Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Did you hear about the offer to Tanaka?

It's funny that people see how the market has changed over the past 3-5 years & say what you quoted.

Teams make more & the price of players have gone up substantially. In the near future, the White Sox will spend on a big contract & this free agent market is the one to do it in if they are truly "all in".

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
It's funny that people see how the market has changed over the past 3-5 years & say what you quoted.

Teams make more & the price of players have gone up substantially. In the near future, the White Sox will spend on a big contract & this free agent market is the one to do it in if they are truly "all in".

Don't get me wrong, it will obviously happen eventually. I'll believe it when I see it, though. Would love to land one of these guys. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Was our offer to Tanaka ever revealed? A big offer doesn't mean a whole lot if you get outbid by $50 million.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Source: #Mets close to signing free-agent outfielder Alejandro De Aza.

Maybe another potential landing spot off the board. So what teams does this leave for the big three? After the Leake deal are the Cards out on one of the big three too?

I'm expecting the Cards to land Gordon if they really are preparing to move Holliday to first.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
So realistically, what teams are left that could be in the market for Cespedes' services? I can think of the Sox, Tigers, Orioles, Royals, Angels, and possibly the Mets. Are there any others?

Giants. They have $$$ and need another OF bat.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
So realistically, what teams are left that could be in the market for Cespedes' services? I can think of the Sox, Tigers, Orioles, Royals, Angels, and possibly the Mets. Are there any others?

I'd take the Royals out. I doubt they will spend money on anyone especially with all their guys free agent eligible after 2017.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Giants. They have $$$ and need another OF bat.

All reports out there say the opposite. Before the Giants signed Cueto all the insiders said they had $ for either a pitcher or bat. They went the way of the pitcher, after that signing I doubt they have money to sign one of the big three. Span or parra could be options but I don't think they have enough money for AG, Cespy, or JUP.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I'd take the Royals out. I doubt they will spend money on anyone especially with all their guys free agent eligible after 2017.

Royals are Gordon or bust Imo. And you're right about next season Rosenthal wrote about it this am:

"Here’s the catch for the Royals with free-agent outfielder Alex Gordon: Re-signing him would be a hedge against other Royals stars leaving in the future. But re-signing him also could make it more likely that some of those players depart.

Five prominent Royals — first baseman Eric Hosmer, third baseman Mike Moustakas, shortstop Alcides Escobar, center fielder Lorenzo Cain and closer Wade Davis — are eligible to become free agents after the 2017 season.

Hosmer and Moustakas, as Scott Boras clients, are unlikely to sign extensions. Davis’ price, if he remains a dominant closer, figures to be extreme. Escobar and Cain, as up-the-middle defenders, also could be expensive."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 02:47 AM)
Who the heck is Mibelt?

ESPN Deportes?

Is he Cuban?

Heyman eventually confirmed the Ramirez deal, and acknowledged the contributions of both Wesley and another Twitter reporter, Christopher Meola, who’d also gotten the jump on the information. Early the next day, Wesley, along with another baseball analyst on Twitter named Mibelt Rodriguez, accurately reported that the Red Sox were about to sign another prominent free agent, the third baseman Pablo Sandoval. Somehow, a fourteen-year-old kid from the St. Louis area had been involved in two of the biggest scoops of the baseball off-season.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-sce...itter-reporters

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 27, 2015 -> 03:04 AM)

Yeah, I just found that, too. It's an interesting topic with mlbtraderumors, and Bucket, Rock Raines and Rabbit on this site (rock apparently taking a step back this year).

From my impressions, Rabbit is the one most interested in making it a career endeavor. The crazy thing is that, like computer science, you're past your prime for the business in your late 20's unless you can develop a legitimate network of sources to sustain you career after getting on the radar for breaking a few stories and getting a paying gig.

It reminds me of 20 years ago when everyone wanted to study sports management/admin. Then writers for BA, baseball reference, fangraphs, BP, etc., starting attracting attention of front offices.

Now it's all about new media and social networks. Jay Mariotti got run over by harder working teens out to make a name for themselves.

Edited by caulfield12