Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. Hal: That is just pathetic and sad, and it completely misses the whole spirit of what is going on. The whole point is supposed to be to get together and have some fun. You work your ass off annually to put this together and I know how much we all appreciate it. Let me promise you that no one from here is complaining about something as miniscule as what the event is called. For as much work as you do on it, you could call it Hal-Fest, and I would still be there, and have just as much fun. I am really sorry that you and the Sox have had to listen to that. If you need any help with this, just let me know.
  2. QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:25 PM) May I suggest if you're having trouble on the phone with the CPD somebody going to the office in person? Sometimes you can't hack through the bureaucracy on the phone and in person you'll have more luck. If this is a downtown thing (the office) I'd be willing to give it a crack. Let me know. the office I need to talk to is at 541 North Hendricks. I will give it another chance or two over the phone as I have a couple of questions I need to ask, but thanks for the offer. I am really excited about this, as if this works out, it will be a really awesome event.
  3. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 02:16 PM) I disagree. I think that there actually is something of a center in American politics; in almost every issue, you can find one side, or another, or a balance of the two, where a huge majority of Americans will agree with you. The problem is...the very vocal people have a habit of not liking those positions. For example; on Iraq, there is strong support on the part of a huge majority of the American people for beginning to draw down American troops very soon and having some sort of deadline within a year or two where the majority are out. On abortion, the "Safe, legal, and rare" setup seems to poll very strongly; most people don't want it banned, but want it to be as rare as possible. On taxes, in general, most Americans think that the government wastes too much money and is too corrupt. And so on. So in other words, if you were to find the exact median voter on an issue, he or she would fall somehwere on the spectrum, but the issue winds up being that the media and politicians often refuse to acknowledge those majorities. There is a distinction you are missing there. When I said politics, I meant our politicians. There is no doubt there by its very nature, the general public is going to be centrist. But when it comes to politicians, there is no middle ground, you have to be in one camp or the other, or you are out.
  4. "The Center" doesn't exsist in American politics anymore. To get anywhere today you have to be in line with one party or another, or risk alienating them both, and being left out in the cold.
  5. It bothers me when the change in thinking is done simply because they other side changed their minds.
  6. QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 01:24 PM) You guys talking about playing right there in Armour Square Park? That's what I am going to try for. I just tried getting ahold of the Parks district to ask about, and spent 15 minutes on hold before I had to go back to work...
  7. QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 12:51 PM) I couldn't stand them at first. I couldn't figure it out. Then, I ran out of "my books" (Political, History, Non-Fiction) and took the first book on the train ride with me - my wife has them all. I was hooked. I couldn't put it down. Usually I only read on the train. I read the Harry Potters every chance I got. It kinda made me sick to live with myself. I mean, how could I actually enjoy this fiction crap? So, yes, I'm excited! Its better than your real life?
  8. QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 12:06 PM) Knight is just mad that hes in Indiana and therefore dq'ed. Where as me a Chicago native, and of course the best White Sox fan on the planet will be able to enter. You, my friend, are an anti-regionite.
  9. FYI, I split out all of the excess stuff that was in here. If it doesn't involve this thread, please keep it to PMs. To summarize, we'd love to hear from people who have interest in the softball game, and/or feel free to click the link provided by Hal to join us for the patio party. You don't have to participate in both events if you do not wish to do so. Also you would not need to be present for the softball game in order to make a donation to the charity referenced in my prior post. I do have to contact the city of Chicago to get costs, rules, procedures, forms, insurance info etc, and I will have a final informational post once I find out all of the answers.
  10. QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:58 AM) I see NOTHING wrong with a product that gets millions and millions of kids to read books. I think it's great!!! Exactly.
  11. They elected Ventura, why not?
  12. New poll... Should the Super Bowl be a home game, or at a nuetral site? http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=953
  13. So I guess there is one thing that is neat about winter on the Great Lakes, and that is the landscape that you get up at the beaches. I took some cool pics a few days ago, and here are the highlights of what I got. Let me tell you one thing, and that was it was really F'ing cold up there. It was about 10 degrees, plus the winds were at about 25 mph due north off of the lake. I posted them on my former school board campaign site, now piddly little Michigan City message board. Check them out if you like. http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....dpost&p=384
  14. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 07:55 AM) The bankruptcy laws are still too lenient, that's why. As are the pension funding laws... You don't have to offer a pension, but if you make that promise, you need to pay for it.
