Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 07:31 AM) I wouldn't sell. You have to understand, there are a number of short term things they can do to cover their debt obligations, if Congress goes into a temporary pattern of inaction. Further, the bonds wouldn't become worthless anyway - the US government may just miss a "payment" of interest for some period, a very short one if at all. If the US government starts actually defaulting on the principal obligation on any significant amount its debt, then frankly, none of this matters, because the entire financial market system begins to collapse and there is no longer a safe haven of any kind. That's the disaster scenario, and it won't occur. Then there are the idiots who are holding and hoarding gold for such an event. This is the silliest thing I can imagine, beyond just the fact that the likelihood of a full collapse is insanely low. Buying gold as an investment vehicle is one thing, it makes sense. Buying and delivering is just patently stupid. If things got so bad that the currency collapsed, the country falls into chaos... and what good does that brick of gold do you anyway? Its not a usable good, so it becomes as empty as paper money, unless you want to build some circuits or jewelry or something. Thats why I buy grain....I figure when the world ends, people will want my closet full of grains!
  2. Leesman is one of the best lefties in the system. Probably more projectable as a reliever than a starter, but the guy has a chance to have a long career.
  3. Congrats to Terry!!!
  4. I'll just say it. I'd rather have Danks than Grienke if I were New York. Danks seems like he has far thicker skin to handle pitching in New York, plus I think you benefit having strong lefties in New York since from the offensive standpoint lefties have such an advantage with that short porch (and Danks could shut em down).
  5. By the way. Do you guys realize Garland has put up an ERA plus > 100 in 5 of the last 6 years. Given his durability, thats a pretty damn valuable commodity. While 05 was his best ERA+ of his career, lets not act like the guy has been a turd most of his career.
  6. By the way. Do you guys realize Garland has put up an ERA plus > 100 in 5 of the last 6 years. Given his durability, thats a pretty damn valuable commodity.
  7. Horrible news. I always have liked Lackey (its the Angel fan in me). Wish him and his wife the best!
  8. QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:49 AM) From that team you still have many players playing prominent roles on the Sox and other teams. There were a few flash in the pans in the pen, but outside of that it was a solid team. Every member of that starting rotation is still pitching in the majors. Agreed, Sans Duque, but you can factor in BMac (who was Duque's backup) who when healthy has been nothing but a productive big leaguer (albeit, he's rarely healthy).
  9. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:48 AM) I love his curve, I just wish he could find a way to get it working before the 3rd inning or so. He was great last night after the first inning. I don't know if the runs relaxed him, or he just found his stuff, but it worked. The nice thing about Floyd is, even when he isn't on, he seems like he's really learned to battle and work his way until he eventually can find his release point and get outs and make some headway. Of course I'm saying this after he had a couple rough outings (which I'm going to chalk up to the ball hitting him). I still think this kid is going to have a couple seasons where he just has it all together for an entire season and puts down 20 wins. I love me some Gavy! And I'm such a Gavy homer!
  10. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 05:58 AM) Need to keep that up this weekend. Esp at home, where we've struggled so much. Dodgers aren't going to be easy, but they are struggling, and the Sox need to capitalize. They have some solid pitching and well quite frankly, we've been relying on perfect pitching for a long time. Sooner or later this offense is going to have to hit cause these pitchers are going to hit a rough patch. Especially since Texas is going to be pretty rejuvenated. Looks like Cruz and Hamilton will be back for our series against them.
  11. QUOTE (Real @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:50 PM) and 10 back in the loss column. that's how bad it was for this team to start the season like they did. they just took two straight from cleveland, and won 9 of the last 12, and we're still 10 back in the loss column. Cleveland is also on pace to win more games than pretty much anyteam over the last 10 years and we know that isn't going to happen.
  12. QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2011 -> 07:11 AM) I also liked Gavin hitting 93 late in the game out of the stretch. He made Adam Everett looked horrendous twice in the game. Was beautiful to watch. Gavy is so fun when he has it working. He has such a good arsenal of pitchers, between his FB, Curve, and Change (which is just nasty when its on).
  13. Sinkerballers historically are worse pitchers early in games and on extended rest. They do better when there arm is a bit fatigued as they don't overthrow and as a result get much better downward sink on there pitches. When they are rested, they'll start to elevate the ball.
  14. QUOTE (gatnom @ May 20, 2011 -> 06:22 AM) Pretty much the entire pitching staff minus Garcia and El Duque had flukish years, and then they got hot at the right time in order to win a world series. I'm not trying to take away from what they accomplished, though. I'm just trying to say that one shouldn't count out a team because they don't appear to be talented. That right there is 2/5ths of the rotation and I'm not buying it. Buehrle didn't have a flukish year. If you want to say Garland did, thats fine, but Garland outside of a first 6 to 8 bad starts was more dominant in 2006 (just look at the splits, once Garland started pitching, he took his ERA down). Contreras was nasty and that nastiness lasted as long as his back held up. Once his back went to crap, he went back to being mediocre. But post all star break, I couldn't think of a pitcher who had better stuff that year than Jose Contreras. Guy was unhittable.
