work

And this was at the USA Basketball camp in July in Las Vegas: John Calipari was there since, well, it seems like half the players in the NBA these days once played for him; just supporting his guys. One of his favorites, Rose from Calipari’s time at the U. of Memphis, was missing and Calipari was a little surprised.

So Calipari called Rose.

“I say where are you?” Calipari related during the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame week ceremonies earlier this month when Calipari was being enshrined. “He says, ’Coach, I’m telling you, I’m coming back.’ He said, ‘I want to win a championship for Chicago and I’m going to be the MVP again.’

“I hung up,” Calipari recalled, “and I went right to Gar Forman and said, ‘It’s back on. I’m just telling you.’”

I mean, I don't know how you can get that angry at rose. I understand getting angry, but it's hard not to just laugh at the absurdity of it. He's just so bad at the media. I think the dude just has 1-2 thoughts he can hold in his head at a time and the good news is it means he can work hard if that's what he's set to.

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 37m37 minutes ago

After Derrick Rose made his free agency comments at Media Day, I followed up with him on that topic during an interview.

Rose about his future: "I would love to stay here. That would be my dream to stay here, but in 2 years a lot could change. So who knows?

Me: A lot could change in what way? With you not wanting to be here? Rose: Who knows? 2 years is a lot of time, but I would love to stay.

Rose: It's not on my mind, but when you're talking about X amount of dollars. I think it would make anybody think about it.

About getting more money somewhere else? Rose: Not somewhere else. Your next contract. Period. My next contract period.