Everything posted by SoxAce
-
Who will hurt us more?
QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:08 PM) You dismiss statistics in favor of your eyes. Every time. Eyes tend to tell a great deal of lies. It's a two way street, you just can't be married to things you think you saw. When it comes down to it, you don't get the whole picture just from visuals, nor can you from stats. It's a very, very in depth combination. Anytime anything other than generic statistics are brought up you insist on letting us know that there are flaws, i get it, you have more than stressed it enough. Advanced statistics are intended to help us get a better understanding of the game, not the opposite. Sabremetrics is one never ending pursuit to benefit the game of baseball. There is lots of forward progress, backwards progress, and forward progress again in the sabremetric community, just like any other field. Very little is definitive in this game. You are a traditional baseball fan, through and through. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't keep coming off as what you say is gold, and everything others think is rubbish. I could be wrong and you have no intention to come off that way, but that is how i interrupt it. For what it's worth, i think you are a damn fine poster who adds another much needed dimension to soxtalk. I have noticed when i agree with you (your posts in general, does not mean i replied), i agree wholeheartedly, and when i don't, it's like we are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. It's nice to have a level head around here, considering that the ratio is probably somewhere in the 20-1 range. The pessimism just for the sake of being pessimistic is extremely old. You know it's sad when this board is dead during a seven game win streak and absolutely hopping on a five game losing streak. People just love to female dog and moan. Agreed 10000000% with all of this.
-
looking forward to next offseason?
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:02 PM) Where did you here this? Well thats why I put "supposedly" but from what I gather, The Reds were throwing Votto out there just to see what kings ransom they can land. Walt, of course, denied it strongly early on this offseason, but there were rumors (not to mention an inside source of mine, so take it with a grain of salt) that said he did indeed throw him out there. I believe next year he's arb eligible so his salary will jump. I would think they would move him to LF once Alonso is ready, but I'm not sure if the Reds would sub the offense for the defense in Votto since he's bad in LF. (not to mention it baffled me why they threw him out there in the first place, unless they were looking for a stud OF) I dunno what is up with the city and management though. Cinny predident said the financial stuff was "blown out of proportion" but the same thing was said about Detroit too. Never thought Granderson was gonna get dealt, but here we are. Then again.. Cinny signed Chapman for what 50 million, so who knows.
-
looking forward to next offseason?
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:53 PM) Because the Red's have Yondor Alonso, right? I wouldn't put much faith on a prospect, but he's a good one, but that is not the reason. (well.. only reason) Hell Votto was quietly shopped this offseason by the Reds supposedly fielding offers. I love AGon, but that's one of the few reasons why I wasn't so bend out of shape by him like others were here. The Reds (city, management itself etc..) will be a mess next season.
-
looking forward to next offseason?
I'll be looking forward when the Reds place Joey Votto on the block next year. But other than that, I'm not too interested in the offseason as we got business to take care of this season.
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 01:32 PM) I can never not be biased, as I grew up during the Jordan era, so that time will always stand out to me. But we've got some special, special players in the league today. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Melo, Durant, Paul, Howard, Paul, Nash, Bosh, ect. Paul is so special you had to say his name twice huh? Hell when Nash/Kidd get too old, we got some new studs ready to step in comming up in the next couple years in the draft. (some still in high school) Gonna be a fun ride to watch.
-
Happy Birthday iamshack!
Happy B-Day Mark. :cheers
-
Ozzie Guillen is now on twitter
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:48 AM) Who would seem more dangerous to you with a twitter account? Calipari or Ozzie? Well he was just an example, but ya.. I view Ozzie as great comedy relief though.
-
Ozzie Guillen is now on twitter
QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 02:29 AM) You don't see the distinction between player and coach though? I guess I'll tell John Calipari he better watch his ass then.
-
Ozzie Guillen is now on twitter
This has gotten way more attention than it should have by the media. It isn't THAT big of a deal, especially with other strong personalities (Ocho Cinco, Shaq just to name a couple) who use twitter.
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
Wow... Tomas Kopecky just knocked out Sweden with the winning goal. Yes.. thats right.. Kopecky.. The defending "gold" champs go home on the upset. I thought Sweden would have advanced no problem. Good to see a couple of Hawks in the finals though. USA-Finland Canada-Slovakia (Hossa/Kopecky vs Toews/Keith/Seabrook)
-
ESPN Sportscenter Pranked
QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 11:25 PM) The best was when Richard and Sal pretended to make out with each other during the financial crisis :lolhitting
-
Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread
Deng had a "quiet" 31 points. At least for this game, he looks like he "gets it." Shoot the open shot when DRose (or whomever) passes you the ball (assist for him, 2-3 points for you) and drive when you need to. And I'm sick of VDN now dicking around Noah. If he's only playing 6 minutes a game, (especially when he wants more playing time) then just sit him out and have him rest the foot. (not to mention VDN is costing him the most improved player award with Noah's stats drastically dropping now) I love when a reporter asked why Noah played 6 minutes Vinny said "uh" about 4 times trying to create an excuse. (not to mention putting the starters back in, taking some PT away from guys like JJ, a minute left up by 10)
-
Who will hurt us more?
QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:27 PM) I just want to make sure I get this right: you would be satisfied with the contributions of an individual Sox player that hit .225 with an OBP below .300 over only 90 games as long as his defense was good? Since when did defense become overlooked? I thought that and pitching is what win championships.
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
PARISE AGAIN! USA will WIN IT!
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
Damn Parise hit the goal post! Has to be the second or third time that has happened for the U.S.
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
That is a bulls*** call on Kesler. Should be 2-0 USA. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 03:45 PM) That looked like a goal. Luckally it went off the post.
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
PARISE!!!!
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
Figures Hiller plays like crap yesterday, then has his A game today.
-
Ozzie Guillen is now on twitter
QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 01:21 PM) Ozzie confirms it is him behind the feed, his sons only helped to set up the account. Yup. "After saying earlier tweets are 'my kids,' Guillen says his sons set up the account, tweets are his and that he's not making money off this." http://twitter.com/MDGonzales
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:06 AM) Yeah, I thought the same thing. I guess maybe because Slav sounds like Slov? Exactly. USA plays Switzerland in about 15 minutes FYI. Game is on actual NBC.
-
HRs, RBIs, SBs, etc.
AVG - Pierre - .299 HR - Quentin - 36 (yes he will be healthy) RBI - Quentin - 118 (KW gets a bat by the deadline helping CQ in that department) SB - Pierre - 47 2B - Beckham - 42 (Rios, Teahen close 2nd around 40) 3B - Pierre - 7 (Rios #2 with 5) BB - Quentin - 87 HBP - Quentin - 27 H - Pierre - 201 (assuming he gets his usual 700+ PA) Wins - Peavy - 19 K's - Peavy - 197 IP - Buehrle - 224.1 Starter ERA - Peavy - 2.94 Reliever ERA - Thornton - 2.27 Saves - Jenks - 42
-
Your 2010 White Sox Lineup
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 12:26 PM) 2B Beckham SS Ramirez CF Harnden DH Quentin 1B Konerko 3B Teahen C Pierzynski RF Rios LF Pierre If wishes really do come true when you blow out the candles, anyway. If only we did have the great Steven Harnden. What I think the lineup will be.. 1. Pierre 2. Alexei 3. Quentin 4. Kong 5. AJ (ugh Ozzie..) 6. Beckham (Ozzie said he wants him lower since the winter) 7. Rios 8. Teahen 9. Kotsay/Jones What I personally like.. 1. Pierre 2. Alexei/Rios 3. Beckham 4. Quentin 5. Kong 6. Teahen 7. Rios/Alexei 8. AJ 9. Kotsay/Jones or... 1. Pierre 2. Beckham 3. Quentin 4. Kong 5. Teahen 6. Rios 7. AJ 8. Alexei 9. Kotsay/Jones And I'll fill out the rest.. Bench -- Castro © Vizquel (2B/SS/3B) Kotsay/Jones (whoever isn't playing that day) Nix (2B[w00t!]/SS[ugh]/3B[ugh]/LF[ugh]) 1. Buehrle 2. Peavy 3. Danks 4. Floyd 5. Garcia CL-Jenks SU-Thornton SU-Putz MR-Pena MR-Linebrink MR/LOOGY- R. Williams (ugh.. though he aint that bad as a loogy) LR-Santos (politics wins out)
-
Your 2010 White Sox Lineup
From browsing through the past threads, we have a thread like this every year here. Some earlier (last year it was Feb. 1st) some later (couple years ago March 22nd) so I figured this is a good date to do it, since we don't have one. Unless KW brings in another bat before the season, this will be the team we see opening day. This year might be the least amount of holes/guessing I think I've ever seen here, but there are still unknowns (DH still, though Ozzie said Kotsay-RH Jones-LH and the long man/possible 12 man pitchers etc..) Have fun making your lineups. I'll post mine a bit later. I'm sure there will be the usual AL prediction/breakout player thread(s) soon as well.
-
Olympics: Vancouver 2010 OFFICIAL THREAD
Slovakia wins (Slavko is happy) but what an effort by Norway. Very classy of the fans to give them a standing ovation after that game.
-
2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training
:lolhitting For a guy who has not played a single game for us, Teahen is quickly becomming one of my favorite sox players already.