Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Congressman quits over sexual harrassment
I am glad this came out before he was reelected.
-
Welcome to my campaign for world domination
QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 02:21 PM) So, what type of kickbacks are you offering to your supporters? ixnay aboutway ethay ickbackskay...
-
Welcome to my campaign for world domination
QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 02:00 PM) Good luck with the campaign Mike! As for the website, I already know of one bug with the Firefox browser on the "Kids must be lifelong learners page" where the text spills out of the table for some reason. But if you guys find anything else, feel free to post it. And thanks to you and Slav for doing the legwork on building the site. You guys did an awesome job, and the site wouldn't be there without you. I owe both of you tons.
-
Welcome to my campaign for world domination
Well as I have stated before, I decided to take the plunge and see if the political world could handle me, or at least tolerate me. I am running for a seat on the school board in my hometown and wanted to share my freshly minted website with the general populous here at Soxtalk. Please feel free to read, comment, argue, etc. As at least the regulars here know, I love to debate and support my point of view, while learning from others, so feel free to let me know how you feel. The site has a couple more tweeks that are going to be done, such as adding a picture of yours truely, and trying to add an interactive section to allow more immediate feedback from viewers. And now for the shill part, if you feel so moved, there is a section for donations to aid in the campaign. Its only a school board race, so I am not asking for an arm and a leg, but if you have something you would like to give to help out, it would be awesome, and well appreciated. Its not going to be anything fancy, so funds would go towards thing like signs, flyers, and potential commerical time on local cable access TV or local radio. Thanks in advance for everything, even if it is just offering a point of view on my campaign platforms or website. Mike aka Southsider http://citybythelake.org
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 12:13 PM) I'm confused, are you being sarcastic? You don't agree with him? From his speech it seems some of the 'decades of research' have been proven false. Read my post right above yours...
-
The Office
QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 12:10 PM) yeah i remember that after i posted, he got some giant account or something right? I was trying not to say that because one of the people posting in here hadn't seen the episode yet
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 12:06 PM) So you have a problem with me agreeing with the scientists they interviewed, and you respond by quoting a guy who is disagreeing with scientists (on a completely different topic as well.) I don't follow you at all. I think Global Warming exists, but it's not as extreme as people think and won't have that much of an effect as some people are prediciting? Weren't there scientists back in the 1970's saying global warming would lead to an ice age? But now global warming wll lead us to burning to death? I was trying to make my point by being a little absurd... I picked out one guy who didn't believe conventional wisdom and decades of research to prove that pretty any that opinion is going to have people who have "proof" that everyone else is wrong. Heck there is still a flat earth society in exsistance who believe all of the lunar landings are faked and have "proof" to back them up. Personally I would tend to side with the vast majority of science and research on a project vs someone Penn and Teller dug up for ratings.
-
Bob Woodward's "State of Denial"
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 11:04 AM) Absolutely. I think I said the same thing a couple weeks ago when BushCo ratcheted up the war drums. Absolutely. I just wanted to make sure someone noted the other side of this... as usual, it was me.
-
Would you trade BMac for Carl Crawford?
QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 02:02 AM) So are they going to pencil Upton into the DH role for the next 5 years? Judging by his error numbers at 3B and SS, that might be the place for him anyway.
-
Bob Woodward's "State of Denial"
So lets see, a book attacking Bush, acusations of price fixing at the pump, Clinton/Gore on the warpath... Yup it must be election time.
-
The Office
QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 09:03 AM) yeah it seems like everytime you think, wow Michael is a complete ass and worthless at his job, they throw him a bone. A couple off the top of my head: 1) the halloween episode, where theyshow him getting really excited about giving kids some trick or treat candy. 2) after he shows his ridiculous video at a presentation, he still has the reports to discuss (actually stole this one from one of the commentary tracks on the dvd) As far as jim goes, there is no way that he is leaving the show. SPOILERS I'm pretty sure there is alot of rumors going around that both of those branches will be merging together later on in the show, so that will cover that. They throw him a pretty big bone in this episode too.
-
The Office
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 09:30 AM) I only watched a couple bits of Scrubs the first season, and it did nothing for me. I was asking my wife if she has given it another chance yet (she's a nurse in a hospital and LOVES medical shows) and she said "not yet". I'm guessing I should? On Earl, I love Joy. She's so trashy. I also love Crabman. I agree about wishing for Roy and Pam to get back together. I liked the way they showed Roy in the season premier, obviously destroyed that Pam dumped him. Scrubs is quirky. The characters are so exagerated that they are fun. I really like the show a lot, and if you want to try it out, they are now running reruns on both UPN and Comedy Central, I believe at 6pm Chicago time.
