Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Gavin Floyd?
QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 08:38 AM) I don't understand. You won't change your mind because an obstinate, arrogant GM won't admit he was wrong about a stiff he picked up in a trade? I hope Gavin Floyd makes me look bad. Up to now he makes Jaime Navarro look like a Cy Young pitcher. In the meantime, any other pitcher with Floyd's track record would have been dumped a long time ago. What a train wreck of a season this has become. My mind doesn't matter. I am not the general manager of the Chicago White Sox. Kenny Williams mind is made up, and that is all that matters.
-
Charlie Haeger Sent Down
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 07:46 AM) Confirmed my suspicion. Here is the quote, in proper context: Link to article. Haeger was NOT talking about the demotion, he was talking about the ejection. Yeah, that was a Jay Mariotti job of taking something out of context. He was talking about getting ejected for "throwing at someone" with a 69 mph knuckleball, and I have to agree with him.
-
White Sox Winner!
f*** Detroit. If we can't win, I'd love to spoil their season. Great effort by Buehrle and the offense.
-
Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation
QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:41 PM) Tis part of growing up as a pitcher. He's still only 22 and iirc he basically skipped aaa. Hopefully our fans don't try to run him out the door anytime soon. I'm not enamored by his stuff but he should be a pretty solid pitcher for us for the next 5 years. EDIT: Looks like I remembered incorrectly. It is a part of the pitching maturation process. Hopefully he sits around Jon and Mark and listens A LOT.
-
Next to #300...
QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:35 PM) Am I the only one who finds it interesting that arguably two of the most dominant pitchers of the era -- Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson -- barely factor into this discussion? Johnson has 284 wins, but he's been on the DL this season and is 43 years old (will be 44 by season's end). Randy Johnson will have to pitch two more years to make it, and it doesn't sound like that will happen. Pedro doesn't have a chance, his body won't let him.
-
I-35W Bridge Collapses into Mississippi River in Minneapolis
The authorities are also saying they don't think it was terrorism, if anyone was wondering. They also made it sounds like they expect more fatalities to be discovered as the night goes on.
-
Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:35 PM) I wouldn't mind a DL stint for Danks just to give him a rest. I don't think rest is his problem. He has taken to nibbling at the corners, and working from behind because of it. Any major leaguer will kill a pitch when he knows what is coming.
-
O's pick up G-MO
Its pretty bad when Cole Armstrong passes you on the depth chart... I wonder who Molina pissed off?
-
A hypthetical if...
I think the Sox would be interested, I just don't know if they could deal the contracts to free up the cash.
-
2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread
It has to be Haegar to get sent down with both Floyd and Contreras on this roster. Chuck hasn't even looked effective so far.
-
I-35W Bridge Collapses into Mississippi River in Minneapolis
So far there are only 3 people being reported as having died in this accident. It is a miracle if this remains the case. The devistation is just mind-numbing.
-
Gavin Floyd?
QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:43 AM) Please tell me that you've changed your mind about that. Nope. Kenny Williams has been trying all year to get Floyd into the rotation.
-
Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM) And whether we like it or not, if somehow he could string a few good starts together and Coop could genuinely help him, he would make this team an awful lot better next year (because it would give KW the ability to move a starter and still have a full rotation) Some guys have the best arms in the world, but take longer to get the mental aspect. Heck, how bad would Kenny Williams be hated if Jon Garland and Javy Vazquez were putting up big numbers after we dumped them at their lowest points of their careers?
-
Next to #300...
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:58 PM) People used to say that in the eighties. "No more!" It's definitely going to happen again sometime somewhere. # of starts per year is down # of innings pitched by starters is down Managers are more likely to go to their bullpens earlier Most players don't stick around as long as they used to, because they can retire earlier Way more injuries, DL trips, surgery's etc for starters It is just getting harder and harders statistically for pitchers to win this many games, and it is happening less and less. Heck if you want to talk about the 80s, look at how far the number of IP and starts have gone down just since then, even with still having 5 man rotations.
-
Santana Questions His Future with Twins
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:59 PM) To be fair, he makes a lot of teams look bad, but I know I'm not the only one who gets the impression that we mail it in or roll over and die everytime we face him. Its a bias thing, because we see him play against us all of the time. A lot of really good teams look really bad against the guy. If you got to see it 5 times a year, it could easily be taken as mailing it in against him.
-
DEM Primaries/Candidates thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2007 -> 12:19 PM) I think that was exactly my point...that keeping the electoral college around vastly increases the likelihood that an error in counting in 1 state can have a major impact at the national level, so the thing you'd want to do to prevent that is make the pool as large as possible. When you sub-select into 50 groups smaller groups, each with a certian margin of error, it's much more likely that one of those states will simply wind up being wrong than it is the full national vote. So what do you think of the plan being floated in California to change the way that their electoral votes are awarded, esentially to award one vote per district winner, instead of winner take all in that state?
-
Next to #300...
I am going to say that Tom Glavine is the last pitcher to win 300 games.
-
Santana Questions His Future with Twins
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:45 PM) I don't care if we face him. I prefer that we do, because I like to watch the best and I love it when my favorite team beats the best. And in my perfect world, we'd stop conceding games to him and just f***ing hit. I don't think we "concede" anything to Santana. The guy is one of the best pitchers in the game. He makes a lot of teams look bad.
-
Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation
QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:43 PM) "Hey, give the young guys a chance, let's see what they've got." In all seriousness, that's about how I feel about it. We committed a lot to get this kid, so we might as well see what he is made of. No time like now, when the games really don't matter.
-
Santana Questions His Future with Twins
Gosh would it be nice for Johan to leave the AL...
-
Kris Honel Retired?
That's too bad. The kid was just never the same after the injuries.
-
I-35W Bridge Collapses into Mississippi River in Minneapolis
The footage is just awe-striking. You can hardly believe it is real. It is a horrible, horrible tragedy. for everyone involved, because they need it.
-
Open roster spots
My speculation is that the Sox are opening up spots for the inevitable waiver plays during the next month. Any opinions yeah or no?
-
EPA approves BP's new pollution dumping
I have a thread about it, complete with a bunch of news articles and local reactions. There is also a local Indiana list of politicians if you guys want to rant and b**** at someone in Indiana for this. http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=644
-
sox can still trade jose
So we yank Jose from the rotation, who takes his place? Chuck Haegar? Gavin Floyd... Ugh.