2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Yeah and I wouldn't mind that. How much of China's economy do we account for? It's time to start exerting some pressure on them to kick NK into gear.

edit: obviously aimed at the first part of your post, not the second!

If the options are let NK saber rattle with the slight chance of nuclear proliferation vs. WW3, I tend to err on the side of let them saber rattle.

Granted, I'm no expert on Asia, but it seems like proliferation in Pakistan is way more of a threat than proliferation from a peninsula with China on one side and South Korea on the other.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
And his 7th or 8th wife in her early 50s recently cheated on him...considering yet another divorce. Probably needs the money.

Almost want to say poor guy, but bybthis point, hecshould have learned his lesson.

Was there ever a more overrated interviewer than Larry King? Maybe it was his age but his last few years on CNN were unwatchable.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
I think a few million SK's would mind being killed. edit: lol, your edit covers that

Plus the risk isn't just that there would be economic concerns but that something with China could turn hot, which would be awful.

I'm not too concerned about terrorists aquiring nuclear weapons because actually transporting, maintaining and using them is something that's really more in the realm of what a nation-state can do, not what guerrilla-style terrorist organizations could do. Even NK's nukes aren't really a threat to anyone unless they can put it on a rocket. Proliferation to other nations would be a bigger concern, but I'm not sure who else wants them at this point that would be interested in NK's tech. They're both a powerful asset and a huge albatross. This is mostly just spitballing though!

But I thought they weren't a threat?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
If the options are let NK saber rattle with the slight chance of nuclear proliferation vs. WW3, I tend to err on the side of let them saber rattle.

Granted, I'm no expert on Asia, but it seems like proliferation in Pakistan is way more of a threat than proliferation from a peninsula with China on one side and South Korea on the other.

Yet some technology got from Pakistan to NK.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Yet some technology got from Pakistan to NK.

So what increased response from the US is necessary here? NK has been sanctioned into oblivion. An actual invasion is WWIII. I'm sure that the US is putting diplomatic pressure on China for a stronger response from their end. What would you like for the US to do here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
The problem that this has been a situation that has been festering for a long time now, and what we are doing isn't working.

Exactly. I am very worried about NK starting a nuclear war. Their leader is dumb enough and has a big ego. They kill government leaders all the time in NK. Rodman's buddy would probably love to start a nuclear war at some point for the history books. Ego.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
So what increased response from the US is necessary here? NK has been sanctioned into oblivion. An actual invasion is WWIII. I'm sure that the US is putting diplomatic pressure on China for a stronger response from their end. What would you like for the US to do here?

I would like Obama to tell them if they test a nuke again, we're coming over and either they give us the nukes or we bomb the hell out of them. Threaten NK, Mr. Obama. Kennedy would have.

Read an article today about Hillary's appearance in KC this week. Officials expected a sellout crowd in one of the downtown theatres, maybe it was The Midland, I forget. Anyhow, the crowd was so bad they put up a big curtain or something. It shows again how America doesn't give a bleep about Hillary Clinton. The crowd on a beautiful day in downtown KC was MISERABLE.

BTW, in reading the story, she was speaking to some religious leaders as well who sponsored the rally. I know we have a lot of religion haters on here. You religion haters will not be pleased to learn Hillary quoted the Bible EXTENSIVELY in her long speech and mentioned God a lot and also said she was humble that she's been saved.

So Greg does despise Hillary, but I am happy our President is a believer.

GO SOX!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
Read an article today about Hillary's appearance in KC this week. Officials expected a sellout crowd in one of the downtown theatres, maybe it was The Midland, I forget. Anyhow, the crowd was so bad they put up a big curtain or something. It shows again how America doesn't give a bleep about Hillary Clinton. The crowd on a beautiful day in downtown KC was MISERABLE.

BTW, in reading the story, she was speaking to some religious leaders as well who sponsored the rally. I know we have a lot of religion haters on here. You religion haters will not be pleased to learn Hillary quoted the Bible EXTENSIVELY in her long speech and mentioned God a lot and also said she was humble that she's been saved.

