May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

Keith Olbermann just tweeted:

Just talked AZ with Ozzie Guillen, Venezuelan-born American. Said he would go to All-Star Game in Phx next year as team manager..

"I'd have to," Guillen said. "The players should go too. But if I'm a coach, I'm not going, I have to support my people.".

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized that if you take this team's games against the Indians out of their record, they're 9-9. 9-9 against Seattle, Minnesota, Texas, Toronto, and New York isn't all that bad, to be honest with you.

Man it really sucks that we're 1-5 against such a crappy team.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Keith Olbermann just tweeted:

Just talked AZ with Ozzie Guillen, Venezuelan-born American. Said he would go to All-Star Game in Phx next year as team manager..

"I'd have to," Guillen said. "The players should go too. But if I'm a coach, I'm not going, I have to support my people.".

I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

You mean, if he's fired, or quits or something?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
6 Ks in two days. Do you think that Beckham should sit tomorrow in favor of Nix or Vizquel?

I think he's really messed up mentally right now. Just not hitting the pitches he's supposed to be hitting. I wonder what's going on.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
I think he's really messed up mentally right now. Just not hitting the pitches he's supposed to be hitting. I wonder what's going on.

Maybe he needs a temporary special hitting instructor, like Thomas did with Hriniak.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)

IF you watch him at the plate, he has a godawful swing technique right now. His hips are flying open on every swing, for starters. I believe his head is flying out following it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
IF you watch him at the plate, he has a godawful swing technique right now. His hips are flying open on every swing, for starters. I believe his head is flying out following it.

Similar to Quentin and his head maybe?

I didn't want to give this it's own thread because I don't know how strong of an argument it is... yet, so I'll put it here.

The White Sox seem to have their fair share of "free swingers": Rios, AJones, Quentin, Alexei.

It isn't easy to define a "free swinger" and I don't just want it to be strikeout rate; to me (for the most part) it is hitters that have roughly the same approach at the plate regardless of the situation. It is the kind of hitter that when a pitcher is "on" or has good stuff you know before they even step into the box that they have no chance.

And to clarify, I will admit that I am also not sure if this style hitter is just more "hard to watch" for someone that follows baseball closely, than it is actually bad for winning games.

Now, it is impossible to decipher exactly who qualifies for this prestigious group but...

I feel like most teams have between 1-3 of this style hitter while the Sox have a resounding four in their everyday lineup.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)

It also looks like he's standing straight up in the box when he sees a fat pitch, as if he's coming out of his stance too early. And this high fastball fascination of his is concerning.

I was interested in hearing some of the more damning things that Swish did during his tenure as a White Sox, and sure enough with the Yankees series some of the cropped up. According to Mark Gonzalez the Sox were turned off by Swisher's.... bobble head? "The Sox were well-aware of Swisher's outgoing nature that could be viewed as being self-absorbed, especially after one incident in which he showed his bobble head doll to his teammates in the clubhouse." That's some pretty intense stuff. Also, from some comments Cowley made on the radio, it sounds like Paulie and A.J. were almost immediately turned off by Swish. Now, we know that Jenksy and Uribe were fine with him because they played into his Dirty 30 goatee shenanigans, and we know Joe Crede was fine with him, because he countered with his “Hardcore 24,” but it makes me wonder about the Veteran Click that ruled the clubhouse for years, and how their opinions on certain player seemed to have a huge effect on the stage of the clubhouse and the perception of certain members of the team being expressed by the media. It makes me wonder if the Dye-Rios comments and the Getz clubhouse comments debacle were not isolate incidents but indicative of a bigger problem behind the scenes.

And there's NO reason he should continue to bat 2nd at this point.

Where do you want him to bat? I think this lineup obsession is overrated.

We got what, six hits again today? Seven? Lots of guys are sucking on a daily basis.

I got no problem with beckman up high.

I just want Pierre ninth to delay my bad mood every night.