Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:18 PM) I'll miss your honest posts, but if people here are going to constantly beg you to leave, then leave. Another board will benefit from your knowledge. J4L has a lot of knowledge. Unfortunately the past 6+ months worth of posts have exhibited very little knowledge. And instead are more about him making ignorant comments while plastered in various threads. Sorry, Soxtalk has turned into a place filled with sports radio callers and we are better than that.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:12 AM) I'm quite a few pages back, and perhaps it has since been answered, but this portion of NSS's post is golden. If Jason and company are going to establish new rules concerning posting there should be clear guidelines detailing what's acceptable and what isn't. More than "hyperbole" or outlandish negativity. Additionally, who exactly is enforcing these rules, just Jason; or all mods? Will each post that is questionable be put up for review? Also, I'm trying to wrap my mind around this concept -- so there's a collection of 'quality' posters out in the nether regions of the internet lurking, and oh boy do they have some valuable insight to provide for fellow Soxtalk members. Yet, when these member log on all they notice is the negativity; and that just makes them sad. They don't appreciate such injustices. So in a silent protest (well, not really, because they made sure to tell the mods/admins of their intentions so everyone will miss them) they leave and now the world will never know what knowledge could have been shared with Soxtalk. Am I the only person who finds it ridiculous someone is allowing another person indirectly to influence whether or not they post here? It isn't just good posters who don't post here. It is good posters who don't post as much. It is the owner of the site who doesn't like what he sees. It is admins and mods not liking what they see. It is so much bigger than that and for those that want to get there panties tied up in a wad over this whole thing, well, than you probably are the problem. Again flash...I'm being general when talking here cause I think you are an asset to the site and while I know you always get worried in areas like this, this mod/admin team and this board has always done a great job catering to the masses and the people. And we have all different sorts of flavors as mods (which is very evident in our boardroom discussions).
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:17 AM) Most of the baseball world has done the extensive book report. Nearly any smart site, from Yahoo! to Rotoworld to fangraphs, etc, has written how idiotic it is that Juan Pierre not only continues to start, but also continues to lead off for this roster. The only person who doesn't get it is our manager. Hence J4L and anyone else's frustration with Pierre and this team. If you aren't frustrated, you aren't paying attention! But do we need 1000 threads on it and complete and continuous reiteration of that?
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:10 AM) Do you really need an extensive, detailed, book report on why JP sucks? I've done my Kalapse impression and thrown numbers out there. And other times I have fun with it. I don't see the big issue here. You guys keep saying I'm missing the point? The board owner was the one that created this thread. How else is somebody like myself supposed to view this? Maybe muzzle or gag were too strong a terms. How about greatly alter? And this what Milk is talking about. I can tell by the tone of your post that you're like really getting mad. "Do what we say or go to the ESPN board." I never said the inmates should run the asylum. View it as the site isn't going to sit around and let you breach and yell and make hyperbolic comments that take down the overall quality of the board. This isn't what this place is for. If you want to handle things in a respectable manner and debate facts and do it without being completely obnoxious than fine. And if you think you have to worry about every post you make, well, quite frankly, your posting style won't work here.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 07:29 AM) I thought so too. Look the idea is that it has gotten bad here. When looking at the numbers, Soxtalk's post totals have fallen way off. Looking down the list of people in the top 10/50/100 posters who don't show up anymore is stark. The one thing that is repeated over, and over, and over again by people is that they are sick of the tone here. Its not the arguments, but the way that arguments are made. You couldn't disagree with anything without being shouted down. That has led to a pretty significant migration, to where the biggest group of people left on the board are fairly negative, and seem respond mostly to the negative situations. The reality is that most people want to celebrate and look forward to the positive things about baseball. That is why most people watch it. Well now we are taking Soxtalk back for that silent majority. The whole idea is that the vast majority of people want to have somewhere to go to talk about their team and enjoy it. Why would you you want to go somewhere that made you feel worse than before you got here? It makes no sense to me. Hell it wouldn't have been so bad if it were even kept into a thread or two, but instead of just being game threads, like it started out years ago, it spilled into the other threads. The crap just spread like a virus throughout the whole board. Even the topics that have nothing to do with the Sox are filled with ridiculous statements of no substance or intelligence. Pick up the game here Soxtalk. You can be upset with the team, and still make intelligent posts. I have seen the names of people who do