So Greg does despise Hillary, but I am happy our President is a believer.

GO SOX!

Since when was Obama an atheist? She's not president yet.

As for Kennedy, if you know your history, the JCS wanted to do exactly that during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He learned from the Bay of Pigs to exercise restraint and do the exact opposite, following his brother's advice. They received two conflicting telexes from Moscow, and deliberately disregarded the one that was basically a declaration of war because they couldn't be sure who was actually in charge.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 04:58 AM)
Since when was Obama an atheist? She's not president yet.

As for Kennedy, if you know your history, the JCS wanted to do exactly that during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He learned from the Bay of Pigs to exercise restraint and do the exact opposite, following his brother's advice. They received two conflicting telexes from Moscow, and deliberately disregarded the one that was basically a declaration of war because they couldn't be sure who was actually in charge.

I'd say the odds of her being President are 99 percent. And the odds of her winning a second term are 99 percent. The odds of Chelsea probably 60 percent only because I'm not sure she wants it. I wonder if Mrs. Obama has any interest at all or if she's not into the political thing.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
You singling out that poster, when he's going back and forth with StrangeSox of all people, and not even mentioning StrangeSox's partisan bias says a lot about your own bias.

SS is what he is at this point. I don't know this brett05 guy and I don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Okay. We're one the same page then but you beg the question, what are any of us trying to accomplish here? :P

Good point haha

I'm not a liberal but ultimately, suppressing the right of people to vote is wrong. I just don't understand how some "patriotic" Americans think it's ok to do.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
It's never been an issue I've harked on personally but it's certainly an important discussion in states where your vote has a touch of influence. I am from Illinois though so voting is of no concern to me.

Yes, I agree combating vote fraud is important but actively trying to disenfranchise a group of voters is wrong. As you know, I'm black and get sick and tired of these old white f***ers trying to continuously screw over minorities because they think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Set up a biometric scan with your SSN if you really want to combat voter fraud but that would cost too much money. I mean you have f***ing register to vote to in the first place and have your voting card. When I went to vote in the primaries it was all electronic and you had to insert a card that had all of your information on it. How the f*** would someone be able to come in and vote twice like that brett guy was saying.

It's not some liberal conspiracy like he claims it's just old whitey trying to do what old whitey has been doing since the start of America.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)

Nah, we should just keep pretending nothing is wrong. That only allowed NK to obtain and test nuclear materials. No harm there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
As was doubling down on what got us here.

You still haven't suggested an alternative

ETA: I don't intend to downplay nukes in North Korea. But now that they have them, the options are either deal with them and hope MAD leads to them not using the nukes or an invasion which brings in China and WW3. Neither are good options, but I don't see a magical third alternative.

Edited by illinilaw08

LOL. I do a google search on Chelsea and get this predictable story. The women of the View helping Hillary out with softball questions to Chelsea. What they did to McCain that one year was criminal, Whoopi asking him if she had to worry about being a slave again if he wins.

Thank goodness I don't watch the View. I just betcha they asked her about her own presidential aspirations. Hell, why not make sure Hillary gets 8 years then Chelsea eight more. For the life of me I do not know why Whoopi thinks Hillary fricking Clinton is the answer to problems of African Americans. A rich elitist and black America just worships her.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-gr...and-trustworthy

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Nah, we should just keep pretending nothing is wrong. That only allowed NK to obtain and test nuclear materials. No harm there.

Great post! We have to do something big. Rodman's buddy is VERY dangerous, folks. He will lob a nuke at somebody at some time, you can bet on it.

OMG, many of you have screamed at me and told me to stop mentioning Chelsea for the Presidency.

Hmmm ... Greg isn't as fricking dumb as you think. Now it's on CNN!! She will not discount her political aspirations and already has Bill's support. Great. ...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...r-the-long-run/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/...nancy-president

16 straight years of Clinton rule, folks. Let's hope the Clintons know what they are doing.