-
The Office
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 08:39 AM) Then maybe they are learning how to use his character. I have never seen him be even close to likable yet. I'm looking forward to it though. It also might be that it follows Earl, and Earl is one of the best, IMO. That show is perfect in how it actually makes unlikable people comepletely likable. Yeah its funny, the only person you really don't like in that show is Joy, and every once in a while you can even like her. Earl is a great show to have backed up against the office. I really wish they would have figured out how to get Scrubs in that set as well.
-
The Office
QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 08:25 AM) Still like the UK version better. I don't like Michael and don't believe for a second a person like that would be allowed to remain in his position, but I love the rest of the cast. I agree about Dwight. Whereas Garreth was perfect in the UK version, Dwight is just as perfect in the US version. I recorded last nights and will be watching it tonight. That's the thing about him, everytime you think he is worthless, he makes a big splash... You'll see what I am talking about for example when you see last nights episode. (I don't want to spoil it)
-
music
QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 29, 2006 -> 04:24 AM) Wierd Al anybody? Anybody? My college radio show was call the "Weird Al Wanna Be's"
-
The Office
I LOVE the Office. The show is so much fun.
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 02:24 PM) I'm basing my opinion from Penn and Teller:Bulls*** (can't find the episode on google video now) where the first major study was thrown out by the courts because they determined the scientists pre-determined the results and cherry picked numbers to support their case. Groups still refer to this study and increase the number to scare people and link any deaths in a smoking household to second hand smoke. Hey that's cool. I found this one guy, who even better than a judge is a senator, who doesn't believe in global warming so we can just throw out all of the decades of research and scientists who say otherwise! http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759
-
Stocks and investing thread
Damn. now 3 minutes to go and 3 points away! Its not gonna be today. They got close, traded through it for about 5 minutes and got scared. Looks like we are going to finish 10-12 points away from the ATH going into Friday's trading day. So for the 3rd straight day we have the 2nd highest closing day on the Dow Jones Industrial Average ever...
-
Stocks and investing thread
Well here we go... Its the last 20 minutes plus of the day and the Dow is sitting at about 11715, only 7 points from the all time closing record. There is a ton of resistance up there that has been built over the course of the last two days, but we keep bouncing off of the moving averages even as the bands have tightened up, so I really still think we are going to have a breakout to the upside and set a new record on the day.
-
NYC trying to ban trans fats in restaurants.
QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 02:15 PM) Second hand smoke doesn't kill. Neither does global warming...
-
4000 foreign fighters dead in Iraq
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:56 PM) Under most circumstances, I would agree. But these are not people looking just for the chance to beat up the U.S. They are also brainwashed by some crazy extremist cleric into thinking that this is an opportunity to take American lives and go to Eden after the fact. If you've ever seen some of the tapes the suicide bombers make... they believe hard. Death in this fashion is not seen as a negative - it is something to aspire to. I'm sticking with inflation. good point, I just think it would be more conducive to recruiting to be saying We have 100,000 people there and only 10 have died vs We have 10,000 people there and 4000 have died (granted I have no idea exactly what the numbers are, or how truthful their numbers are, just a theoretical for discussions sake) And it could very well be a cultural divide here that I can't get past. It wouldn't be the first time for me, and I'll admit it probably won't be the last.
-
Prison justice..
I'd be really interested to hear how exactly that happened...
-
Trade Mark Buehrle to...
QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:11 PM) Why do people want to trade Buehrle? One bad year? In which he had an extended season AND the WBC? C'mon people... He's 27. He's an innings-eater. He's a lefty. He pitches fast. He pitches to contact. He's had ONE SO-SO year. Shoot, even Randy Johnson had and ERA of 5 this year. Mark will bounce back just like the rest of the Sox. Mark didn't pitch in the WBC...
-
4000 foreign fighters dead in Iraq
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:40 PM) Given the tone of the statement, I'd say its equally likely they actually INFLATED the number. Its a recruiting thing. Remember, the ones they are recruiting will be motivated by more deaths caused by Americans, and further, seeing these "martyrs" in action will only further embolden them. I think for their purposes it would be good to inflate the number of fighters there, but to inflate the number of deaths can't be good for recruiting. Sure making it sound like there a bunch more people there fighting would help, but not more people dying IMO.
-
SpaceShipTwo unveiled
http://www.space.com/news/060828_spaceshiptwo_next.html Now if only I had $200k to get a ride on it.