International Draft

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
I love that they are going to raise the signing age to 18 instead of 16.

Are they confident enough in documentation at this point that the end result of that will be actual age increases and not more document fraud? (Legitimately have no idea).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
I believe it said that players would have to be 18 by 2021. They could still be signed as 16 year olds.

I read that as by 2021 they'd have to be 18 to be draft eligible. Otherwise if that players drafted in 2018 had to be 18 by 2021, that would mean they would be 15 when drafted, not 16, and that doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
I read that as by 2021 they'd have to be 18 to be draft eligible. Otherwise if that players drafted in 2018 had to be 18 by 2021, that would mean they would be 15 when drafted, not 16, and that doesn't make sense.

Okay. So players could be drafted at 16 and 17 years old in the 2018, 2019, and 2020 drafts but 18+ starting in 2021. That makes sense.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
I am very opposed to the idea of an international draft, I think the current system they have now is good but it needs to be regulated better.

I am opposed to an international draft, but I am more opposed to the system we have now.

I want to see these kids not get a special status simply because they aren't American. Submit everyone to a world wide draft. It is the absolute most fair thing to do. The NBA can do it, as can the NHL. There is no reason MLB can't handle this.