  15. QUOTE (gatnom @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:38 AM) I have five words for you: two, thousand, five, White, and Sox. I'm not saying; I'm just saying. And I don't get this. Just cause some idiots at baseball prospectuses projected us to suck, didn't mean the rest of the league did. I know I thought on paper, entering that season, we had an awesome chance at making some noise and considered ourselves a favorite for the division. For pete sakes, the Sox have been favorites for the majority of the decade by most of the analysts in the know. Sadly, they haven't lived up to that status too often. But this BS about comparing this years Cleveland team to the 2005 White Sox has to stop. It is a baseless argument.
  16. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2011 -> 05:25 AM) Have Garland/Uribe not frequented the Cell since '05? What are they going to do? Announce their names and all 275 fans do the slow clap? Stupid. Edit: I obviously meant since they left the Sox. Garland spent a long time in Chicago and was a quality pitcher with the White Sox and helped us gain a World Series trophy. Uribe made two of the best plays in the 9th inning of the final game of the world series, including making the final out. They deserve to be recognized. I'd imagine Garland was in Chicago before (with the angels) but this might be Uribe's first time back.
  17. I built the forum at 17 and have broke it off and on over the years.
  18. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:14 AM) Then that's going to be a problem. He needs to be out there to stretch the floor. Miami is too good defensively. Plus he can easily match up with Mike Miller (or Bibby). Bulls just have to find a solid way of handling the pick and roll/switch scenarios. And on the flip side, Bulls really need to take advantage switching Miller onto Rose when he's on the court.
  19. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    10 pounds adds 10 pounds, haha.
  20. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    At her height, 145 is a pretty good amount of weight. Isn't she under 5ft? For pete sake, I'm 6ft and weigh between 160 and 165.
  21. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    Wow, that 2nd photo is horrible.
  22. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    Sweet. Given that a bunch of shows on my DVR got cancelled. This will have to be one of the few getting replaced. Over the past couple years, pretty much all of my regular DVR shows have been cancelled (or ended, e.g., Lost/24).
  23. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:19 PM) I just think we're so used to the Twins being the ones to deny us year after year that we can't fathom maybe another team getting the best of us. Nobody in this division is going to win 100 games. s***, the Yankees or Red Sox are not going to win 100 games. It might not even take 90 wins to take the central. We jumped out on everybody in '05 and nobody took us seriously until we were in the ALCS. It could be just one of those years for the Indians. But they've definitely put us is a big hole. The difference is, I thought the White Sox team was good. We had good relievers, a great rotation, and a solid offense. I had no reason to see us coming back to earth. When I look at the Indians, I don't see it. I don't see a fantastic lineup, I see a ton of guys playing over there heads (outside of there two most talented offensive players, Choo and Santana) and a pitching staff that has a few guys putting up ridiculously career years. That said, I do think Masterson has always had the potential to do what he's doing. But there are a lot of things that scream smoke and mirrors and I didn't see that with the 05 Sox.
  24. Chisoxfn replied to Kyyle23's topic in SLaM
    Is Alcatraz a TV show?
  25. QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:11 PM) I'm also saying this as someone who went to plenty of guy's friends weddings in college as a single without a date. I wasn't offended - I wasn't with anyone. Plus, I knew other people there. If you don't know anyone (somehow), maybe you try to work one in for them, but yeah, essentially cutting people you know for people you don't know doesn't really make sense. I don't care if it's not "proper," it's what's practical. Plus, you're footing the bill. Also Jason did you have anyone reply to you and put a plus one on there even though you didn't give them one? Like they assumed it? If so how did you deal with it? I think we had one person, which was on the list because of her parents, who added some random person. Since it was just one and was a parents friend, we didn't deal with it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have said something if someone did do that anyway (since the goal was to make sure we didn't have 25 to 50 extra guests). We did have one person who put himself and than went on to invite someone else anyway and let me know such intentions on the day of the wedding. I told him if he brought her, she could stand cause there wouldn't be a seat for her nor food for her (guy is just inconsiderate so I wasn't going to go out of my way for him). It was one of the few people I regretted inviting to the wedding. But I never had anyone gripe or complain about the no plus 1 unless serious rule. Its just stressful and I think people who have gone through a wedding, have a better idea of what it is like and tend to be more courteous than those who haven't been to many weddings/part of weddings and just don't realize the edicate and how much work goes into stuff and just how important it is to get an RSVP back, etc. The last thing you want to do is be tracking down and reaching out to people to find out if they are coming or not. Its just one more thing on a long list of things you have to do.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.