Blue Jays, Wells agree on $126M deal

RME JICO

Toronto — The Toronto Blue Jays have made a formal contract offer to Vernon Wells that would put the center fielder comfortably among the top-10 highest-paid players in the major leagues and likely exceed the average annual value of the free-agent deal Alfonso Soriano signed with the Chicago Cubs this winter.

"We have made a formal offer," Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Tuesday night, although he refused to confirm a report on Yahoo.com that said he had "floated" the idea of a seven-year, $126-million contract to his Gold Glove center fielder.

That would make the contract the sixth-highest in baseball history in dollar value. In average annual value, the contract would exceed Soriano's eight-year, $136-million package.

"It's somewhere in there," Wells said Tuesday night from his home in Arlington, Tex., when asked about the Blue Jays' offer. "But to be honest, other than that, I don't feel under any obligation to make any more comments about it."

Wells, who turned 28 last Friday, is not eligible for free agency until after the 2007 season. But the Blue Jays are interested in seeing if they can sign him early.

If they can't, the team is left with a difficult decision: keep Wells, who hit .303 with 32 home runs and 106 runs batted-in last season, in the hope that he helps them win a playoff spot out of the tough American League East Division. Or trade him, with an eye toward bolstering its starting rotation. Ricciardi has said he would like an indication by the new year whether signing Wells is a realistic goal.

In an interview Tuesday, Blue Jays president and chief executive officer Paul Godfrey said Wells's status is "a very major issue in the mind of the media."

Wells was left off the Blue Jays' annual Christmas card and has not figured in any of the team's off-season advertising.

He will make $5.6-million under the terms of his existing contract, and the Blue Jays have already had trade feelers from the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...tsBaseball/home

Average of $18 million a year for 7 years.

Edited by RME JICO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Wow. How do you seriously turn that down? (Juan Gonzalez)

Exactly. Its not worth the risk of injury or a bad season to turn that kind of money down. Even if he could get a little more if he had a big season, he could also get a whole lot less. If he doesn't sign, IMO he has a bad agent.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Exactly. Its not worth the risk of injury or a bad season to turn that kind of money down. Even if he could get a little more if he had a big season, he could also get a whole lot less. If he doesn't sign, IMO he has a bad agent.

The only other reason I could think of is if he REALLY hates Toronto/Canada, or something like that.

He REALLY doesn't want to stay in Canada, I really can't blame the guy for turning down that deal if the main reason for rejecting it is the team offering him the contract. Last season the Blue Jays had to have been the whitest team in all of baseball Wells, Molina Rios and Chacin are the only non-white players I can think of that were on the active roster. He's said in the past that he's not comfortable on a team with so little diversity.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
The only other reason I could think of is if he REALLY hates Toronto/Canada, or something like that.

Bingo.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
He REALLY doesn't want to stay in Canada, I really can't blame the guy for turning down that deal if the main reason for rejecting it is the team offering him the contract. Last season the Blue Jays had to have been the whitest team in all of baseball Wells, Molina Rios and Chacin are the only non-white players I can think of that were on the active roster. He's said in the past that he's not comfortable on a team with so little diversity.

Bingo.

Interesting. I can think of about 29 teams the US that would love to have him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)

or another reason might be that its been his lifelong dream to sign with a certain american league team located on the south side of chicago for which he'd be willing to take a massive paycut.

... i have nothing to back that up.

If the real reason that he doesn't want to take the contract is because of the team offering the money, I'd love to see KW get on the phone and offer up the best package he possibly could without including one of the top five starters. Anderson + Fields + Broadway + ...

If Wells doesn't take this contract, Ricciardi's only other option (besides a trade) would be to let him walk for two picks. And I think the Sox can put together a package of players better than the two picks they'd get.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Are we talking Canadien or U.S. dollars?

Exactly what I thought, 126 million in Canada is like 900 thousand here isn't it? :P :bang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
sure is a lot money for a career .336 OBP.

The Cubs set the market on crazy contracts for guys that don't get on base with Alf.