it a lot. I know the want now is for "specific examples" so that it can be pushed right up to the ledge, and then answered with "well I didn't do exactly that". This is going to be vague, because you can't project exactly what hyperbole isn't an exact science. If that is too vague, well sorry. Any changes in people's posting status's will come from a long discussion amongst mods and admins here. Believe me when I say it will be a process. It isn't going to be Jason, or anyone else, just banning people. Pretty much all of the staff hates doing, but we hate being put in a position to take action on someone even more. And to go onto this. It might be stupid and real simple, but really the whole premise behind this is pretty simple and Mike summed it up greatly above. And if you have to ask for 15 examples so you know exactly how to toe the line, well, quite frankly, clearly your goal is shock value (and I'm not implying that is the case with everyone, but certainly the perception would be that is the case).
-
Enough with the hyperbole
By the way, I want to reiterate that it has nothing to do with being negative. I could point out a lot of posters, who tend to be more negative, that I feel are some of the best posters on this site. And for most of your tenure, J4L, I would have said you were one of our better posters.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
Based upon your responses, it is pretty evident your goal is to just be a loud obnoxious ass. And if thats the case, just be so somewhere else.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:54 PM) How does one be negative without sounding, well, negative? I do have a negative view towards the Sox. 4 missed playoffs in 5 years and another season in which we're still below .500 justifies that. Now the thing I liked about this board was that you could post freely as long as you didn't cross that 'line'. If that's changing, just let it be known. That's all. You can be negative. Its all in how you phrase it. A post that says, White sox are amazing, best team ever. They are like cookies and bubble game is just as s***ty as....this team is f***ing horrible...what clowns, I could do a better job. Bottom line is, any of the above is pure crap. You want to be negative, be negative, but don't be annoying (and again, this works to both sides). Don't bash and bash an argument to death and talk in absolutes and more importantly, be negative with poise. Talk about why and what and how you'd fix things. IF all you have to add is that Pierre is the worse POS in the world and you want to post that 100 times a day or a week, well quite frankly, thats bulls***. It is as bad as me posting 1000 times that Pierre is amazing, I'm gonna run him out till he's 90.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:55 PM) So you are buying that he just coincidentally thinks every move the Bulls and Sox make is "F-," or the worst thing that has ever befallen humanity? I'm not buying it. It comes off as this place being your soapbox and place to make a stand and develop an internet "power" feeling and quite frankly, this isn't the place for that. Its the place for fans to chat about the Sox. Hell, this site was started because I dont' know any Sox fans and as a result, I now know and get to discuss my beloved Sox (plus other topics) with some sharp and great peeps.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:49 PM) Everyone respects your opinion. How you present that opinion is the main problem. Exactly. I don't care about the opinions of a poster. I'll call people dumb and they'll call me dumb. And I've said some dumb things. But its the way stuff is phrased. And as the long-time owner of this site, I'll say this, I can barely read PHT at this point because of how petty some of the s*** that goes on is and how absolute the posts are. I have to filter through so much crap that isn't worth responding to and that isn't acceptable. And Soxtalk and the membership base (yourself and myself included) is far better than that. We have a lot of intelligent and bright posters, who have made this a great site.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 08:40 PM) If I'm understanding right you are referring to douchey comments like, "See, there's really no reason for Ozzie to still be our manager, anybody can see that". Yes? Yep, that would be one example. There have been far too many posts that prevent any sort of discussion. And last I looked, this was a place to have discussions and debate. It is not just a soapbox for you to massage your own message board ego and stand tall and say how smart you are and make ridiculous comments. Note: Most people aren't even close to having problems and not once have I said people have to be negative or positive. You could be positive and speaking ridiculous and be in the same boat as someone that is negative and being ridiculous. I draw the line when the majority of the conversation out of any individual poster hinders/prevents debate and discussion.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
Feel free to move on. This place is for intelligent conversation and while I'm wrong more than I'm right and am not about to claim what is intelligent and what isn't, I will say that talking in hyperbole and constant absolutes does nothing for the site. And from talking to a ton of long time members on this site, it is a true detriment and hinders many great posters from posting. And if to bring back a lot of quality posters, it means certain people have to take time-outs or move there posts elsewhere, than so be it. Soxtalk is always there for people to put out there opinion (positive or negative) but when peoples opinions and styles prevent and hinder free communication, than that is where the line in the sand is drawn.
