Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

What about Nick Johnson? I believe he's a free agent. He hasn't had an OBP below .400 in forever. His career OBP is .401. He doesn't have a lot of power any longer, however, and apparently not as much range at 1B, and he's had injury issues. But he could be a cheap option as a lefty DH. His RC/27 rate is 6.42 runs, which is better than Konerko or anyone else on our club, including Jim Thome.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
If we want to trade for someone, why not Prince Fielder? The guy would give us that monstrous LH bat in the middle of the lineup. He's only 25. You could build a much better offensive team around him.

Fielder = Borass client shooting for an unreal payday at the conclusion of his contract. That'll never happen.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
What about Nick Johnson? I believe he's a free agent. He hasn't had an OBP below .400 in forever. His career OBP is .401. He doesn't have a lot of power any longer, however, and apparently not as much range at 1B, and he's had injury issues. But he could be a cheap option as a lefty DH. His RC/27 rate is 6.42 runs, which is better than Konerko or anyone else on our club, including Jim Thome.

He's probably going to get a good chunk of money if for no other reason than his age, but probably on a one-year deal. If Nick Johnson is going to get $5-6M for one year and Bobby Abreu is going to get $8-9 then that's a real easy decision to make IMO, although the years in the deal would be a factor. I think Johnson should be pretty far down our list even though he'd be a great addition to the lineup as a DH if healthy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
Granderson (ain't gonna happen)

Ichiro (why not?)

realistically

bullpen help (I can't think of anybody specifically)

Holladay!!!

So now Matt Holliday and Roy Halladay come together to form Matroy Holladay?

He'd be today's Babe Ruth then.

Edited by chw42

Getting guys like Reyes and Hanley are pipe dreams. Reyes, for one, may be one of the more overrated players in baseball. Not that he isn't good - just the amount of love that guys gets every year preseason from espn or fantasy world stuff is ridiculous. The 20/80 expectations and the 150 runs he is going to score from DL. Tools galore, just he has become a guy who may never be able to reach his potential because people make it so outrageous.

I know a lot of the names like Hanley, Reyes, Josh Johnson, Adrian Gonzalez and others are available but we no longer have the pieces to make those deals. Unless baseball is suddenly in love Hudson and Flowers as blue chip prospects instead of just very good ones. I'd love to get a big name but I don't see it happening unless Kenny can fleece a team into paying a premium for Konerko, Jenks, or whoever else would be dealt.

I'd love to see us just nab some bullpen. Some guys who I saw this year who looked good and can probably be had for cheap...

Kiko Calero - he rebounded this year. Tough to know where he goes from here but he looked like the same guy that showed up in Oakland in that Mulder deal.

David Robertson - The Admiral? Close though. He looked good for NYY and it's not uncommon business practice to show a little kind gesture for ripping a team in a trade as they did with Swish. A little good faith goes a long way and the Yankees should offer us a nice gesture, especially if Swish plays well into the Series.

Mark Lowe - Seattle's got a lot of arms out there and hopefully they keep our buddy David at closer and let this guy go to us.

Jason Bulger in Anahiem. Good stuff. Another guy who I saw live and liked.

None of those guys are overpowering players or ego's. They go do their jobs and getting a couple of them in our pen could help.

I'd love to get Huston Street at the back end of things but who knows if the Rockies still want to move him. Much bigger name and price tag but damn he is good. And somehow he gets away with not pitching off the rubber. Remarkable.

Outside of that, we can get into the list of usual suspects offensively but we all know Dunn, Abreu, Crawford, Upton, etc. are people we'd like to see here and won't. I personally love to get a Howie Kendrick on this club. I can see us ending up with like Hideki Matsui at DH next year. Not horrible but he just seems like he'd be all that is available in terms of a cheap, power hitting, left-handed bat.

I think KW may remake a chunk of that offense. We shall see.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Getting guys like Reyes and Hanley are pipe dreams. Reyes, for one, may be one of the more overrated players in baseball. Not that he isn't good - just the amount of love that guys gets every year preseason from espn or fantasy world stuff is ridiculous. The 20/80 expectations and the 150 runs he is going to score from DL. Tools galore, just he has become a guy who may never be able to reach his potential because people make it so outrageous.

