Everything posted by Balta1701
-
Game Thread
E-Becks
-
The Democrat Thread
QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:14 PM) Those documents didn't prove or disprove anything. Status quo remains. Proved 1 thing...they didn't contain the proof Dick Cheney said they contained.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
BTW, Matt Stafford got $42 million guaranteed.
-
White Sox Weekend: Officially Un-Rootable
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:54 PM) Like I've said, it's an overall team mentality which needs to be broken by shaking something up big time. Bringing in: Jake Peavy, Alex Rios, Scott Podsednik, Gordon Beckham, Castro, demoting Contreras, Fields, Lillibridge to AAA, these things don't work as big enough shakeups? Basically, beyond that you're firing the whole team.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:38 PM) libraries are cool places to kill time Might be better places around for that though.
-
Really interesting study on how we support our false beliefs
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:38 PM) I don't have any cites to back this up but this seems like false nostalgia to me. We may be bombarded with more jingoism and polemics these days, but I don't know that we thought better in the past. Andrew Jackson's wife is a pipe smoking woman of ill repute.
-
Contreras to pen; Peavy to start Saturday
QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:30 PM) I dunno - he's either lights out or just not - and that gets really hard out of the pen. Which Count do you get? Would you trust that in the playoffs if we got there? For one inning...yeah. Coming in with runners on base? No. For a couple extra innings under pressure? Yeah. He's been able to get through a couple innings each of his last few outings before imploding. Until he proves that he can't do it, let's try it.
-
The Democrat Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:44 AM) Some of the memos that earlier this year Dick Cheney claimed would prove that beating and drowning prisoners to death "worked" were released yesterday. Dick Cheney's statement on those memos is absolute beauty. I no longer ever want to hear anyone tell me how important beating the hell out of prisoners for information is. Suddenly all the defenses about how the torture provided vital information is gone. Now it's the deliberately obscuring statement that the people we tortured provided all the information. Of course they did, we tortured the ones with the information, that doesn't mean the torture had anything to do with it. But alas, it's of course going to be enough to punk CNN.
-
Marvin Harrison to the Bears?
QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:14 PM) Doesn't Harrison have a pretty large reputation of being a loner and not having very my friends on teams he plays for? If Harrison didn't have a bad rep I'm convinced he'd have been signed by at least 5 teams by now. There's a lot going on under the surface with him that most teams aren't talking about.
-
Arizona Fall League
QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:42 PM) I think it's a wasted space personally. His big 2008 season was only big in regards to his great ERA, which isn't a good statistic for projecting a prospect, his K rate and K/BB rates were not good and I don't think Cassel has any Major League potential. Just wait until the person in front of him gets hurt. He'll step up big time and will wind up being K.C.'s #1 starter within a season.
-
Getz Begins Rehab Assignment on Wed
QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:12 PM) What has Nix done the last week or two to convince you he should keep starting when Getz is healthy? .777 OPS in August.
-
The Republican Thread
The top fundraiser for Hillary Clinton's 2008 Presidential Campaign has been indicted for orchestrating a $74 million fraud of Citigroup.
-
Contreras to pen; Peavy to start Saturday
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:25 PM) Perhaps if I was Peavy, I'd be looking at Contreras being released and thinking, I better be very certain I am ready to start or they may throw me under the bus. And both ideals can be achieved by sending him to the bullpen and allowing him to finish out the contract. No one is getting thrown under the bus with $60 million or so left on their deal.
-
White Sox Weekend: Officially Un-Rootable
You know what drives me crazy? How much different is this team from the one we had on June 1? Rios, Beckham, hopefully Peavy soon, Floyd out of his slump, Podsednik's magical youth potions, the Pena deal, TCQ back and hitting with some power. On June 1, we were 25-25 and 3.5 games back. We've added all those guys, gotten rid of chaff like Colon, Lillibridge, etc., and we're now 1 game above .500 and still 3.5 games back. WTF is with that?
-
Car Rebates / From Cash for Clunkers
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:59 PM) But when it is the car dealer offering $4,500 incentives to buyers, we yawn and walk away. Perhaps we found something the government is better at than private industry Because everyone knows those "Incentives" are things that are available almost any time. Or at least something very close to them.
-
Car Rebates / From Cash for Clunkers
QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:48 PM) The cash for clunkers was stimulus. But I betcha that the advertising dollars came from the original "bail out" money, or TARP. I'd rather have it come from the TARP funds than the stimulus funds anyway.
-
Car Rebates / From Cash for Clunkers
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:22 PM) I was just thinking, car dealers and manufacturers often have rebates equaling the Cash for Clunkers program. Why are those not as successful? I think the answer is this...regardless of the sticker price, there's always some price level that an auto manufacturer is looking to get at a particular time on a particular vehicle. If you're willing to put in the negotiating effort/time, you can get in that price area. Here, you were still able to get in to that price area, but you got an extra couple thousand dollars from the government on top of that for getting an older car off of the road. Thus, I think you could actually undercut the price you'd pay, for example, if you went shopping today.
-
Car Rebates / From Cash for Clunkers
QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:34 PM) Well, wait, I need to clarify I guess. $4500 for clinkers - that's a trade in. You're not going to get that for a typical car. That's why. Plus it was promoted with TARP money - yes even the advertisements. I thought it was stimulus money, not TARP money?
-
Johan out for season
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:24 PM) Sometimes I wonder if there is something more at work here than bad luck. Poor training, poor field conditions, schedules, etc./ I think that there's something to how some of these really nasty breaking pitches are thrown these days that is putting a little extra stress on some elbows (Sliders and those really hard changeups, for example)
-
The Democrat Thread
Jayson Nix goes all birther on the the world's best known Sox fan.
-
White Sox Launch 'Rookies' Site
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:18 PM) Getz: 5. Which current White Sox player would make the best President of the United States? Alexei Ramirez QUOTE (slayingem @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:14 PM) LOL at Jayson Nix 6. If you could travel anywhere outside the country where would it be? Hawaii There is so a combination joke here that will wind this up in the Filibuster so fast...
-
Swine Flu Update
QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:13 PM) come on Kap, we're in Texas, it's all about the beef That's the only reason you haven't been dinner yet.
-
Johan out for season
Could have been worse.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:54 PM) Eli Manning is being paid more than Rivers, and Eli Manning is, in my mind, a far inferior QB. But...he has a ring, and he's quite simply more marketable because of his name and the city where he plays.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Definitely.