Everything posted by SoxAce
-
Dodgers @ White Sox 3/5/10 ST game 2
QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 02:26 PM) Lillibridge almost blows a simple throw from 2B... Good thing he can hit. Very nice.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 02:09 PM) Can Julius Peppers be the scoring big man that the Bulls have been waiting for? Well... he was a pretty good basketball player.. but he's only 6'6 and with his weight, he'd be an undersized SF/PF.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 12:09 PM) Um...I'm a Packers fan, whoever said I didn't like Kamp? Re-read what I posted. I was implying myself, not you.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 11:52 AM) Swore I read he was younger but guess not, who cares, still over 30 and Kampman is just as good for less. Enjoy the price you overpay to get Peppers. I guess I better be careful when I just turn 30 when I tell people I'm already "over 30" We'll see how Kampman bounces back from destroying his knee last season (not to mention go back to a 4-3). And this is comming from someone who likes Kamp.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 07:24 AM) Its official, Bears sign Manumaleuna http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...anumaleuna.html Thank god, I like Dez to an extent, but get his old declining ass out of here. QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 10:31 AM) I see nothing indicating the Peppers and Taylor deals are done, frankly, you guys can have both. Both are over 30 and imo your better off with Kampman who is younger and will take less money to get. Your still thin at DE anyways after losing Adams, Ogunleye and Anderson. Peppers is younger than Kampman. (albeit only a few months) Peppers just turned 30 two months ago. Taylor is 30 right now (will be 31 in late November/December I believe)
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 01:12 AM) Rolle wants $8 mil a year. Yea, Bears officially out of that race (they don't like his price) so look for them to go after Atogwe (who, IMO, fits more with their scheme anyway). Peppers, Taylor (don't remember how well he catches passes as I think Martz will use him there ala Priest Holmes, not to mention backup Forte), Atogwe, Manumaleuna would make for one hell of an offseason already. (still need OL help too, maybe a WR though I think the Bears believe they are fine with their group as Lovie, Martz, etc.. have been hyping them up)
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:11 PM) Sounds like the Bears are close on Peppers and Chester Taylor. They are visiting the Bears on Friday. Sounds like both might be signed in the next few hours.
-
3/4 GAME THREAD: Spring Training Game ONE
QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 04:19 PM) Teahen with a hit back up the middle. He's my pick for a surprise player. Hopefully I'm right about him this season. That a boy Cuban Tank. I g2g guys.. I look forward to reading this later.
-
Daley Trying To Score 2nd NFL Team??
QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 04:18 PM) The Bills are awesome though. They have quite a bit of Super Bowl history, they've been around a long time, and they have rabid fans. Try fitting any of those statements into the Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Tennessee Titans. You guys are even 4 up on the Lions or Browns fans. They've been around for a long time and have never even gone to the Super Bowl. To be fair, even the Bucs won a SB not too long ago, but I know what you mean regarding their prior history. Lions, Browns, Jags, Titans.. yea.. brutal.
-
3/4 GAME THREAD: Spring Training Game ONE
QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 04:15 PM) isn't he like 5'11"? Might be shorter than that supposedly... maybe he meant by weight.
-
P90X
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:57 PM) Anyone want to post a couple of the ab excerises for this program? I do some hard ab excersises at my local gym, but am curious what these consists of... I see no one is gonna touch your question. (or mine prior)
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 03:34 PM) So like 3 6 minute games and a 27 minute one when fans and JN were both demanding more minutes. Wasn't Friday's game an OT one? Somethin like that. I still feel VDN f***ed up on that decision. Noah was better off being rested those games (might have been back in about a week or so from now if that happened), or you play him 5-10 minutes, than up it to about 5 more to see how he feels. Not play him 6 minutes twice then 25+ minutes. That was just a poor decision once again. (though Vinny is used to that) Not only costing Noah time to heal up, but s***.. his stats dramatically dropped. (I know Noah doesn't care about personal stats, more-so winning, which is why I have more respect for him than Deng, but it probably lost him the most improved player award)
-
3/4 GAME THREAD: Spring Training Game ONE
I'll miss this one, but I look forward to reading this thread later with the updates and such.
-
2010 MLB Catch-All Thread
Justin Upton contract extension is official now... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4962429 6 years, 51.25 million.. only 22 years old.. and already a monster.
