Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. Chisoxfn replied to whitesoxbrian's topic in SLaM
    Watches impact typing for me, the wedding ring doesn't. But thats me. Either way, the first month or two with the ring was so weird, given that I have never worn jewlery (except the ocassional watch). I take my ring off when I play sports though.
  2. Sounds like the big open item is the two sides getting comfortable on the rookie wage scale.
  3. QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:11 AM) I think both are true but a center has a lot of value. Are there instances of a very injury prone player early in their career overcoming those and providing a stable 6 prime years? Lets see if Luol Deng can do it.
  4. QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:29 PM) sorry but the ineptitude of Pierre, Dunn and Rios needs to be addressed that game should not have been close the f***ing bunting and weak infield popups makes it look like 6 pitchers, konerko, Ramirez and Quentin nice job by santos Rios has actually scorched the ball the past couple days. I think he's coming out of things. He did have a bad pop out in a situation with a runner in scoring position though.
  5. Wow, evidently Pat Casey, Oregon State's head coach, is in the mix. I highly doubt we'd land him and my guess is this is a lot about nothing, but that was the buzz going around Omaha yesterday. Mark Kotsay has also been getting recent buzz and was recommended by former coach George Horton and former stud Titan Tim Wallach. Kotsay has publicly stated he'd be interested.
  6. I still can't possibly believe it. I could see a Gasol for Love deal but not adding a first rounder to boot. My guess is that is how much it would take for the Lakers to make the deal, where the Wolves would prefer the pick plus fillers for Gasol. Just depends on how badly Minny wants to pair Gasol up with Rubio. I think they believe Gasol would make Rubio much more comfortable.
  7. Chisoxfn replied to whitesoxbrian's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:25 AM) Honestly I hate wearing jewelry. The only thing I wear is my wedding ring. Rings, necklaces, watches etc, always feel awkward and unnatural on my. Ditto.
  8. Some people around LA are talking about the Lakers and Minny trying to work out a trade involving Gasol. It has to be the most lopsided trade ever but I've heard some good NBA people on the radio commenting on it and they are indicating it has legs. Cowherd has been yapping about it this AM too. Gasol for Love and the #2 pick. That is ridiculous.
  9. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    Watched Falling Skies last night. I think its got potential. Reminders me a bit of a cross between Jericho and V or something along those lines. Interested in seeing where it goes.
  10. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 11:32 AM) I would guess twice. In 2006, he missed 15 games from June 3-22, I assume that's a DL stint. In 2008, he missed 13 games from June 10-26, and that's over 15 days as well. Every other season he played at least 154 games. Over the past like 7 or 8 years he's like 4th in games played or something ridiculous like that.
  11. The max Fullerton can offer its coach was 140K. Tenn has so much more resources and factoring in bonuses, it sounds like Serrano will be right around the $500K per season mark. Pretty substantial raise and good for him! Sad that my program, from a financial perspective, just can't compete with the big boys, even though it is one of the premiere baseball programs in the country.
  12. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    Anyone watch falling skies? Have it on the dvr and look forward to catching it.
  13. Chisoxfn replied to knightni's topic in SLaM
    Happy Bday Steve!!!
  14. QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:29 AM) Erik Johnson (2nd round pick out of California) is pitching right now on ESPN. I said when he was drafted that he reminded of Danny Wright based on numbers, height/weight and stuff. Now watching him pitch on TV, I am convinced he is Danny Wright 2.0. Has a very similar delivery. It's almost scary how much Johnson resembles Wright. I really like Johnson. Lots of potential there. Real nice 2nd round pick and he had nice velocity which he sustained in the game. You can tell he's got some command issues, but overall, I think he's the type of guy the Sox can help out and really get a lot out of.
  15. Chisoxfn posted a topic in Pale Hose Talk
    If people have a minute, please help! One of our local teachers is in a Pepsi contest to win $10,000 for her class to put a library in. Vote at this link and text 106604 to 73774. Elston is currently in 17th place, and the top 15 get funded, so your vote would help a ton! This is a great teacher, who really wants to do right by kids in a school with about an 80% poverty rate. http://www.refresheverything.com/booksforelston Thanks guys.
  16. Dang it. I wonder if we can grab Vanderhook back. I doubt it, problem with Fullerton is they don't have the resources to pay top program money. Maybe we can lure back Horton from Oregon, ahaahaha. I wish. At least when Horton left I was very confident in Serrano, now not so confident in the potential options. My list of guys I'd like: Horton - Rumor has it that Horton isn't happy in Oregon, but at 400K per year, I highly doubt he's coming to Fullerton to take a 200K or more pay cut, haha. Rich Hill - USD's coach who has kicked some butt and done a great job recruiting and coaching some top pitchers Batesole - Fresno State's coach; Not sure if Fullerton could pay more, but clearly, from a national spotlight and history standpoint, Fullerton is a better job. However, in college baseball, how much spotlight is there anyway? Esquer - Cal's coach might be attainable and he seems decent. Greg Bergeron - Young guy, former Fullerton, offensive coordinator for UCI and the Asst. Head Coach for Fullerton. Very raw but knows the Titan offense and history. Plus he might end up at Tenn too.
