Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
White Sox Recall Jamie Burke
White Sox Recall Jamie Burke By Jason Gage June 5, 2004 FutureSox.com The Chicago White Sox recalled catcher/infielder Jamie Burke from Charlotte. Burke replaces Magglio Ordonez on the White Sox roster. Ordonez is expected to miss 4-7 weeks after undergoing knee surgery. The surgery appears to have went well and the doctors felt the injury was less severe then originally suspected. Ordonez was able to walk after the operation and will likely begin his rehab assignment on Monday. Jamie Burke probably won't stay on the White Sox roster for long as Joe Borchard is coming back from a leg injury. Borchard was recently mentioned in some trade talks with the Seattle Mariners for Freddy Garcia, but Ken Williams came out and said Borchad wasn't going anywhere while prize prospect Jeremy Reed is "untouchable". Borchard homered in his second game back and has hit safely in the three games he has played in since his brief absence from the lineup. Borchard had 10 homers on the season and is hitting .286 with 38 RBI. Burke was hitting .213 with 1 HR and 11 RBI. He played in 3 games with the White Sox earlier in the year going 0-1 with a walk.
-
Four Draft and Follow Picks Sign
Four Draft and Follow Picks Sign By Jason Gage June 5, 2004 FutureSox.com The Chicago White Sox have come to terms with four draft and follow selections from the 2003 amateur draft. A draft and follow selection is when you draft a junior college player and then let them play their next season with that junior college team. Once the season is up then you must come to terms with the player otherwise they can re-enter the draft. Rolando Acosta (SS), Eric Everly (LHP), Dustin Shaffer (SS), and Brandon Johnson (2nd) were the four picks the Sox came to terms with. They were drafted in consecutive rounds with Acosta being taken in the 41st round and Johnson in the 44th round. Below is a little info on each player that was written in FutureSox’s 2003 Draft Review: Roland Acosta – SS – Pima Community College Acosta was born o¬n April 13, 1983 and is a 5'11" 170 pound right-hander. Much like first round pick Brian Anderson, the White Sox have had plenty of opportunities to see him play as the Sox training facilities are in nearby Tucson. He is a classic late round pick, athletic, raw, and a draft-and-follow candidate. Pima Community College is the alma mater (as much as a JC can be) of several major leaguers, including Erubiel Durazo. Eric Everly – LHP – Olney Central Junior College (Pictured Above) The White Sox must really want Eric Everly, as this was the 2nd time he was drafted by the Sox. In his first year at Olney Central Junior College, Everly showed a good K:IP ratio, and continued that success with the Waterloo Bucks, who play in the Northwoods League. Could be a candidate for draft-and-follow. Dustin Shaffer – SS - St. Catharine Shaffer was sent to St. Catharine junior college to play a season. He is a speedy shortstop prospect who stole 38 bases in 39 attempts this season. However, he doesn't appear to have the ability to play shortstop and will likely move to the outfield, with center being the most likely destination. Brandon Johnson – L/R – 2nd – Crowder College (Freshman) Brandon Johnson is a freshman at Crowder College, who played his high school baseball at Glynn Academy in Brunswick Georgia. As a freshman it is likely that he is a draft and follow candidate. Johnson, like many latter round picks, doesn't have good odds to be a major leaguer, and will likely be a tough sign, simply because the odds are stacked against him and the money isn't there. Plus he has the leverage of being able to play another three years of baseball at the collegiate level, trying to improve his draft status.
-
Kannapolis Makes a Few Roster Moves
Kannapolis Makes a Few Roster Moves By Jason Gage June 5, 2004 FutureSox.com The Kannapolis Intimidators were busy on Saturday. First they received right handed pitcher Adam Larson from the Winston Salem Warthogs. Larson went 1-1 with an 8.82 ERA in 16/1/3 innings of work. He also pitched with the Intimidators earlier in the season and went 1-0 with a 3.52 ERA in 7/2/3 innings. Larson was a 15th round selection in the 2002 draft. The Intimidators also received RHP Fernando Hernandez from extended spring training. Hernandez spent 2003 with the Great Falls White Sox where he went 1-3 with a 2.74 ERA in 24 games. The Intimidators released Tim Tisch and placed catcher Cesar Castillo on the disabled list to make room for the two new players. Tisch entered the season in the Intimidators rotation and has been a big dissapointment. He went 1-4 with a 5.27 ERA in 12 games (6 starts). He was a 34 round selection by the White Sox in the 2001 draft. Last season he pitched with both Bristol (3-5, 3.13 ERA) and Kannapolis (1-1, 1.93 ERA).
-
Chicago White Sox 2007 Line Up.