  15. QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 06:40 PM) How about no? Then how about you and your frosty testies keep quiet
  16. Yeah, the glitch on my end is I have to get details from the Chicago Parks Department about getting a field arranged on that date, and finding out what costs are associated with that. We anticipate having a great time, and supporting a worthwhile cause, which we are 99% sure will be Windy City Sox fans and Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities. We are also hoping to make this an annual evento both have a great time together as Sox fans, and to also help those who are a lot less fortunate than us. Please mark this date on your calendars, and even if you cannot make it to play, watch, or just take in a Sox game, and be willing to help us make a nice donation to some people who can really use it.
  17. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 02:32 PM) That's what Mack is for - LF. If you really need a righty bat here and there, then go with Ozuna as a PH. I think we are really reaching if our concern is "righty backup outfielder". That's way, way down the list of concerns, behind things like starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching, Juan Uribe, leadoff hitter, CF situation, defense in general, Ozzie's managing, injuries, young bullpen, and a few dozen other things. Good post. Its called missing the forest for the trees. In the quest to be the most ultimate fan ever, sometimes people get too caught up on minute details, and miss the big picture. The Sox aren't going to sink or swim based on who their 4th/5th OFers are, their back up catcher is, or anything like that. 2007 is all about the pitching that the White Sox get. The rest is just window dressing.
  18. Pregnancy I could understand the late call for. It is an incredible excitment, no matter what number kid that it is.
  19. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 01:48 PM) It's a year out. Hell its a year and a half out, but the hackjob has already begun.
  20. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 01:39 PM) Stupid me, I don't think that hurts him. The way that it is playing out so far in the media will hurt him. They are making him seem like somekind of 1950's hick who is just now discovering that *gasp* black people can be smart AND clean, all at the sametime!
  21. Biden didn't have a chance anyway, and the only chance he did have was to bring down the other canditates. He is so meaningless it is pathetic.
  22. I'd like to welcome somemore members to the "surge" flip-flops club.
  23. QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 12:53 PM) Technically not a dictator as he was elected and does not have absolute power in Venezuala. . If in 6 years he is not re-elected but remains in power he will "officially" be a dictator. With the power to rule by decree, you might as well call him a dictator. He answers to no one now.
  24. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 08:23 AM) Pay-Go means you need to fund everything you pass, so that you don't incur debt. Minimum wage law does not incur debt for the government. It doesn't incur debt directly whatsoever - though it does have a financial impact on some businesses. In any case, that was a minor part of the point I was making. I agree that every law's impact on the finances of taxpaying individuals or businesses should be looked at in determining whether or not its a positive outcome overall. To me, considering the wage hasn't gone up in a decade and at 40 hr a week is well below the poverty line, I am convinced that a significant boost along with a permanent COLA has more positive impact than negative. Lower earning, through higher wages, means less paid in taxes, which means less revenue for the government. It does cause debt.
  25. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 08:07 AM) Pay-Go is targeted at in-unit funding, which in this case, is government funding. That is different than costs to business due to legislation. I think you make a really important point though, and I agree that it should always be considered - any law or act put in place by the government has a cost to someone (with few exceptions), and those costs should always be part of the equation. Its more than just a nice principle - some might even say its a natural extension of the takings clause of the 5th amendment. If the government taketh away, they need to compensate the person from whom they took. That cannot be extended infinitely of course, but where is the line? Some people will feel that an increase in minimum wage is over that line. Others do not. That right there should be the discourse - how far is too far for unfunded mandates, and when do laws need to be passed for the betterment of society, even at the cost of the consumer or a business? Why is it different based on who the initial payee is? When it comes down to it, its businesses paying the costs initially, through an unfunded mandate, and in the other case, taxpayers are paying for it, which is usually the same people in the long run.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.