Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. And straight from the horses mouth, no player failed this weeks drug test and players get tested at random on a weekly basis. Iowa did confirm that one player had figured out a way to get around the drug tests. Bottom line: The DJK thing was bad and Hampton was just a druggy (3rd failed test, which is why he got kicked off the team as team policy is a 3 strikes and your out). Robinson is being suspended and now no one is sure whether that reason is related to a failed drug test or related to scholastic reasons (he was held out of a previous game for 1 quarter for missing a class).
  2. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 08:55 AM) Having 20 players involved in a drug scandal as well as probably not reporting positive drug tests. None of that is in fact true. 3 players were involved: Jewel Hampton (who was forced to leave the school), Adam Robinson (suspended for the bowl game, possibly for academic reasons), and DJK (who is probably going to end up behind bars). Iowa did not lie about anything or at least it wouldn't appear that way. Anything else is just a bunch of rumor mongering that was going on.
  3. If I'm the White Sox and the Yankees want a pitcher from me, I'm making them take my salary. I also want Joba Chamberlain and Brett Gardner. My thoughts are a Floyd + Teahen or Pierre for the two of them. Someone call tell me it is or isn't fair, but that is what I would, at a minimum, ask for. I'd also trade Edwin for Joba/Gardner. Note: I'm not saying the Yanks do this, but s***, if they feel they have a gun to there head, why not try.
  4. QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 13, 2010 -> 02:12 PM) Not sure if it all sticks, but I'll let you know. Supposedly some of the biggest names are involved. http://deadspin.com/5713139/somethings-going-down-at-iowa I've heard Arob is staying, suspended for the bowl game. Huge names, but sounds like Stanzi/Ballard are free. But this is huge huge news and incredibly dissapointing as a fan.
  5. Happy Bday Mr Mike!
  6. QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 06:22 PM) That fumble by Knox might've been down by contact, but before I am willing to give him a break he needs to have several games in a row where he knows what he's supposed to be lined up on every play, finishes his route, holds onto the ball without it bouncing off his hands, and challenges for the ball if Cutler doesn't throw it right on his hands or at his chest. He still does way too much rookie s***. He also dropped a nice 3rd down throw by Cutler. Cutler wasn't bad in that game, we just had a disasterous performance. Wow, wow wow, ugly. Not as bad as the Giants game, but close.
  7. The company I work is up for sale. Stock price is skyrocketing. Announcement came in the Wall Street Journal last night.
  8. QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 02:34 PM) Wow DJK, for once I am glad that you couldnt make grades to enroll at OSU. Facing 7 years in jail? Holy hell. Total dumbarse!
  9. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:17 AM) Even with Beltre and Soriano, I'd say they're still at best in a dogfight for that division with the Rangers, and maybe the A's, right now. They've really been hurt by their prospects not turning into the All-stars that they looked like. I don't expect the A's to do jack diddly squad, but that is just me (they'll pitch but struggle to score and will win somewhere between 75 and 85 games). Rangers are solid but the Angels have a rotation that could be pretty good and is at least solid (Haren/Weaver/Santana/Pineiro/Kazmir). The lineup will be much improved with Kendry Morales and as a whole they don't have near as many problems as I think the general media makes them out to have. They have holes in the back end of the pen and could use another bat or two, but if they got those things and combine it with having Sciosc as your manager, and I see no reason the Angels can't contend again.
  10. QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:16 AM) Ok we agree. My point all along is they are in the win now mode and they need a 5th starter/ long relief guy until they find out about peavy.( Sort of like a sean Lowe type of guy.This won't happen until closer to spring training when they get a better read on Peavy. They also need one or two other pretty decent relief pitchers. Bullpens make a huge difference in winning. Our best trading chip is viciedo. So unless they want to take on more payroll from a free agent he maybe our best bet. If you can get someone without him great. Next problem is having a starting pitcher in triple A who can come up for a start or two in case of rain outs, Injuries and so on. In the past we had some guys like that, but not seeing it there, for a "all in team". Maybe if people drop some in the spring training we can get a guy, but I think this is a hole as well. This would be the perfect time to have a guy like Hudson (not Hudson) but a prospect like him that we could use in a pinch for a few starts while we wait on Peavy. But right now we really don't have that guy available outside of Sale who seems to be penciled into an important spot in the bullpen. I completely agree the Sox will wait on starting pitching until they get a better read on Peavy. It really only makes sense. However, if I were the Sox and I traded some of my young prospects for a young pitcher, I'd do it with the thought the pitcher might also have a shot to throw a few starts for the squad. It will be interesting to see what the Sox do to round out the pen, but Kenny tends to do good work when he goes bargain hunting. I also have little doubt that the a month from now there won't be at least one or two veteran 5th starters that can be had at a bargain rate to hopefully give you some innings until Peavy comes back (or if Peavy doesn't, the Sox can than try to acquire another starter if need be, but now is just too early to do so). Focal point will definitely be on the pen for Kenny.
