Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. Lol, I was just reading through this (before stumbling onto this thread) and eventually just gave up. You aren't going to change me, just adapt to it. I'm going to create my own dictionary and it will be far better than the Websters version
  2. QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:24 AM) Not sure what you mean. Obviously revenue sharing is helping for a lot of these teams, but also interesting numbers like the 60m+ broadcast rights for the Rangers and jumbotron revenues is what it is, they're not being tricky, it's just being disclosed. There's a reason, even in a bad economy, that there were at least 2 groups going for the Texas Rangers ownership, and it wasn't to have an opportunity to loose money. Obviously it has to do with each individual ownership group and how they run it once they get the team, because I have no doubt that it is possible to turn a MLB team into a financial disaster, but it's also possible to turn it into a moneymaker and have the public perception be you're breaking even or even operating at a loss... I think the Marlins stadium example is a good example of that. (Please don't take this post to mean that I'm questioning your analysis of it, obviously your career involves this sort of thing, I am just asking you to elaborate, I am always intrigued by pro sport finances.) I was only commenting on the person that said an accountant can take something that was a 4M profit and turn it into a 2M loss and vice versa. That is utter crap. Certainly there are regulations that enable you to capitalize certain things or you can get some beneficial one time write-offs, but at the end of the day, ultimately, it all will ultimately make its way into the financials. I also should point out that we don't know what exact debt covenants the Marlins had to reach to ensure they had access to funding, but that is a whole nother story. I think the Marlins made money, I just questioned the person who had a quote talking about what accountants good do. Sure, one year we might impact the financials one way or another (by capitalizing an item, thus delaying a chunk of the expense from hitting the P/L or by expensing the item, thus taking a 1 time hit which might allow future Net Income to apear higher). But one way or another the amount is still going to flow through the financials. And people are forgetting, teams can make a lot of money by seeing there franchise value increase significantly as well.
  3. I don't believe it. Someway, somehow, the numbers will eventually hit the financials. I'd have to see the situation, but I can walk through the logic. I've put together/audited quite a few financials of large institutions in my young career.
  4. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:28 AM) But...are there any data that would make you argue that Stras has actually been going more all-out-effort on his fastball this year? Maybe his fastball isn't down this year (i think it is a bit but that's arguable)...but it's not like he was throwing 94-95 on easy-toss last year and pushed it to 97.5 once he got to the bigs by upping the effort. It isn't necessarily the fastball. It might be in the high pressure situations he's throwing an extra snappy breaking ball, etc. A lot of factors and it definitely makes a difference when your in a high stress/tension situation vs a low pressure situation. How much Stras is doing that with all of the camera and lights on him, I have no idea.
  5. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 07:19 AM) He wasn't regularly punching 102 was he? His average fastball has been 97.5. That's a great fastball, but it's not 100+. He didn't average 100+ at SDSU either. He had ocassionally hit it, but college and minor leage guns, and even guns around the league tend to all be different by a few ticks. Stras also pitched on longer rest in college too.
  6. ESPN is acting like Stras is going to have to undergo Tommy John due to this injury. Basically stating that anyone that has this problem ultimately will need Tommy John in the very near future.
  7. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:32 AM) Um, I'm a Thomas fan too...but are you quite certain about that? There has been talk basically his entire time with the Sox that despite big contracts Frank has managed to keep having money issues. Almost everyone seemed to think that the JR/Thomas money issues played a role in the public blowups that finally happened when Frank actually left. Frank had a lot of investments go south, plus his divorce. He is not a rich man and could use all the money he can get. Doesn't make him poor either, but he can't just kick back and relax.
  8. I've read all of them. Very interesting stuff and it is getting HUGE HUGE play out on Florida sports talk.
  9. Chisoxfn replied to shipps's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 07:06 PM) I wish I was an accountant, my friend will be working 60-70 hr weeks making $25ish/hr plus overtime pay. As an intern. I worked overtime during my summer internship, but that was unpaid overtime (they paid 40 hrs/wk, and well so I didnt complain), and I stayed later whenever I could to get more work done. You only have so much time to make an impression. And when you switch full time, the big firms will pay you salary and have you worked 60-80 hours a week for a few months of the year, lol. But I do work over-time. If I'm busy, I stick around to get my s*** done. However, that doesn't make me an extra time, but I'm proud of what I do and I have am very ambitious and want to climb the ranks so if that means working on some extra projects or something, so be it.
  10. Heidenrich has good stuff. Nice veloc on his fastball and is considered pretty projectable. Last year during the draft I had heard some buzz from a scout on him and he raved about his "upside".
  11. Boston might have claimed him, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily the team with the worse record to claim him.
  12. If anyone thinks Frank should be in the booth, they are out of there mind. He is involved with the Sox for name alone and for what he did. Maybe he'll get better, but as of now, he's absolutely terrible.
  13. QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 22, 2010 -> 07:32 AM) Maybe. Maybe not. It would be a damn smart move though and we'd all be praising Ozzie if he did that. No I wouldn't. There are plenty of times games get played when people don't expect it. If our technology was so great, than why are weather men wrong quite often. The fact of the matter is, while you have info to predict, you don't know for sure what might happen and when you are told to start the game, you start it. Ozzie and every other manager in baseball would do it. At this point, you are just second guessing to second guess.
  14. QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 12:03 AM) What it means is response. I'd rather text my friends because I'll get a response within minutes(usually seconds)but if I email them I wont get an immediate response. Also with instant messaging, facebook, twitter etc.. theres no reason to use email. I can respond to an email as fast as a text (thank you smart phones). It isn't much different, excpet there is a bit more content/space.
  15. QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 08:21 AM) People really should talk about financial goals before they get married. We did. We have a plan for saving money and building credit before we buy a house, etc. This is a really big reason why living together before marriage is important. A lot of this stuff cannot be hidden when you are both seeing the same bills. I completely agree.
  16. Hopefully Putz just tweaked it and came out because it was a big lead and he figured no need to push it.
  17. I believe you get compensation through the 1st 4 rounds. But that is off the top of my head. And I will be interested in seeing how this ups Loux price. He's a talented project.
  18. Absolutely brutal. 4th round picks are pretty high picks and we let ours get away. The Sox continued cheapness in the draft and player development is just downright deplorable. We have a 100M payroll and put nothing into our farm system. I'd rather cheap out a bit on the big league team and put an extra 4M into our farm system because that 4M can pay off exponentially.
  19. Yes, the Sox just had a rough week, but remember a couple weeks back when the Twins were the team sliding and the Sox were just blowing past everyone? Well right now, the Sox aren't clicking on all cylinders? But that doesn't mean after 1 week everything is over. This team will need to regroup and get back on track and you know what, they will! So take some deep breaths and realize the season is not over and that we have the joy of watching pennant baseball down the stretch of the season. I don't know if we win the division or not, but this race ain't over.
  20. Damn, Miggy is good.
  21. Chisoxfn replied to Brian's topic in SLaM
    When does Survivor with jimmy Johnson start?
  22. I hope Hawk's ok.
  23. I wonder what happened? Galaragga seems like such a mild-mannered guy.
  24. I'm totally confused. Clearly something came up last minute otherwise they'd have been able to better prepare for this.
  25. Except Rudy is so talented that he might end up becoming our full-time starter.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.