Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:09 AM) If they go with a pitcher, then it sounds like Alex Wimmers is their guy. He's a very safe pick. Projects to go mid to late 1st round, with #3 starter kind of stuff (so he'll be on the board when the Sox pick). Low 90s fastball, nice curve, and decent change-up. He's pitched well for Ohio State this year. I have very little interest in Wimmers. If we draft a guy I want a big arm guy or someone with plus plus breaking stuff. We should be able to get that where we pick.
  2. QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:57 AM) FWIW, many people seem to believe that Wilson's demands won't be all that ridiculous and he's very inclined to sign. It seems like it depends on who you ask. A lot of people think he'll be a tough sign, others say he won't. It will be interesting to see what happens. A lot of teams though Trayce was going to be a tough sign, but it turned out the Sox had a good info that he would be willing to sign for a reasonable amount and were able to grab him. He's still incredibly raw, but we can't deny the talent.
  3. QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:25 AM) So yesterday in the game thread there were whisperings of changes coming today or tomorrow. Anyone know anything? I have a feeling Beckham might be sent down...I just hope that doesn't mean Vizquel gets more starts. But of course then the option is Nix. The Trib had an article saying Beckham wouldn't be send down. Personally I'd call Lucy up and let him start a few games, but thats just me.
  4. QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:19 AM) They had no intention of ever drafting Porcello. I remember telling Flash he was going to be very disappointed when he was saying there's no way the Sox won't take him if he continues to fall. Whether they had an intention of drafting him or not, doesn't mean that they did not scout him at some point. The Sox scout thousands upon thousands of guys for at least a one year period and in fact, it can even be a multiple year period (you might see a junior or even sophomore with talent while you are scouting a high school senior or college junior/senior). They don't really mess with the actual draft board until much later. The biggest part of the draft preparation is all of the scouting that goes on.
  5. QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:11 AM) Yes, I know for a fact they don't scout every potential 1st round player. They didn't scout Porcello a few years back. Not true, based upon my understanding, albeit limited, of the Sox draft process. But they are said to scout all of the top picks. Regardless of signability, etc. That stuff doesn't come into play until closer to draft day.
  6. I don't think Calipari is some package deal. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense quite frankly. Lebron will have power wherever he goes, but I agree with Chris Broussard that this talk of a package deal is pretty ludicrous. I think it is the mutual agent working to gain as much leverage as possible to set Calipari up for a big deal.
  7. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:10 PM) Pau Gasol is amazing. I honestly think he's one of the top 15 players in the game. Other than being "soft," he really doesn't have a legitimate weakness. You can say whatever you want about Kobe. But Kobe's ass wanted out when they were getting their asses kicked by the Suns a few years ago. It wasn't until the Lakers got Gasol for a used tampon that the Lakers went from .500 to title contender. He made my top 10 list I posted pages ago in this thread.
  8. Fullerton ended up losing its 2nd best position player, Gary Brown on Sunday. Broken finger, out a couple weeks. Hopefully he's back in time for postseason play. Guy is hitting around .450. He actually profiles as someone the Sox might look at if he falls into the 2nd round (most mocks have him going late 1st or in the supplemental round though).
  9. I don't blame the Sox if they don't draft Wilson. Brentz is a pretty good prospect in his own right, has a nice tool-set, etc. There is no reason to get upset with the selection of him. I am just surprised all of these mocks have the Sox taking an OFer when the Sox seem to be saying they'll be looking at pitcher. Raunado has continued to struggle a bit so its looking more likely that he'll be on the board at 13. Who knows how scared teams are of Ranaudo though. LSU's whole pitching staff has been struggling.
  10. I would love hiring Phil. We'd be able to bring Brian Shaw potentially over and I think he'd be a great long-term replacement as head coach.
  11. Chisoxfn replied to Chi Town Sox's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:48 PM) While going to Warwick castle would be ultra-cool (to me at least) since it was commissioned and built by William the Conqueror, I'd go on the first tour you listed. Canterbury Cathedral is one of the most famous churches in Christendom and is on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Sounds like we got a winner. You recommend Canterbury, Jim talks about Dover being awesome and that is 2/3rd of the trip alone. Sweet. Thanks for the help!!! I'll be hammering out the details of my France segment tomorrow. The past couple months I've just been bulletting all the things I want to see as I read various articles. Now I'm trying to narrow everything down based upon area to try and segment into specific days and boy is it a pain in the ass. On top of that I'm reading all kinds of reviews and relying on you guys/gals to help narrow down the good vs the bad as well as weigh in what me and my fiance's particular interests are. I'm glad I budgeted a good amount for site seeing/food because It is my first time to Europe and I want to really enjoy everything and not be bummed that I didn't spend the extra 50 bucks to go see ______. Which I should point out is rare for me, since I'm a total cheap ass, haha.
  12. Chisoxfn replied to Chi Town Sox's topic in SLaM
    If I was going to pick one of these 2 tours, which would you go with? Leeds Castle, Canterbury, and Dover or Oxford, Cotswolds, Stratford-on-Avon, and-Warwick-Castle We are for sure going to do a day tour of Bath, Stonehenge, and Windsor Castle already. Basically that would fill 2 days outside of England. And than we were going to spend 2 days in England. Within England one day was going to be set aside for a double decker bus tour, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and Wicked. The bus tour will allow us to see almost all of the key areas, plus it includes a river cruise. Not too bad for 30 bucks a person. The 4th day would be for the changing of the guard, pub crawling, etc.