  11. I like the Angels if they are able to pick up a Adrian Beltre. They will probably go hard for Soriano too, but If I were them I'd see what I could do to pull Justin Upton.
  12. QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:05 AM) Heard the Sox are still kicking the tires on Accardo. Very typical for the sox, getting a guy off injury and try him on a bounce back year. Fits there MO. Ok, I know nothing about this guy. What is so intriguing about him? I assume we are referring to the guy that had played with the Blue Jays? All I can tell is that even the one year he posted a good ERA he had a horrendous WHIP (>1.5). I assume he has a live, power arm or something?
  13. QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:56 AM) slowly turning into me! Haha. I would be mad if they traded Viciedo for an old reliever. But if they got a younger player who is cost controlled, I have no problem with it. This team is built to win and while I dont' want to sacrifice the future and trade Dayan for a one year stop-gap, there are a lot of potential options that make sense, especially since as of now he has very few positions he could fit into.
  14. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:55 AM) I'm trying to forget about Juan Pierre right now because he makes me want to hurl. But I agree. Mitchell is one of, like, 2 prospects we have right now that really, really intrigues me. I just hope it doesn't take him forever to bounce back from missing so much time. So are you saying that you wouldn't deal Dayan, Flowers and whatever scrub for Broxton and maybe another piece? That's where this all started for me. I hate hypothetical trades with no substance like Megatron hates Optimus prime. But I'm buzzed and bored and had to speak my mind. Trayce Thompson is another guy that excites me. Incredibly high bust rate, but great raw tools (both offensively and defensively). I'd be pretty pissed if we traded him because I don't think we'd get the equivalent value for him.
  15. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:55 AM) I'm trying to forget about Juan Pierre right now because he makes me want to hurl. But I agree. Mitchell is one of, like, 2 prospects we have right now that really, really intrigues me. I just hope it doesn't take him forever to bounce back from missing so much time. So are you saying that you wouldn't deal Dayan, Flowers and whatever scrub for Broxton and maybe another piece? That's where this all started for me. I hate hypothetical trades with no substance like Megatron hates Optimus prime. But I'm buzzed and bored and had to speak my mind. I have no idea why you are buzzed at noon time on a Thursday, but I'd consider making that deal. The risk to me is Broxton is getting close to being a free agent and if I deal those prospects I'd prefer getting back more cost controlled guys giving the current financial situation of the Sox. But if JR is ok with the higher payroll that is fine. Broxton isn't cheap though (last year of a 2yr deal) so I don't really see how he is an option. Unless of course Teahen is involved in a deal. I would trade Teahen/Viciedo/Filler for Broxton.
  16. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:53 AM) Unfortunately...if we move him now, I think that's the likely result. His ceiling is a more powerful version of Vlad Guerrero, but if you move him now, you're moving him as a blocked player with a fairly low probability of hitting that ceiling. I assume you are talking about offensive ceiling, but even than I think this is a pretty ridiculous statement. Guerrero had a lot of power in his career and always hit for a very high average. On top of it, at one point in time, he was an above average defensive player.
  17. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:44 AM) Exactly. If the right deal came about. Flowers means nothing to me. But that's me. Viciedo as the centerpiece in a deal for Broxton? Sign my ass up. But the Dodgers wouldn't do it at this point. I think the Dodgers would contemplate the move. They have no logn-term catching prospect and Vicieco is a nice bat. Problem is they have Loney right now and I don't see the Dodgers playing Viciedo in the field so he really isn't a viable option unless Loney is dangled. Even than I'm not certain why the Dodgers would make this move as a whole. One thing to remember is the White Sox have a guy who could make Juan Pierre forgotten about in about 2 years...Jared Mitchell. Unfortunately his injury makes him a much bigger risk but I don't buy into Rogers crap. It seems like other reports have indicated that he showed his speed in bursts in the AFL. And as far as I was concerned, him just playing and getting a feel for things in the AFL was valuable enough. Now he gets to spend an entire off-season further improving his shape and preparing him for what will hopefully be a strong minor league campaign.