I know a lot of the names like Hanley, Reyes, Josh Johnson, Adrian Gonzalez and others are available but we no longer have the pieces to make those deals. Unless baseball is suddenly in love Hudson and Flowers as blue chip prospects instead of just very good ones. I'd love to get a big name but I don't see it happening unless Kenny can fleece a team into paying a premium for Konerko, Jenks, or whoever else would be dealt.

I'd love to see us just nab some bullpen. Some guys who I saw this year who looked good and can probably be had for cheap...

Kiko Calero - he rebounded this year. Tough to know where he goes from here but he looked like the same guy that showed up in Oakland in that Mulder deal.

David Robertson - The Admiral? Close though. He looked good for NYY and it's not uncommon business practice to show a little kind gesture for ripping a team in a trade as they did with Swish. A little good faith goes a long way and the Yankees should offer us a nice gesture, especially if Swish plays well into the Series.

Mark Lowe - Seattle's got a lot of arms out there and hopefully they keep our buddy David at closer and let this guy go to us.

Jason Bulger in Anahiem. Good stuff. Another guy who I saw live and liked.

None of those guys are overpowering players or ego's. They go do their jobs and getting a couple of them in our pen could help.

I'd love to get Huston Street at the back end of things but who knows if the Rockies still want to move him. Much bigger name and price tag but damn he is good. And somehow he gets away with not pitching off the rubber. Remarkable.

Outside of that, we can get into the list of usual suspects offensively but we all know Dunn, Abreu, Crawford, Upton, etc. are people we'd like to see here and won't. I personally love to get a Howie Kendrick on this club. I can see us ending up with like Hideki Matsui at DH next year. Not horrible but he just seems like he'd be all that is available in terms of a cheap, power hitting, left-handed bat.

I think KW may remake a chunk of that offense. We shall see.

We can take a chance with Billy Wagner. I also like Rafael Soriano a lot, but he might cost a bit too much.

Adrian Gonzalez would look sexy in a White Sox uni...

Living in San Diego,I get to watch a lot of Padres baseball and he's a beast with both the bat and glove and according to SD sports talk,could very well be available for the right package...make it happen KW!

You guys realise that Jermaine Dye is a bad defensive right fielder, right?

You guys realise that there are only a handful of worse right fielders, right?

You guys realise that Bobby Abreu is in that handful, right?

Ok, good.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
You guys realise that Jermaine Dye is a bad defensive right fielder, right?

You guys realise that there are only a handful of worse right fielders, right?

You guys realise that Bobby Abreu is in that handful, right?

Ok, good.

you realize a lot of him being mentioned has been for DH, right?

Ok, good.

Please kenny, just stack the defense. Do whatever it takes to get JJ hardy. His value is low and the team doesn't need him anymore. He had an off year, but if he can reproduce his 2007 and 2008 numbers, he is one of the best in the league. Sign randy winn to a cheap contract. He won't take much, and he is really good in RF. I would want Nix at 2b full time. I think if we don't constantly switch him around in the infield and outfield, he would cut down on the errors and be more consistent. Hardy and Nix have extremely good range. That infield defense would be a vacuum.

The question mark with that lineup would be our offense though. We would have a bunch of guys who either have a lot of potential or are coming off of bad years. I'm pretty sure Hardy and Rios would bounce back, but Winn is aging and i don't know if that the wrist injury changed Carlos. The offense would have a chance to be good, but it could be a bust. We would also have a problem at leadoff. Alexei has a lot of value right now. Hopefully we could trade him for a decent leadoff hitter. I don't see Getz ever becoming that good. He can be our utility infielder i guess.

Our defense would definitely be one of the best in the league. With the starting staff that we would have, we would be a force.

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Please kenny, just stack the defense. Do whatever it takes to get JJ hardy. His value is low and the team doesn't need him anymore. He had an off year, but if he can reproduce his 2007 and 2008 numbers, he is one of the best in the league. Sign randy winn to a cheap contract. He won't take much, and he is really good in RF. I would want Nix at 2b full time. I think if we don't constantly switch him around in the infield and outfield, he would cut down on the errors and be more consistent. Hardy and Nix have extremely good range. That infield defense would be a vacuum.

The question mark with that lineup would be our offense though. We would have a bunch of guys who either have a lot of potential or are coming off of bad years. I'm pretty sure Hardy and Rios would bounce back, but Winn is aging and i don't know if that the wrist injury changed Carlos. The offense would have a chance to be good, but it could be a bust. We would also have a problem at leadoff. Alexei has a lot of value right now. Hopefully we could trade him for a decent leadoff hitter. I don't see Getz ever becoming that good. He can be our utility infielder i guess.

