Everything posted by Balta1701
-
McCain McCamp: Families are off Limits
QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 28, 2008 -> 12:49 PM) I feel so bad for Levi. So, at least at some level, um, I think he dug his own grave there.
-
Tribe @ Sox, 09/27, 6:05PM, CSN
Who is closing for the Indians these days?
-
The Democrat Thread
QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 04:49 PM) Well, CSPN re-aired an Alaskan debate recently. I watched it for a while. She did a pretty good job. But there wasnt much "substance" in the debate because there isnt much "substance" in Alaska. I think on a national stage talking about the complexities of the economy and foreign policy, she wont stand a chance against Biden. She'll have mostly staged answers with vague references to reform and bridges to no where. Well, the worry here for our side is frankly the "Soft bigotry of low expectations". Right now, after her performance against Couric and Gibson, if she comes out and speaks in clear, coherent, complete sentences, she'd outperform expectations by a lot and that would count as a positive for her. Quite literally, at this point, most people wouldn't be surprised if half her answers were total gibberish. That's an advantage for her because if she can be better than that, she can pull together some positive press. The question is...can she actually do better than how she's done the last couple times out, which have been unmitigated disasters?
-
The Democrat Thread
QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 05:38 PM) Raising Expectations: Palin is a "terrific debater" And based on him saying that with a straight face, I conclude "David Plouffe is a terrific liar".
-
Tribe @ Sox, 09/27, 6:05PM, CSN
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 05:25 PM) I'm clean 99% of the time, but there is no way I am not cussing. The Sox have driven me to booze today and I'm having a hissy fit every night now that the White Sox are the biggest pieces of pussy ass s***s ever. Man I'm glad I just decided to like tune the last 2-3 days out.
-
2008 General Election Discussion Thread
That's Stewart and Colbert on the current EW cover.
-
$700 Billion Bailout
QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 02:12 PM) fine with me. no bailout. I'd just like to point out...turns out that even Mr. G here and I can agree that this is a bad idea. Woot!
-
$700 Billion Bailout
QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 27, 2008 -> 02:02 PM) ok screw this bailout. the Dems are insisting that their corrupt political organizations like ACORN are getting money from the bailout. no deal. If corrupt organizations like every bank on Wall Street that helped us get in to this mess can get a piece of it, then why not every corrupt organization in the country?
-
Paul Newman
"Oh no the corn! Paul Newman's gonna have my legs!" - Simpsons quote.
-
It's Debatin' Time!
QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 07:41 PM) Can we all agree that after every debate a massive bomb should be dropped on the spin room? I hate the spin room. We'd be better off without it. I'd just like to add...I didn't watch more than a couple seconds of the debate coverage or debate last night. Between the fact that I'm sick, the fact that my department had an event last night...and the way the press has "Interpreted" debates in the past, I just didn't feel up to it. I flipped on CNN for a minute or two just to see if anything truly extraordinary had happened, and spent the rest of the night watching stuff I'd DVR'd. Does that make me a bad political junky?
-
The Economy, stupid
So, aside from just saying "This is a horrible idea", I'd love to hear a better explanation. That type of tax seems like it would provide a strong incentive towards long-term stock investing, while providing a huge disincentive to attempt things like day trading and all of these currency swaps that have gotten us in to this trillion dollar hole. Here's an argument as to why it would work, I'm actually interested in hearing the response as to why it's a particularly bad tax proposal and specifically why it would be worse than other methods of raising similar amounts of revenue.
- New Game
-
The Republican Thread
So, FYI, if you think that the oil shale deposits in the western U.S. are going to be the answer to our energy problems...I have the approaches to a yet-to-be-built bridge in Alaska to sell you.
-
These two things have to be said
QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 12:02 PM) So I guess the question remains, if what we did in 2005 worked for us so well, why has both Ozzie and the team in general moved away from that approach? Because we haven't been able to duplicate the 2005 pitching performances.
-
SI: Sox talking about extension for Kenny Williams
I'll let others do the commentary on this one.
-
2008 General Election Discussion Thread
QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 01:53 PM) Yeah... what the national polls do tell us is that the election is still pretty volatile and unsettled. However, this makes me wonder though, it seems like there is about 15% of the population that changes their minds every 2 weeks just to f*** with the polls. So, FWIW, all 4 tracking polls out there had good Obama samples yesterday. Which either says that a few people weren't thrilled with McCain's stunt or that you can't take anything from one day's polling so wait until after the debates.
-
Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:38 AM) I'd buy on Bulger too. The one problem with him though is he's proven he can look awful if he has a bad group of players around him, and as long as Jerry Angelo runs the team, you KNOW that Bulger will have a group of bad players around him. The only exception to that of course is Matt Forte, but Bulger does have Stephen Jackson in St. Louis too. Bulger's also been playing with a very weak defense the last couple years. At least on paper that's not true of the Bears...well at least until the 4th quarter.
-
Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 10:36 AM) I'd buy on Bulger. Anything but a first rounder and I'd make that move if I were the Bears. Do they have the cap space for his contract? Can the Rams move it without a gigantic cap hit?
-
The Republican Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 09:46 AM) Why not just put "McCain Supports Disco!" up there while we're at it? Because that would be incorrect. We've already established that McCain is a huge ABBA fan.
-
$700 Billion Bailout
QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 07:14 AM) So someone tell me why, if the Dems have the votes in the House to pass this, and there are at least 40 Repubs in the Senate in favor, this is not already voted on and passed? Political cover, maybe? Well, for a bill like this debacle, I'd at least say political cover is important. I think I read somewhere that the Dem leadership didn't want to go forwards unless they could get roughly 100 or so Republican votes going along with theirs, so that it truly is a bipartite clusterf*ck. They're not stupid, like 60-70% of Americans say "No thanks" to this mess as written. If they're going to pass it, they're only going to pass it in a way that the Republicans can't attack them for it on the campaign trail.
-
The Economy, stupid
Washington Mutual officially falls. Assets sold to JPMorgan after the FDIC stepped in and somehow enabled things...supposedly this will happen without having to deplete the FDIC's assets, which WaMu would have done had there not been a buyer.
-
**White Sox vs. Twins 9/25/08 Thread**
QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 05:42 PM) I'm surprised they don't just walk Griffey since they've been going around him anyway. Clearly they don't trust their guys pitching with the bases loaded, esp. Guerrier.
-
**White Sox vs. Twins 9/25/08 Thread**
Come on Jimbo, weak RHP, this is who we have you to kill.
-
$700 Billion Bailout
Some rumor of what McCain was pushing for... Seriously John, keep pushing that. I agree with you 100%, too much regulation is the problem!
-
**White Sox vs. Twins 9/25/08 Thread**
Guerrier is now in. If Wise can't get this to 7...