  18. QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:43 AM) Why? You're not alone, a lot of people feel that way. But I mean the kid's 21 years old. To me he's done a great job adjusting. His first year I was fine with as he was adjusing to life not in Cuba and last year I thought he made strides as well. He definitely has flaws but he's just shown so much potential. We're not talking about a 5th year minor leaguer we drafted out of college. We're talking about a 21 year old kid who has spend less than two full years living in the United States. I'm one of Viciedo's biggest fans on this site. I love the raw tools but I also know he has limitations. However, you made a valid point about letting him spend this season in AAA and playing left field on a regular basis. I don't have a problem with that, but I also know we have major league needs and if the right offer is out there I'm okay moving Viciedo.
  19. Chisoxfn replied to Jake's topic in Pale Hose Talk
    It certainly seems like a potential best case sceanario might be the Sox opening the season with Sale in the rotation. When Peavy comes back, Sale might have had 5-10 major league starters under his belt and hopefully a decent number of innings. The Sox can than drop him into the bullpen when Peavy is there and the pen is a way for him to throw fewer innings and control his major league innings. If/When a Sox pitcher gets hurt or struggles, you have the option to potentially go back to Sale. You obviously don't want to get in the habit of bouncing him all over the place but at this young age of his development, the major league experience outweighs the changes to the rotation/pen. Long term the Sox will have to decide on him but I think they have another year to evaluate him at the major league level (as long as he's getting guys out at a decent rate and is healthy).
  20. Chisoxfn replied to Jake's topic in Pale Hose Talk
    I love Peavy's attitude. The guy has "it" when it comes to being a leader and just being that firey competitor. I don't think I've ever pulled so hard for a guy to make a full return. Of course the last player I really pulled for to make it with one of my teams was Rex Grossman (who I just felt was a complete class act). Come on Peavy, return to form and have a strong 2 years with the Sox and fit yourself with a World Series ring as a member of the Sox!!!!
  21. QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:39 AM) Which is why they should let him try out a corner OF spot in Charlotte this year. Don't half-ass it and move him all around either. I love his bat and think it justifies giving this a shot. I have no issue with trying that. He has a very strong arm and he very well might be able to play left field. If the Sox keep him they need to pick 3B or LF and I'd probably lean to the easier position (LF) and let him have at it. There is no denying that he has quick hands and a live bat. At his age there is no reason to force a move. However, if the right offer was made I'd have zero problem moving Viciedo and I'd say touche to another team. But that would have to be a guy that was going to be able to help us for another few years and be cost controlled.
  22. QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:23 AM) You're going to rule Flowers out simply based on the parameter that he is in our system? C'mon now. Right now I agree with you. I think Flowers value is lower than his potential upside and I have no problem holding onto him. I also don't think a 2 year commitment to AJ should phase things. Injuries happen and its nice knowing we have a young catcher who is cost controlled with power potential down in the minors. He clearly has some offensive flaws to his game but his defense has apparently improved and it sounded as if the Sox had some optimism late in the season and they felt he could make strides with a good off-season. Would I trade him for the right piece, absolutely, but I can still see Flowers eventually emerging as a starter on the White Sox. I can no longer see that from Viciedo which is why I feel it is time to swing him (and potentially other players) for another talented prospect or young pitcher, if possible. Specifically for a team looking for a bat.
  23. QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:21 AM) Based on how tightly they held onto Viciedo last trade deadline (when they were desperate enough to even pay Manny tons per game)...there's no way they trade him now for a reliever. Well, unless the Sox feel he can play the field, he has nowhere to get regular at bats at for at least 3 full seasons (when Paulie comes off the books).
  24. We definitely have a need for pitching. We could use a 5th starter and we can definitely use bullpen help. I've assumed for a while we could contemplate going after a young arm that is cost controlled at some point in time that the organization likes. Viciedo and Flowers are pretty good options as guys to move at this point in time.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.