-
Enough with the hyperbole
If forum members want to post constant hyperbole and talk in absolutes, you will face potential suspensions (up to indefinite suspensions). Note: No warnings will be issued, so consider this your warning.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:53 PM) And in a team sport like basketball, this means nothing. Basketball is a star sport and a star driven league.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:52 PM) I think you quoted the wrong post, which makes the comment much more hilarious I actually knew it was Zoom's post, but had already commented on J4L's post once (with an identical argument as Zoom). But decided to add more to that comment on Bosh being better.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:50 PM) 62 wins, a conference finals trip and an MVP> 40 wins and watching the playoffs from home. I think that might be the dumbest post in the history of Soxtalk. Just think about that...there have been a lot of dumb posts on Soxtalk and that might be the topper, hahah.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:46 PM) Yes, Bosh as the lead dog is better than Rose. Rose is not as good playing wise LeBron and Wade. Seriously? Bosh as the lead dog is better? I must have missed when Toronto won 62 games and lost in the ECF's?
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:42 PM) Did I miss something? Asik is not that good. A decent backup? Yes. The Heat have three players better than Rose. We need to aim higher. And you are higher than a kite if you think the Bulls are getting an all star at 28 and 30 (or even 23). We are lucky if we get one rotation player out of those picks.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:42 PM) Did I miss something? Asik is not that good. A decent backup? Yes. The Heat have three players better than Rose. We need to aim higher. Seemed like a lot of teams were interested in Asik at the trade deadline and if he wasn't that good than why was Memphis wanting him for Mayo who I know you like a ton? Asik is a productive player. Great, no, but he makes the Bulls better.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:33 PM) I didn't say that. But they clearly didn't take the best player available. A player that might be good in three years. Yawnnnnnnnn. This isn't baseball.. Did you say the same thing when we drafted Asik?
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:30 PM) Whatever. We could draft Jojo English and some fans would try to make a positive out of it. Ain't no way in hell Butler was a better prospect than Hamilton and Johnson. I don't have to get paid to know this. I look forward to losing to the Heat in 6 games next year (assuming there is a next year). Dude, the Bulls could draft the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan and you'd find a problem with it. One thing the Bulls have done and done well is draft under John Paxson/Gar Forman. Not everyhing needs to be in absolutes and not every post you make has to hate. Hell, is it ironic that the one thing you liked (Adam Dunn) turned out to be the worse move of the offseason? And the move you hated the most and gave no chance, turned into one of the best moves in the off-season (Humber).
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
My guess is the Bulls will pick Selby.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
Nice. I had read about this baby Dirk. I dont' buy into the hype but he sounded like an intriguing prospect.
-
2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread
What can you gentlemen tell me about this guy the Bulls got? I like the idea of getting a potential future asset but no nothing about him. Too bad Hamilton just went off the board. Would have been pretty darn nice value at 30.
-
Dunn last 7 games : .158/.304/.368/.672
Dunn = AWFUL.