  13. Chisoxfn replied to Chi Town Sox's topic in SLaM
    Is Westminster Abbey a place that you tour or more that you look at for a bit? Want to get an idea of how much time to set aside for some of this stuff (I'm also reading around online) as I try to design my full itinerary. Also are there anythings that are recommended for at night or daytime (i.e., that are much better at night or during the day). Maybe a romantic place for a sunset or anything along those lines. I know we are going to do Bath and a few other places during one day trip. And than also do a tour of the city in a double-decker bus (plus a river tour). Outside of that I assume there is enough stuff to see within the city that I should stay there (we are there for 4 days). Basically 1 day trip, 3 days in the city. I was thinking of getting tickets to wicked (found some discounted ones) and I've never seen it and am not usually an artsy fartsy guy but I think it would be a fun thing to do.
  14. QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:45 AM) So lets ignore Peavy and Buehrle's career numbers and base all judgment off of a few months? Is that what you are saying is smart GM-ing? Yep. Peavy is a darn good pitcher, I don't care what league he pitches in.
  15. I'd go for Salty. He has the most offensive upside of the group, imo. That said I would also be ok with Max Ramirez. I'd prefer both of those guys to Kris Davis.
  16. QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:25 AM) The rotation we have isn't all that great. Buerhle has been bad since the middle of last year. Same with Floyd. Peavy hasn't been anything near an Ace, much less an All-star type pitcher. It can be done, but you are praying for a ton of players to play significantly above what they ddi this year. I think that is a big risk, and not the way to build the team. Thats just my opinion though. Ya, I'm not concerned with our pitching. I'd actually be ok moving Buehrle, but I'm not dealing Floyd/Peavy/Danks. I'd still keep Mark though too, unless you get a strong offer from some club. And Floyd has not been bad since the middle of last year. The guy was dominant after his slow start up until his hip started bugging him.
  17. Chisoxfn replied to Chi Town Sox's topic in SLaM
    While in London, what are the key things to see/do based upon people's personal experiences? Same question about Paris?
  18. Chisoxfn replied to BigSqwert's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:55 AM) Roasted, unsalted almonds are pretty awesome too. I'd probably say Roasted, unsalted Almonds, pitsachio's, and walnuts are my 3 favorite nuts.
  19. QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:01 AM) Why is it tough to be competitive over those years again? We have the core of our rotation signed long term including a former Cy Young award winner. We have a good middle infield and what looks to be an All-Star caliber CF'er. Thats what you call the CORE of a team. You then add pieces to that as see fit to compete. We have a young starter in the minors, a catcher, a 3B and maybe an OF'er. Thus you have a core, young contributors and space for a vet free agent signing. Thats a competitive team right there for the next 3 years at least. I agree with you. And I think that is what makes everything tough. If they rebuild, they need to do it where they maintain the ability to utilize the rotation they have and some of the pieces they have. It can be done, it won't be easy necessarily, but it can be done.
  20. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:28 AM) Thornton has an option for 2011 correct? IMO, the only reason to move him is if you're worried about his elbow now. He's not likely to be worth that much less next year than this, you could even get more value out of him by turning him into a closer after moving Jenks, and worst case scenario I'd be happy to offer him arbitration after 2011. Excellent point. It just depends on whether the Sox see themselves competitive in 2011. If they don't, I'd think long and hard about moving him now so that you can get the prospects now in the rebuilding process. But again, if we move him to closer and he kicks ass (which he should), than his trade value would definitely increase. I think a team knowing they have him for another year at a bargain makes him a very very very big chip. In fact, I could see the Sox getting 3 of the top 5 prospects out of an organization.
  21. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:25 PM) About 80 of Jones PA have been as an OF. The Sox DH's have 12 RBI, with 6 coming in one game. (Quentin) The problem with this rotating DH is you are always playing someone who isn't hitting at all. If you aren't used to it, DHing isn't a very easy adjustment for everyone. They need offense. They can be stubborn and refuse to admit they are wrong and watch the season and the fanbase melt away or they can do something about it. Its time. A rotating DH can be smart, if you have 4 or 5 guys that are decent hitters and at least one of those guys has some flexibility defensively, but when part of a rotating DH are guys that shouldn't start (even in the case of a platoon situation), than you have a serious issue.
  22. QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:18 AM) The only players that need to be traded (in my mind) are A.J., Konerko, and Jones. You might as well shop Putz too, and i can't see Jenks really fetching anything, unless he's a piece in the package. I'd DFA Williams, Vizquel and Kotsay, and just restock the 25-man with younger guys. Note: Not Danks 2 or Viciedo. Not Yet. Thornton, Putz, and Jenks are all options as well. Thornton has one year left on this team before he gets expensive and at that point, you have to ask yourself whether it is worth it to pay huge money to a reliever. Now Thornton might be the best lefty reliever in the game, but he should command 10M a year and I don't think I'd pay my closer 10M a year. Jenks probably has little value, if any, but if you can save money great. Putz, well, if he can pitch decently he should have significant value. Set-up men tend to be big time commodities at the deadline. And despite Putz ERA, his periph's look pretty solid. It should be pointed out, if the Sox make the above moves, they clearly won't contend in 2010. In fact, they'd be downright awful.
  23. Great story.
  24. QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:04 AM) Charles Oakley, who's close friends with LBJ, thinks he'll go to the Bulls or Heat. Those would be his two best options, imo. Playing with Wade is a pretty damn good incentive if I do say so myself. I could easily argue that the Heat offer the best chance for Lebron to win. Plus they have a much better coach and could always have the option of letting Riley coach again (which might be attractive to LBJ). Bulls offer a very good chance to win as well and the bigger marketplace. Miami offers the great chance at winning plus a real nice city with much better weather and of course no state income tax.
  25. QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2010 -> 05:21 AM) I rarely cook, but when I do I am actually quite good. It's actually a skill that is pretty nice to have. ^^^^ That

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.