-
The 2010 DH Slot -- What it is, what it isn't
QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:12 AM) This is where I differ. I don't believe it's the same thing at all. In the past, if you wanted to rest a regular like CQ, PK, or JD, the only way to get him that rest was by sitting him. Why? Because you had the prototype "DH is all I can do" type monopolizing the AB's coming out of the DH slot. So, as a consequence, two things happened, both of them bad: (1) there was a pronounced tendency to not rest these guys because of the fear of the steep drop-off when you did (resulting in tired fading players in the dog days of the season); and (2) when reality set in and it was recognized that you had to rest these guys, I think this is when we started seeing the beginnings of that dreaded "Sunday lineup" (the mindset seeming to be: let's rest the lot of them ... sure, we're likely to lose today ... but live to fight another day). That was then (the old approach), this is now. In theory, now you can "rest" CQ, PK, Pierre, and even AJ (easier still if Retherford could become the 3rd string catcher/utility guy) without losing his bat altogether. Simply give each of these guys a day here or there at DH, or if they're really dragging a day off entirely followed by a block of days at DH. All AB's over the course of the season are not the same. If you implement "rest" intelligently (and to major league hitters, DH-ing for a few games is most definitely "rest"), you can have a more sensible way of giving a player say 600-700 plate appearances than another way of giving him the same number of plate appearances. I think that's all this new theory is really about -- using flexibility to maximize the chances of overall lineup maximum performance. Let's be smarter about the 600 AB's for our most important guys; let's keep our bench uniformly sharp so we maximize their talents and have them ready as can be for the stretch and post-season; let's not give away games by the Sunday lineup. I recognize that many of us might not like the talent level of our bench (I happen to think it's league average at worst, but with a chance of being significantly better -- can you hear me Andruw Jones?); lots of us might think that Ozzie might not have the managerial abilities or discipline to implement this new philosophy. I also believe Sox fans as a whole are traditionally very aware of the limitations of our players (starters and bench), but don't spend nearly as much time analyzing the rosters of other elite teams (and you'll find true "dog" players on every team's bench -- far inferior, in my mind, to the much better than we usually have bench now). But, that aside, I have no doubt whatsoever that this is their plan. In the end, we arguably give some of our aging or injury-starters the best chance to put up strong numbers. Yes, when we pull them out of a defensive position and into the DH slot we're going to give AB's to players like Jones and Kotsay. But that was going to happen anyway. At least now, on those games we have a better DH in Quentin, Konerko, and occasionally Pierre, then we would have had for 2010-model Jim Thome. If we go with this approach all year, I think the overall numbers produced by the six or seven headed monster slotting in as our DH will be very strong. And that doesn't even factor in the benefit provided by sliding these guys over to DH now and then, giving them the chance for real, intelligent, and meaningful rest, and staying out of this Sunday lineup mentality. I'm repeating myself and am not trying to convince anybody that this will work. Reasonable minds can differ. Like Rongey, I think we're likely a better offensive team than most people think. Sure, we need guys like Rios and Q to return to form. I don't think this is a real leap of faith. But, I think we're better than people think even with realistic projections for a guy like Andruw Jones. And if Jones somehow channels the ghosts of Oscar Gamble, Eric Soderholm, and Ellis Burks, then we'll have something special offensively to pair with what SHOULD BE (I remember a year like 1984 too vividly to be too confident of pitching projections) a truly special pitching staff. I'm pumped for this year. I have no problem rooting for this team, this configuration, these guys. Go Sox. Another insightful poster. You'll fit it quite well here at soxtalk. :cheers
-
Soxtalk Fantasy Baseball Registration Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:49 PM) Well, I know how good of a poster you are here, I'd be glad to have you as a member of any league that I'm a part of. Stop trying to butter me up Jeremy. It's kinda working....
-
P90X
Man I need to either get money to get this program (though I could have gotten it months ago, before I lost my job) or I need some exercises on there that is good for me to do now.
-
Soxtalk Fantasy Baseball Registration Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:29 AM) Why's that? I don't know...
-
Finding jeans that fit right
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:20 PM) You're a flamer. And your a lame-er.
-
Finding jeans that fit right
I'm a Levi's guy too, but I do rock out Inner City Energy (or generic jeans) as well. And I love soxbadger. That is all.
-
Official 2010-11 NFL Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 12:54 PM) Everyone was thrilled with the Olsen pick at the time though. It sucks that he hasnt turned out, but I know a whole bunch of us thought he was going to be a star and the pick was regarded to be pretty good at the time. Picks like that and Benson I dont pin on Angelo as much as I do the player. But dont get me wrong, Angelo has f***ed up a bunch of drafts He was regarded as a top 15 pick, who the Bears got very lucky in nabbing since he dropped, and other teams pretty much had good TE (or they had more glaring needs at other areas). It was a steal at the time, and still love the pick till this day.
-
Tuesday's B-game
QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:09 AM) You should want the guy that's the best option for them right now. Hudson could very well be the future, but for now, 2010 is what matters when they decide on starter number 5. Too early to dismiss him. Hell for all you or I know, Hudson could be the best guy right now as well. You can't dismiss that. Freddy pitched decent his 9 starts (4.34 era) but who knows how that will translate this season. I am a spect lover, so I do have a bit of a weak side for prospects, and I'm pretty high on Daniel. And c'mon, unless Cabrera had a 1 era (or basically pitched very, very well) and guys like Dolsi, Santos, Hudson, etc.. etc.. had like 8 era, there was no way Cabrera was making this team anyway. This isn't a Nick Masset situation here.
-
Franklin Gutierrez
QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 01:54 AM) He was talking about projected range and such. If we're talking about the future, Mitchell has much better tools to be the better outfielder. He's just much more athletic and his range should be greater than Danks'. We'll see if it translates. Just because your fast and athletic, doesn't mean you have the instinct to excel at a position especially as important as CF. I'm rooting for him though.
-
Franklin Gutierrez
QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 01:24 AM) Yes and yes. Mitchell's better though. I'd bet my left nut, as of right now (not to mention from watching both in college, though Mitchell was a RF and I saw Danks alittle bit in high school from scout tapes), Danks is the much better CF. Mitchell is still raw there defensively. Not saying he could potentially be better (he does have much better speed), but Danks is the much better defensive CF right now. They both have the projected range that could make them good CF's (jump, ability) etc.. to answer the other posters question BTW. We'll be extremely lucky if one, yet alone both ever make it. It'll be fun watching Mitchell develop there though.
-
Leno going back to Late Night
QUOTE (3E8 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:27 PM) This may not be up long Outstanding.