  17. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:00 PM) They were all #1 draft picks. However, 2 of them didn't have the talent to be. Broadway and McCullough should not have been first round picks. Poreda still is a lefty with a big fastball, which makes you a first round pick. Broadway was a consensus 1st rounder. If the Sox didn't pick him, someone else would have. Maybe not a high upside guy, but teams loved his spike curve that he threw and thought he had a good enough fastball and command plus the makings of a nice 3rd pitch. Guy was lights out in college. He figured a pretty safe bet to eventually make it as a 4th or 5th rounder (as far as picks go). Just never worked out. I wasn't on board with the pick but at the time the Sox picked him, he had talent. He wasn't some bum. McCulloh, now that was a guy on the major slide who just kept sliding. His velocity was down, stuff was down, etc. I think Sox were hoping he'd rebound, but a year earlier at Texas he was a much better pitcher. Sox reached when they took Kyle when they did, imo. That said, most of the other picks around him that most people were interested ending up busting as well, IIRC. And Daniel Bard went a pick before us, so don't say we could have had him. Joba might have been the one guy some people liked that we could have had (which would have been nice).
  18. QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:34 PM) Of course, I'm of the opinion that in the long run this year, we're a better team without Jake Peavy on the roster. This post has no logic, none. We are much better with Peavy and the attitude he brings to the clubhouse.
  19. And for all the b****ing, Juan Pierre did put up a .365 OBP (.285 avg) in the month of May. May also happened to be a solid month for the club. He also had a > .700 OPS. June hasn't been as kind to Juan yet., but he had a nice game yesterday and that alone (given the small sample size of at bats thus far in June), will make his current June stats respectable. Basically put, Juan has been playing pretty darn well the past month (offensively). The problem is he did give up a good number of this hits getting thrown out.
  20. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 06:03 PM) If we don't win it this year, that's 3 years in a row where we failed to live up to expectations. Conversely, if somehow we can get this thing, that's 2 central titles in 4 years. One of those is fireable, the other gets an extension. Completely agree. I also think Ozzie has done a great job handling guys like Sale, Morel, Beckham, and Ramirez. And quite frankly those guys are part of the future of the organization. He's also done great with Danks making sure to publicly back him and telling him to forget about what happens, etc. Love the way he's handled Rios and Dunn too. The reality is we are paying both of them money to produce and while they havent', Ozzie is smart enough to know our best chances to truly be a dangerous team is to get them firing and the way he has publicly handled there struggles and from what it appears (also internally), I've been impressed. Whether his strategy ends up working with the guys, who knows, but regardless I like that approach. I can think of a few times that I got pissed at a decision he made as a manager, but I read the game threads, a lot of people will b**** if he does and b**** if he doesn't and that just isn't fair to any manager. Oh, did I mention, Ozzie also seemed to do a nice job after Thornton struggled. And I think the way he handled that situation might be partially why Thornton has been able to turn things around (he is also way too good to be that bad for an extended period of time, without some sort of injury).
  21. QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:37 PM) And when they lose the division for the sixth time in his tenure, do we also get to remember this? Or is that considered gloating? Fair is fair.
  22. I'll just remember all of these comments when the Sox win a division title for the 3rd time in Ozzie's career this year. I also happen to think a managers most important job is to manage his players as a whole and has less to do with the in-game decisions though.
  23. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:02 AM) I just choked on my New England clam chowder. You can't be serious. He's done a phenomenal job of not over-reacting like a bunch of nut jobs here and staying calm and as a result the players responded. Ozzie has a tremendous ability to try and put his players in the best chance to succeed. That might not be in-game managing but it is an art that he has managed exceptionally, well, imo. And I know someone will now make a bunch of posts about how Kotsay being DH was a position he couldn't excel at, but by and large, Ozzie has done that and you'll hear a lot of his current and former players allude to that. Ozzie understands how up and down the game of baseball is and he isn't going to overreact to things too often. I have problems with some of his ridiculous comments and some of the things he does, but by and large, he's a good manager. The question to me is at some point, players tune guys out or maybe just need to hear another voice, and when that type comes, it comes. It will happen to pretty much every mgr and coach.
  24. QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 10:57 AM) Its hard to believe because barring injury (which is possible here I suppose), people's speed doesn't fall off a cliff. It goes down gradually. But as I pointed out, it doesn't need to fall of a cliff for his effectiveness to have a big drop. I agree that just a step could potentially impact his game significantly. But I also tend to think a step is actually a pretty good size change in speed. Which given his age wouldn't be a shock and if it is the case than if I were manager, once he had proven he couldn't handle that lost step, he'd get less playing time. The problem is, Ozzie is like many managers, in that he wants a protypical leadoff hitter, and outside of Pierre he doesn't have any other options, so there isn't a better alternative in his mind (and this would be true of a very significant amount of mgr's, including some of the best in the game, like a LaRussa).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.