Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Sox vs. Tigers 1:05 CT, CSN
I was about to ask the same thign. Where is Hawk or someone else to help Stone?
-
Chipper Jones tears ACL... probably done
I never said Chipper wasn't going to go. I just said Andruw was the better player in my eye. The guy was unbelievable in the field. Best I've ever seen. Chipper is one hell of an offensive player though, especially being a switch-hitter.
-
Teahen Up, Viciedo down
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 09:30 PM) I really wouldn't be all that surprised if it does, in fact, happen. We make fun of Ozzie because he has always had an infatuation with a pretty terrible hitter or player in general in the role into which they are thrust, but I think one of the biggest reasons Ozzie was playing Kotsay was because he hit left handed. There was talk that Kotsay was just having bad luck on his balls in play and whatever else, but Ozzie isn't stupid and even he realizes that Kotsay sucked. He didn't feel as though he had a choice. There were other lineups that people wanted to put out there, and I had no problem with trying certain things out, but what it really comes down to is that Ozzie felt that, against RHP, Kotsay was a better option than Lillibridge, Jones, and Viciedo (because he was never going to DH Castro). Is that reasonable? Because I'd say it is. This isn't to say that Kotsay is going to totally be phased out of the lineup, but I can most certainly see Teahen taking quite a few ABs away from him. I believe Ozzie at the beginning of the whole rotating DH idea suggested that he was going to use it to, first and foremost, keep bats in the lineup while giving them a break on the field, but he was also going to ride out the hot hand. Teahen looks pretty hot right now, and you aren't going to keep Quentin out of the lineup for Mark Kotsay. This also isn't to say that Teahen won't see time at 3B or in LF either. Teahen is the Sox backup 3Bman for the next two and a half weeks, for better or worse, because Omar Vizquel isn't going to play every single day for the remainder of the season. I completely agree with you and I think we will see Teahen get a lot of at bats from here on out. We will also see Kotsay hit too, but Teahen, will be a pretty valuable player for this club. His left handed bat will be huge against right handed pitching as it will push AJ down in the order and actually give the Sox some power from the left side. He also can play a few different positions in the field (none exceptionally). Teahen is the bat we have acquired and quite frankly, given our lack of left handed hitting, he's the perfect remedy.
-
Fangraphs Spotlights Breakout Year for Journeyman
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 01:53 PM) He showed up on BA's top 100 prospects list 4 times ('99, '00, '02, '03). Exactly. Rodriguez doesn't exactly have that pedigree. Werth had a lot of talent and put it together late. Torres/Rodriguez don't have that sort of talent (albeit Torres is a pretty solid athlete). Heck, the Sox best guy to be a potential breakout candidate would be someone like Threets who has a dynamite arm but never been able to put it all together.
-
8/13 Games
Phegley really has a nice offensive upside. The key question is will he be able to go get past his lifetime illness. I certainly hope so.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 02:44 AM) I disagree with the general sentiment that we cannot beat these guys. This next series we won't have Freddy throwing meatballs up there and we'll have Danks/Floyd/MB going at them, we can beat these guys, our pitching is superior to theirs. Sure, their offense is better top to bottom but with a little luck and GB/TCQ/Teahen back into the mix again we're not that far behind their Morneau less lineup. I just don't buy it that going 3-3 against them is going to be impossible. And secondly I think head to head matchups are overblown sometimes, we just need to play well the rest of the year and quit worrying about what they are doing. If we play our game we should walk away with the Central this year. f*** yes...I'm not about to say we aren't good enough to beat the Twins. That is pure bulls***.
-
Fangraphs Spotlights Breakout Year for Journeyman
Werth was also a former 1st rounder, IIRC.
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
f***!
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
Liriano has stepped up with bases juiced and no one out, but lets break his heart with a big one right here Q!!! Good 2 strike hitter!!!
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
Tough spot for Q....but I feel a Qperpowered HR!!
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
Come on Q!!!!
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
Damn...stranded AJ. But its ok...I'm here to provide some winning MOJO!!!!
-
Chipper Jones tears ACL... probably done
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 11:14 AM) At one point, those Braves' teams looked to have Andruw and Chipper Jones, Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux and Steve Avery all headed to the Hall of Fame. Avery's career was wiped out by the injuries, and Jones has very little chance to make it now, although he will probably get a lot of votes because of his 10 Gold Gloves. Andruw is about as sure fired of a HOF as there ever is. Best defensive CFer of his generation and one of the greatest of all time plus the guy had 400HR's and was a very good offensive player in the same span. He's more of a lock than Chipper, imo.
-
And that is a White Sox Winner!!!
Danksy!!!
-
8/12 White Sox vs Twins
Kick some ass Gavy!!!!
-
August White Sox Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:14 AM) Thank Goodness we're not stuck with that contract. Torri has been very good over a 3 year span with the Angels. I realize he still has 2 more years left on that deal and he is moving over to RF now, but the guy is going to be a stud defender over in RF and his bat has looked nice. I don't think the Angels regret that signing one bit. And he's produced this year with very little protection.
-
Madden 11 PS3 Online Dynasty Signup Thread
Moved to Slam.
-
8/11 White Sox Vs Twins
Guarantee it will happen
-
Game Thread 8/10: MIN v CWS, 7:10pm
Jobo has entered...Karma will return for tonight's game!!!
-
Technology catch-all thread
Stupid idea about this internet rule. Phone charger, don't care as much about.
-
The Official Run Into Outs Thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 08:04 AM) I don't think the difference is that drastic that a lot of things are getting thrown out the window. I don't have all the numbers, but the average MLB team scored 4.73 runs in 2003. In 2009, it's 4.61. That's around a 18 run difference. That is a decent difference. Baseball is won or lost by 1 run and that 2.5% difference could impact many calculations. I also want to point out that in 2010, the average runs scored (as of this point in time) is 4.42 runs. The change between 2003 and the current year production is ~50 runs. That is a huge difference. Or a 6.55% percentage change.
-
So that was a disaster of a series.
I call BS. Yes, we lost 3 of 4 to the worse team in baseball, but they played well and the Sox pitched well as a whole in the series and weren't terrible offensively. It was the lack of the key hit that killed us. The team was a few bounced from winning 3 of 4 and at the end of the day to me that means it wasn't a complete disaster. We weren't going to win all the time and we've been on the lucky side more often than not as of late so it doesn't shock me and I expect this team to respond from it in this key 3 game series.
-
The Official Run Into Outs Thread
Just to point something out, a lot of sabermetric studies are relatively obsolete due to the steroid era coming to an end. A lot of the factors/components that came into play regarding the impacts of getting thrown out, etc, change when in general scoring and offensive output are down. It is why teams are starting to realize how undervalued strong defensive players can be as well as the importance of running. Quite frankly, stats are important, but I have little problems with teams that are aggressive on the basepaths because I firmly believe you can create opportunities, etc. There is a time and a place for everything though but fundamentally I've been very happy with this White Sox team.
-
White Sox (63-48) @ Orioles (37-74), 5/5 Game THREAD
Lets split this series!!!! Forget about the last couple and win today baby!!!
-
Dreaming of working for the white sox
And just be aware there are very very few guys that make it. And if you can get an MBA from Harvard, know that you'll be turning down a 120K a year salary (or so, give or take another 30K) with bonus possibilities and options for a job that will pay you like 35-50K working for an MLB organization (Maybe less) just hoping you can prove yourself. Quite frankly, it is a pretty moronic decision, but to each there own. And even than, that MBA from Harvard will probably pay you a hell of a lot more over your time than it would if you went, worked in baseball, and even made it to be a GM.