Olivo - C Sweeney - LF Anderson - CF Ordonez - RF Reed - 1st Harris - 2nd Valido - SS Schnur - 3rd Caballo - DH Rotation: Buehrle Garland Munoz Cotts McCarthy Bullpen: Marte Tagatsu (he can pitch till he's 50) Baj Majewski Fabio Castro Jason Stumm (sleeper pick)
-
The Day After Tomorrow
I saw it last night and thought it was entertaining. I know the critics really ripped the movie, but I enjoyed it. Some cool effects and in general a cool story. Obviously their was some parts you had to look the other way, but entertaining none the less.
-
Reagan 1911-2004: nonpartisan thread
RIP Ronald
-
June 5th Game Thread vs. Seattle
Weird then...I was at my friends and he had the Sox game on, but at my house I get Regan updates. I was hoping it was just because of the commercial. Then again, Regan is from the area I'm in so maybe thats why they keep talking about it. Sad stuff, but if I wanted to watch 10 hrs of tv on him dying, I'd turn it to Fox News.
-
June 5th Game Thread vs. Seattle
Is anyone else still getting the Fox News stuff on Regan????
-
Here come the fans I hope
Man, I nominate this for one of the top threads. Shuf your still cracking me up sober this morning and so are you nuke.
-
Steve Finley
I'd say you see a package of Rowand, Rauch and another prospect, possibly a good one.
-
Joe Borchard
I agree. I think once Borchard gets a few games under his belt he will be up. If you ask me the package will center around Rauch, Rowand, and another prospect, possibly a good lower level one or another AAAer, maybe even a Felix Diaz type.
-
Steve Finley
I saw in the article mentioning the Yanks going for Garcia, a direct quote (or at least looked to be) from KW saying Reed was untouchable.
-
Yankees jumping in on Garcia
If they are offering Contreras, then all I'm going to say is the Mariners would be foolish to turn down the Sox offer. The Mariners would be taking on at least part of a long term deal and wouldn't be getting anything for their future. A package of rauch and Borchard would be superior to that, although I'd hope the Sox could somehow do it without giving up Joey B. Good to see Reed is untouchable.
-
Steve Finley
I can't see Reed going for Freddy Garcia.
-
June 2004 Quotes of the Month
Sox drinking game...I'm in. I'm assuming you've played beer pong, quarters, and moose before?
-
6/4 games
I'm glad KW called Joey B untouchable because those type of comments will increase his trade value and at least give him a little more leverage.
-
Jered Weaver
Hell yes I would. The guy could potentially make an impact this season and is a pretty damn good pitcher. Heck, his demands may slide and either way he'd be worth the money (Not 10 mill, but get him down a few mill). I think their is a decent chance that he slides to the Dodgers, its likely they take him, but if they don't, its gonna be hard to pass that type of player up.
-
June 2004 Quotes of the Month
SHUF: floating??? you sure your not popping the Probert drugs. This is for ya Shuf. It was a great response to a statement I made on typing while bombed. Usually when I try to type bombed, my fingers feel like they are floating, lol.
-
Favorite Movie
Top 10 Comedies: Caddy Shack Office Space Major League Super Troopers Fast Times at Ridgemont High Animal House Weekend at Bernies Road Trip American Pie Beavis and Butthead Beverly Hills Cop (so its 11, lol) Top 10 Action: Die Hard (going to go with the series here) True Lies Terminator (both 1 and 2 were good) Kill Bill (both volumes) Desperado (how can't you like some of those action scenes) Man on Fire (badass action scenes in that movie) Gladiator Unforgiven (may not fit this genre) Indian Jones (soley cause I saw you put it in this genure, I'd say it goes more along the lines of adventure, but damn its hard enough putting this in a list as it is) Lethal Weapon (didn't know whether comedy or action..probably more comedy, but oh well) Will do action, drama and scifi later...cripes this took longer then I suspected.
-
Harry Potter 3
- Here come the fans I hope
- Andre Iguodala
Him and Deng are both pretty good players. Both need to improve their shots but would be good picks. Personaly I'd still try to package the pick, but the Bulls may realize they are a few years off so getting some more talent may not be so bad. They need to get guys with good attitudes that want to play and play both offense and defense.- Ramon Ortiz
If the Sox could somehow get Steve Finley then they woudln't need Jose and could then use Finley in CF, Uribe at ss, and Willie at 2nd with Ortiz fitting in. I find it highly unlikely though, because I don't see the Sox moving any of their regular players.- Ramon Ortiz
Ortiz has been pitching pretty well out of the pen as of late. He's really looking like he's got his head on straight again. He's a solid pitcher and wouldn't be a bad pickup, assuming the Sox could get him without giving up a top prospect.- Closer dilemma
Didn't see todays game as well, but I don't make decisions based on one or two games. I have watched him and he's a better pitcher then everyone gives him credit for or at least most. He's not what he once was and he may not be good enough, but he's still a solid pitcher and is far from the worse closer in the majors. - Here come the fans I hope