Everything posted by SoxAce
-
2010 MLB Catch-All Thread
Nate Robertson + cash considerations traded to Florida for prospect Jay Voss.
-
3/29 vs Angels- 9pm- CSN
Game mercifully ends in a 7-7 tie.
-
3/29 vs Angels- 9pm- CSN
Matt Thornton is so automatic sometimes its scary.
-
3/29 vs Angels- 9pm- CSN
Tony Pena has a nice little pickoff move.
-
3/29 vs Angels- 9pm- CSN
QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 11:25 PM) Someone who came into the sox organization so touted for his D, this kick the ball/throw the ball into the stands crap has got to get better. He's very legit at 2B. Prior to last season, that is the only position he played throughout his career. Anyone else notice every time a player hits a ball off Linebrink (even weak pop ups) he covers his face/head real fast even when a ball is not even close to hitting him?
-
New Admin
QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 10:19 PM) If you were offered a position they must have been extremely desperate. If you took that as an insult... well it was. Suck my balls A.J. Suck em dry.
-
3/29 vs Angels- 9pm- CSN
What a boring game. Then again, I've been bored for 3 weeks or so now. Next Monday can't come soon enough! BTW, I think this will be Alexei's 20/20 year.
-
New Admin
QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 10:30 PM) Five people in the top 20 are neither a mod or admin, though one (wite) has been in the past. Fathom is second, steff is eigth, wharris is eleventh, wite is fifteenth (has been a mod), and then you come in at eighteenth And Ace declined a mod offer in 2006. Ya that's right, I put myself out there..
-
2010 AL Central Catch-All
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:21 PM) The scouting report sounds nothing like Nathan though. Nathan's slider is/was sick nasty. For comparison's sake... Jesse Crain - 2.00 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 3 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9 (and 0 HR in his first 111.2 IP) in 180 innings while being younger at each level and with what appears to be better stuff. He's been a relatively mediocre reliever for the Twins. It's very hard to gauge minor league relievers, and assuming that scouting report is accurate, Slama doesn't sound like anything dynamite. Obviously I gotta put my sarcasm in green more often. He will probably be another Morillo in terms of good numbers but something not clicking. I was more or less saying that the Twins usually find unknowns and plug them very well. Hell I never thought Lew Ford woulda been as good as he was for one year.
-
Cubs promote OF Tyler Colvin to MLB
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:18 PM) I agree. After reading my quote, I realized I forgot the important word "can't" in my sentence. Hope that you didn't think I was advocating them brining him up to the MLB level already. Naw I got what you were sayin.
-
Films Thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:12 PM) Take this man's Admin powers away. He's getting married. His "man life" in essence, will already be taken away.
-
Cubs promote OF Tyler Colvin to MLB
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:10 PM) I find any way in which you have your 24-year-old top prospect completely skip AAA just for a bench role. The guy wasn't even that great in AA last season also. This is not even saying he was seriously overdrafted comming out of Clemson. (I remember saying the guy wasn't even a 1st round talent, yet alone a top 15 pick. He would had been a steal in the later rounds possibly 3rd-5th) The guy has serious flaws in his game (I mentioned his plate discipline being one), and putting him on the bench, possibly to get "something" out of him, is not good for his development.
-
Winter/Spring 2009-10 TV thread
QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:08 PM) June! Thank you Felix.
-
Wood's 20 K's vs Buehrle's perfect game
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:42 PM) He threw at least 115 pitches in 5 of his next 8 outings. His pitch count was only at 110 pitches going into the 9th and like you said, that hit came in the 3rd inning and he hit Biggio in the 6th so he was on an incredible role through 8 and it was only a 2 run game, he had a lot things going for him going into the 9th, not just K's. Man.. really explains how terrible Riggleman was back then in handling pitching staffs and bullpens. I believe he was very good as far as lineups and using his bench.
-
Winter/Spring 2009-10 TV thread
QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:46 PM) The 3 animated shows I enjoyed were American Dad, Futurama, and King of the Hill and right now none of those are having new episodes. Although the first 2 should hopefully both be having new episodes in near future. Ya Futurama is having new episodes I believe in May or so. I can't wait for that.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:51 PM) 43/50. Ya I got 40/50. Totally forgot some names I should had gotten. 03 and 08 drafts of course were very good.