Our defense would definitely be one of the best in the league. With the starting staff that we would have, we would be a force.

This team needs to focus on offense this off season. The Sox are rated 10th or below in every team catagory stat (except HR and SB) in the 13 team AL. The pitching is in the top half of most stats, including 2nd in team ERA. The Sox have rarely scored more than 3 runs a game in the second half. Defense is always important but if you do not score, you can not win.

This team needs to focus on offense this off season. The Sox are rated 10th or below in every team catagory stat (except HR and SB) in the 13 team AL. The pitching is in the top half of most stats, including 2nd in team ERA. The Sox have rarely scored more than 3 runs a game in the second half. Defense is always important but if you do not score, you can not win.

We don't have the money or trade pieces to add top notch offensive players. We might as well stack our defense with high risk high reward type players since it will cost a lot less.

Starting Hardy would definitely be a risk. If he produces like he did this year, you would have a big hole offensively. If he produces closer to his career normals, you get a damn good shortstop on offense and defense. Same could be said for Winn. Nix has the ability to be a powerful 2nd baseman too. Either way, they will help our defense tremendously and have the ability to help us offensively.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)
We don't have the money or trade pieces to add top notch offensive players. We might as well stack our defense with high risk high reward type players since it will cost a lot less.

Starting Hardy would definitely be a risk. If he produces like he did this year, you would have a big hole offensively. If he produces closer to his career normals, you get a damn good shortstop on offense and defense. Same could be said for Winn. Nix has the ability to be a powerful 2nd baseman too. Either way, they will help our defense tremendously and have the ability to help us offensively.

and Alexei plays.....

I'm fine with AR at SS, he improved alot over is rookie season at SS (which is what is was), but if you can find a bat at 3b (better than GetzNix) I'd be fine with Beck at 2b

*JJ Hardy [prob. for Bobby Jenks] and a bullpen arm/ SP from AAA, AA; with acquiring him to play SS, it would allow the sox to trade Alexei Ramirez for:

*1] Josh Reddick from the Red Sox; he's another Georgia boy a few months younger than Gordon; Yet he's a LHB who hits w/ power, and is a great defender in the OF-could play all 3 spots, though projects best in RF; hit .277/.352/.520 in AA; didn't hit well in AAA, though;

*and 2] a bullpen arm.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)

Depends on the budget for next year. You have basically 70M tied up in MB, JP, GF, Garcia (4/5 of the rotation for 2010), PK, AR, AJP, Thorton, Linebrink, and Rios. With arb for Jenks, CQ, Danks, and Carrasco.

If you think the team is going to get a new SS with AR under contract for 1.1 for the next 2 years, this is highly unlikely. AR problems are more mental than physical and he will improve defensively. Hopefully he will put 2 halves together at the plate.

They have money to make a splash and would have more if PK or Jenks are moved.

The Sox are in great shape heading into next year, with help needed at the corner outfield, DH and pen. The infield and rotation are set. It should be fun to see.

QUOTE (cornball @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
Depends on the budget for next year. You have basically 70M tied up in MB, JP, GF, Garcia (4/5 of the rotation for 2010), PK, AR, AJP, Thorton, Linebrink, and Rios. With arb for Jenks, CQ, Danks, and Carrasco.

If you think the team is going to get a new SS with AR under contract for 1.1 for the next 2 years, this is highly unlikely. AR problems are more mental than physical and he will improve defensively. Hopefully he will put 2 halves together at the plate.

They have money to make a splash and would have more if PK or Jenks are moved.

The Sox are in great shape heading into next year, with help needed at the corner outfield, DH and pen. The infield and rotation are set. It should be fun to see.

Our rotation is set. Our infield could be set- but i could see KW moving Alexei to improve defensively at SS. Our offense is ok, but KW needs to find a left handed power hitter to fill up the middle of the order. If Carlos is healthy enough to move over to RF like most of us anticipate- that leaves an opening in LF. KW seems to get his players via trade- so don't expect a lot of free agent signings this winter. KW could be wheeling and dealing more than we anticipate this winter. Should be a fun winter to see how KW tries to complete this championship puzzle.