Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

  1. Past hour

  2. Just blue check Sox accounts. The algo is straight garbage to be fair. You like one tweet and suddenly your entire feed is that account or topic. It's maddening. I actually have stopped liking or retweeing certain things just because I don't want my entire feed to be flooded.
  3. I can see how Connor is more like the platonic ideal of a "good broadcaster." I think he does a good job at what he does currently. He and Steve have zero chemistry, despite the fact that you would think Steve would have much warmer feelings towards a "standard broadcaster" type of personality. Yet Steve seems to really like Schriff. The secret sauce, IMO: you cannot approach Steve as an equal. His ego is too big and he will be cold to anyone that does not suck up to him. Schriff, who is at least 50% domesticated dog, badly wants to please people which very much includes Steve. I'd be fine if the Sox want to replace Schriffen but I won't be impressed if they just hand it to Connor. That said, I have a strong suspicion that Steve is not that easy to work with so maybe I am not being totally fair to Connor given that I have pretty much only heard him call games with Steve (often on short notice).
  4. Sox twitter is the worst. People are really trying to argue that John losing his job is some sad sack moment? GMAFB. In most universes that don't have an owner like JR, John is still doing slam ball and random Big East basketball games. He was over promoted. Oh well.
  5. That's why I mentioned him being a huge Sox fan. Normally that would be insane but if you get a chance to do pbp for the team you actually root for has to be enticing. It won't happen because Jerry would lowball him.
  6. There are LOT of guys out there. This IS the third biggest media market in the US that you will be getting about 150 chances a year to feature yourself to this audience. People pay a lot of dues to get a job like the Sox could be offering. If they want some of the best people for the job, they will be out there. I do worry that there could be perceived turmoil between what Hawk said about getting forced out by Boyer, Jason being essentially thrown out, and then potentially Schiff getting non-renewed.
  7. I think people overrate how much they "love" Richards. He's pretty much the mop up or innings eating guy. We see him a lot because his role is to take innings when the game isn't really hanging in the balance. There were a few times he was forced into a high leverage spot, but for the most part was just a mop up guy.
  8. With the 40 man as it is it seems like they are just going to roll with him and hope he's just the mop up. I'd imagine Fedde and Kay will be used out of the pen if they don't start. Martin I don't know, he's probably closer to Richards' role than getting any starts. I think your starters are Burke and Fedde as crazy as that sounds. 3rd game would maybe be Kay or you try a bullpen day, which I wouldn't be opposed to in principle.
  9. There are guys out there. I suggested Aaron Goldsmith from the Marines broadcasts. He came up through the minors and radio and is now solid on TV PBP. He can keep it light but also knows ball having put in so much time.
  10. They love Richards but he and his 91MPH fastball have been getting hit hard lately.
  11. Dodgers pbp guy Stephen Nelson is a huge Sox fan and has been on the Sox in the basement podcast a few times. Go get him. He gets pretty excited on home run calls and has more baseball knowledge than Schriff.
  12. This is true. Unless they somehow get Len Kasper to switch to TV PBP, I don't think it's possible to find someone who will make everyone happy.
  13. I'll sadly note that Doyle's xwOBA is actually lower with the Sox than with the Rox this season. Expected stats pick up the improvement in the past little while, but the expected stats seem to think he didn't improve that much and just got some lucky outcomes. He's had a couple infield singles and seeing eye ground ball singles that are probably propping him up a bit — plus I bet a couple of those homers could have just as easily been doubles. He needs to keep working. His K rate spiked this year and I'm not totally sure why. His chase rate went up a bit but not by a ton. Makes contact in the zone reasonably well. Might just be getting really free-swinging with two strikes.
  14. I hate the new format. I like the 2nd WC but I think it should be a 5 game series. I get what @77 Hitmen is saying but I also think there are ways to make it work. Nobody wants in season doubleheaders tho.
  15. I like Beckham. I think he'd be a good color guy with a quality PBP guy (I liked DJ with Farmer, but when Kasper got there, he really blossomed). Stone is okay and is knowledgeable, but I think it's about time. One place to look is at some of the sideline and/or studio reporters. Steve Gelz with the Mets might be really good. I remember when the Rays plucked Dave Wills out of the White Sox radio studio (and he was a really good PBP guy). That guy on MLB network in the late mornings is from Chicago and does some PBP (although I find him annoying on the MLB network). I think Dani Wexelman would be good (I realize that won't happen).
  16. It's because they're already starting the season in March (March 25 this year) and the World Series is already pushing into November (actually Game 7 would be on Halloween this year). There really isn't room for a best of 5 wild card round with travel days without making the season's length even more ridiculous with possibly frigid temperature at the beginning and end unless they cut the regular season back to 154 games.
  17. 100% Not sure how many young fans Benetti actually brought into the sport or became Sox fans. If you grew up in the 1980's or early 90s, most of his cultural references hit home. If you enjoy movies tv shows literary references, history etc., he was also your guy. But he left a lot of young fans and those in their 20s and 30s shaking their heads in frustration...when he just got to be too much of a performer and amateur comedian for his own good. Football provides him sufficient dead time for stories, but the faster pace of basketball brings out his best play by play instincts, depending upon a pairing with the right analyst (not named Bill Walton.)
  18. That's the answer, but they'll never do that. As it is, prefer this system over the 1-game wildcard.
  19. To be honest, after reading most on here it doesn't matter who the PBP guy is because this board and most fans are going to find fault in that person anyway.
  20. I said it in another thread but the Sox should hire from " within" their system and give the job to Matt Swierad who has been the Charlotte Knights pbp guy for almost 30 years.
  21. Today

  22. You know damn well we’re pitching to Alvarez every time.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.