don't stop now boys

Douglas Rome

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 25, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
we need a second baseman, and a third baseman, and a catcher? Why the

heck did we let AJ go? thanks, douglas

AJ used to be a good player. Not any more. Ask any Red Sox fan. He should stay home and manage his IRA.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 25, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
we need a second baseman, and a third baseman, and a catcher? Why the

heck did we let AJ go? thanks, douglas

Welcome to the best Sox site, let alone the best sports forum. btw merry xmas.

i can live with the players we have filling in the positions that you mention. i will get

on my boombox and preach. we need another arm. plan and simple, the sox

can go no further than the arm(s) can carry the team into the road of the playoff.

just read on MLB rumors, Balt may sign Rasmus to a 5-8 mil 1 yr

contract. i was wondering, could the sox use him as a platoon?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Sox aren't going to give 5-8 mil to a platoon guy, and I'm not sure who he platoons with, since the 3 OF are all pretty much full-time players. I think at this point, the only position left to fill is a RH infielder.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Sox aren't going to give 5-8 mil to a platoon guy, and I'm not sure who he platoons with, since the 3 OF are all pretty much full-time players. I think at this point, the only position left to fill is a RH infielder.

right now, i am more concern in having a backup plan / platoon for Avi and Eaton.

Now that it has become so easy to look up players' platoon splits, everybody has gone off the deep end on wanting platoons. A major league roster carries 25 players, and just about every team carries 12 pitchers. After 9 starting position players you have four bench spots left. Your backup catcher rarely is able to play other positions, so that leaves three bench spots to cover 7 other spots on the field. You don't have the luxury to really use more than one of these as a platoon.

The only guy on the Sox that is really a platoon candidate is Gillaspie. The other guys are going to have splits and you're going to have to live with them. If their overall numbers are good, then that's fine. Especially don't worry about lefties who have bad splits vs LHP. Remember, they are never going to have to face two of the three best lefty starters in the AL. Who knows, that may have been a factor in getting LaRoche. "Let's see, I go to the White Sox and never, ever have to bat against Chris Sale? Sign me up!!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
Huh? You can't have 2 platoons in the OF for guys who hit from different sides of the plate.

ok you are right .... again. i just think the sox need another player as they need

another pitcher. i don't see those players not getting hurt.

don't get me wrong, i would love to be wrong and i will admit it when i am. but

there are some concerns i have.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
Now that it has become so easy to look up players' platoon splits, everybody has gone off the deep end on wanting platoons. A major league roster carries 25 players, and just about every team carries 12 pitchers. After 9 starting position players you have four bench spots left. Your backup catcher rarely is able to play other positions, so that leaves three bench spots to cover 7 other spots on the field. You don't have the luxury to really use more than one of these as a platoon.

The only guy on the Sox that is really a platoon candidate is Gillaspie. The other guys are going to have splits and you're going to have to live with them. If their overall numbers are good, then that's fine. Especially don't worry about lefties who have bad splits vs LHP. Remember, they are never going to have to face two of the three best lefty starters in the AL. Who knows, that may have been a factor in getting LaRoche. "Let's see, I go to the White Sox and never, ever have to bat against Chris Sale? Sign me up!!"

you are right, and since i am really horrible on these advance stats. let me say, the sox

need a viable backup in the outfield.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 30, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)

The other part of platoons is unless it is a guy used to platooning, the lack of consistent AB may harm his performance vs. that split. Especially guys that kill lefties, since there aren't that many.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
The other part of platoons is unless it is a guy used to platooning, the lack of consistent AB may harm his performance vs. that split. Especially guys that kill lefties, since there aren't that many.

i guess in ref to situational hitting, will be dictated with platoon stats.

part of that is modern growth with the newest technology. i like

Conor, i guess i like the underdog, but i think this new season

will really define him in all aspects of the game.

QUOTE (Douglas Rome @ Dec 31, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
what/how much/was Keppinger? thanks, douglas

On December 10, 2012, Keppinger signed a 3-year, $12 million deal with the Chicago White Sox.

He was designated for assignment on May 14, 2014.

On May 21, the White Sox officially released Keppinger.