Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
I'd be happy with either guy, but would prefer Gordon at this point. His OBP in the two-hole makes Abreu that much more valuable, plus he's just an all-around good baseball player (something this organzation desperately needs).

Good point. Is Melky going to be the #2 hitter if we don't bring in Gordon (as opposed to Cespedes)? I'd rather have Melky down the lineup a bit into a run producing slot and have Gordon and his higher OBP hitting in front of Abreu. Melky out of the 2 hole extends the lineup by pushing Frazier, Melky and Laroche further down the order.

Cespedes is a much sexier bat, but Gordon probably makes them a better team top to bottom.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
Good point. Is Melky going to be the #2 hitter if we don't bring in Gordon (as opposed to Cespedes)? I'd rather have Melky down the lineup a bit into a run producing slot and have Gordon and his higher OBP hitting in front of Abreu. Melky out of the 2 hole extends the lineup by pushing Frazier, Melky and Laroche further down the order.

Cespedes is a much sexier bat, but Gordon probably makes them a better team top to bottom.

Melky would bat 2 if we get Cespedes. He would bat 5th if we get Gordon. IMO

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
To me, it doesn't matter. Cespedes still plays decent enough defense that his bat could be worth more runs than Gordon's defense and his bat in the end.

Factor in the draft pick, Cespedes might be the better option.

I am having the same thought but I just cant get past the wild card that Cespedes is happily traded by everyone that has had him on their team. He has to be such a douche. However the Tigers seem like they have some interest to bring him back so he cant be that bad, right?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)

These are my predicted lineups:

W/ Gordon:

Eaton CF

Gordon LF

Abreu 1B/DH

Frazier 3B

Cabrera RF

Lawrie 2B

LaRoche DH/1B

Platoon C

Saladino SS

W/ Cespedes:

Eaton CF

Cabrera RF/LF

Abreu 1B/DH

Cespedes LF/RF

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH/1B

Lawrie 2B

Platoon C

Saladino SS

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:47 PM)
I am having the same thought but I just cant get past the wild card that Cespedes is happily traded by everyone that has had him on their team. He has to be such a douche. However the Tigers seem like they have some interest to bring him back so he cant be that bad, right?

He supposedly good friends with Abreu, so I'm guessing he can't be that bad.

James Fox

‏@JamesFox917

Seems to me that Cespedes talk is posturing for the #WhiteSox to land Gordon. We shall see.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 1m1 minute ago

Brian Bilek Retweeted James Fox

This. The timing of nat'l leaks is important. Sox are interested in Cespedes but Gordon is priority #1 this week.

It may be irrelevant but I just like the lineup better knowing there is a Lawrie in the bottom third of it. He at least has some capability of providing some offense but in a lineup that has Gordon in the two hole that bottom third of the order will be an anchor weighing that lineup down.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Max Wildstein

‏@MaxWildstein

Source: #WhiteSox were having "deep" discussions with Yoenis Cespedes before Christmas. Don't know where talks are now.

This kid/guy is a scout.com MLB writer with 9.5K followers, so it could be newsworthy.

Max is a good dude & a friend of mine but I've never once been convinced that he has any real 1st hand sources... Take it FWIW.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
It may be irrelevant but I just like the lineup better knowing there is a Lawrie in the bottom third of it. He at least has some capability of providing some offense but in a lineup that has Gordon in the two hole that bottom third of the order will be an anchor weighing that lineup down.

The nice thing about the 16 line up is that especially if we sign another OF, there are a lot fewer easy outs in it. Lawrie and Frazier are such huge offensive upgrades, and the catching position should be much more stable with Avila and Navarro back there. Soto gave a nice start to the season, but was a buster for the 2nd half. Flowers was Flowers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
James Fox

‏@JamesFox917

Seems to me that Cespedes talk is posturing for the #WhiteSox to land Gordon. We shall see.

Brian Bilek ‏@ChiSoxraBBit 1m1 minute ago

Brian Bilek Retweeted James Fox

This. The timing of nat'l leaks is important. Sox are interested in Cespedes but Gordon is priority #1 this week.

I disagree.

I'm of the belief that the Sox will not give up a pick to sign a free agent and that the Gordon interest was attempting to drive up his price.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Merkin doesn't think the Sox go over 100MM for an OF. That lines up with Gordon more than Yo. I think we can banish Upton from the convo.

Unless you get Cespedes on a 4 year deal with an option maybe.

4 years 80-85 million I think could land Cespedes.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
Merkin doesn't think the Sox go over 100MM for an OF. That lines up with Gordon more than Yo. I think we can banish Upton from the convo.

FWIW Merkin & Hayes were both saying they didn't expect any of the big 3 a week or two ago.

Well this thread just became a whole lot more interesting and its about time the rumor mill picked up again.

I'm really curious about the level of interest in Cespedes from the Angels and Giants. Both teams are sitting at about 165M in payroll so they could afford Cespedes without being hit by the luxury tax as long as Cespedes AAV does not exceed 24M. The Sox could have serious competition from those teams for Cespedes.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in these discussions.