-
Peter Gammons: 6 Teams to Watch
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...5&start=765
-
Wood's 20 K's vs Buehrle's perfect game
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:00 PM) Sure there is, every baserunner increases your pitch count and the likelihood that you get pulled from the game. The only reason that Wood was even afforded the opportunity to go for 20 K's was because he only allowed 2 baserunners the entire game and was in turn able to keep his pitch count down. 3 extra baserunners along the way and he'd have been pushing 140 pitches by the end of the 9th something he didn't come close to doing until 2003 (he's only gone above 133 once in his career). Especially in a close NL game where you have the added element of having to hit, there's always the chance that you'll have to be lifted for a pinch hitter and it just makes the manager's decision easier if you have 115 pitches through 7. In '07 Jake Peavy had 16 K through 7 IP but had thrown 117 pitches thanks to the 5 baserunners he had allowed, he didn't come back out for the 8th. Your acting like that error to Orie (yes I still call it an error even though it was a hit) was later in the game. That happened in the top of the 3rd so Wood already knew that he gave one up long ago (Biggio's HBP was in the 6th). I would say that would seriously decrease the pressure of throwing goose eggs, and just going all out (in fact.. the runner was at 3B cause of the sac. bunt to 2B. and Wood balked moving him to 3B) Wood also had 18 K's into the 9th inning so he would have either tied or broken the record. There's not a doubt in my mind if he only had say.. 16 Ks he would not have pitched the 9th inning especially with his pitch count over 100 not to mention he was a young guy comming in not pitching that much stressful innings before. In essence, that game (along with the additional innings pitched afterward from AAA to the stressful innings and pitch count in the bigs) cost him his elbow later on during the season and 1999.
-
Wood's 20 K's vs Buehrle's perfect game
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:52 PM) Do you mean Uribe? Ah my mistake. I had the "ALEXEIIIII" call from Hawk in my head on that one. Hell I had Fields name typed out before I realized it was Konerko that was playing 1B in the Texas game.
-
Thank You White Sox
That is amazing Matt. I'm happy for you and your family staying strong like that.
-
Wood's 20 K's vs Buehrle's perfect game
QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:40 PM) While amazing Wood did it so young, this point favor to Buehrle in that those hitters have seen him a million times in person and on video, while Houston hitters probably had no clue about Wood except for his 97MPH fastball...when they saw that hammer coming, it was time to bail! I still remember a quote (I think it was Biggio) stating it would be like hitting against a ghost out there as they had no clue about his stuff (only could look at the couple starts on film and scout quotes in AAA) If Kapler didn't hit that one hard hit ball to Wise for the catch, Buehrle might have had the easiest perfect game in terms of basically no great plays on defense at all ever in a no-hitter. (hell in his no-hitter against Texas, guys like Crede, Uribe, Konerko, even Dye etc.. were outstanding defensively)
-
Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread
QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:21 PM) The John McDonough (sp?) philosophy is looking to be as successful for the Hawks as it was for the cub. Use high priced free agents to market your winning mindset, watch ticket prices sky rocket. He is percieved as a genius for resurrecting both organizations. The thing is, he does not spend money wisely and cripples the franchise but he builds enough of a "scene" that the revenue is there to support it. The Leno appearance was a prime example of marketing over winning. Seems the team may be buying into the hype. We shall see if it pays off. This all could be an overeaction but it is a feeling I have always had about the situation with upper management of the Hawks. I was never a fan of his personally (nor his arrogance, it's like if you say one negative thing about the Hawks he'll try his damnest to get you fired), but I'll leave it at that. I also don't think Stan Bowman will ever be as brilliant as his father (or even as good of a GM as Tallon which is sad (minus the FA signings/cap $, which Tallon was brutal in, though he was outstanding in talent evaluation in trades/drafting), but I'm willing to give him the chance and hope he proves me wrong but that's my personal opinion.
-
2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training
Gammons on his six teams to watch for this year. White Sox are one of the six.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 12:40 PM) Was that intentional? I edited it. I was thinking of the Jordan/Pippen/Rodman years when I was typing it.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 08:16 AM) The "I need to be the man" concept is a guaranteed loser. If he wants that, then I'd almost rather not have him, because that's moronic. He can still have that here though. Even if the "I need to the man" option isn't good, he can be "the man" here playing next to Rose who is more of a facilitator anyway. I would think that would also increase Rose's assist numbers and overall development playing next to a superstar as well (and decreasing his scoring since he wouldn't have to score as much for the team to win) He can be the Batman next to Rose's Robin.