Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Soxfest prices doubled this year
QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:23 PM) I'm hearing the rooms are already sold-out. Wow. That really shocks me. I guess Soxtalk is the only place that is this bitter?
-
Heart
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:40 AM) Well.. he didn't make up the stuff about personal item transport. Most of the players have confirmed car and a couple boat and motorcycle transports over the past 2 weeks. Though it's not a big deal considering the carrier REQUESTED they do so BEFORE the end of September. Ah yes, context is EVERYTHING. Glad to see the reporters can't even tell the whole story...
-
Soxfest prices doubled this year
QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 12:10 PM) Just an FYI, there's a misprint on the Sox website which says: That should read more than two(2) adults. In other words, it'll cost $299 for 4 people to stay at the hotel. THEN you get to buy weekend passes... I think the Sox are going to regret the price changes after the way this team finished this season.
-
NASA tracking "mystery object" near Atlantis shuttle
Well it turns out the worst fears were unfounded, and now the Shuttle Atlantis is safely home on the ground.
-
Best Plays/Memories from the 06 Season
definately the AJ HR against the Cubs. I had a bunch of friends and family over for a picnic/party, and the whole bunch of us went nuts.
-
Sometimes your best alliances are forged at gunpoint.
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:36 AM) That's our best alliance? The man who won't let US forces in Northern Pakistan to hunt down taliban bases and Al-Qaeda bases which are known to be there? The guy who's protecting AQ Khan? The only thing keeping Pakistan out of the Axis of Evil is that it's a nuclear state. I am sure he is just preventing the creation of more terrorists...
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:33 AM) That's not what I'm referring to. Financial resources for Iran were pretty strapped throughout a big part of the 1980s. They had few friends and little werewithal to work on the technology. In the 1980s, there wasn't a lot of interest in helping Iran go nuclear. Their big problem was that Iraq was bombing their facilities and setting them back 20-30 years. It wasn't that they weren't trying, it was that they were forced to start over. Granted no one really wanted to help them during their war with Iraq, but that still didn't change the fact that they were trying to go nuclear, if at that time for no other reason than to proabably drop it on Iraq.
-
Orioles fans walkout during game
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9676427/rss
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:36 AM) The office season premiere tonight. A group of 5 or 6 of us is going to chili's for dinner in honor of the show. Maybe I'll order an awesome blossom, extra awesome. The Gaydar scene at the end of that episode might have been the single funniest ever for the "The Office"
-
Flame Warriors
Oh man, I could have some fun with some of these with the posters we have seen over the 4 years of Soxtalk!
-
New pictures of the "face" on Mars
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14939825/
-
More Wal-Mart News
You know what will happen next, right? Now we will start to hear about the poor local pharmasists who are going to go out of business because of those low drug prices...
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 02:37 PM) I'm actually pretty excited about it. Woo! ^^^ Me too. I can't wait for that and Earl to start
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 01:51 PM) Okay, I do understand what you're saying. But I view Chavez and the Iranian president as crazies. If Merkel or Chirac or Harper called Bush the devil I would be more upset because, at some level, I have a respect for them and their points of view. But having Chavez do it, well that's sort of like getting made at the hobo on the corner who calls you a slut whenever you walk by. You may want to tell him off, but then you think about the source and, oh, right, crazy pants, so you walk on. Boy does it sound like there is a story there
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 12:47 PM) But see, there's no reason at all to do that. The fact that Bush says something or advocates some policy or believes in helping the poor does not mean that every policy Bush advocates is a terrible thing. If Bush proposed giving tax cuts to the highest earners in the US, would that mean that the Iran should immediately raise taxes on the highest wage earners in that country? If Bush says that the Iran is evil, does that mean that anyone who calls another country or leader evil is immediately like Bush?
-
Congress goes after Illegals again
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 12:05 PM) So a quick question...and it can be answered by anyone who has knowledge... Is there actually evidence that people voting who aren't actually U.S. citizens is a real problem? Is it such a severe problem that it is worth disenfranchising actual U.S. voters who don't get the message about needing a photo ID or how to get one free? From the sounds of the rhetoric of the last two President election cycles, apparently voter fraud is rampant.
-
Konerko's quote after the game yesterday
QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 11:31 AM) Im not quite sure what you mean by that .......... but I read that comment, and to me, the SOX only played 2 extra weeks. Does 2 extra weeks take that much of a toll on a team? Thats secretly why its hard to repeat? We won the WS on October 26th, which means it was more like 4 weeks. That is 4 weeks that players don't have to rest, recover, get procedures done, etc. Despite it being "only 12 games" to some, those are the 4 more intense weeks that any of those players will ever see, as they were almost all one run games, where every single pitch was a game breaking potential experience. The body takes time to recover and adjust from the grind of playing 200 plus games of baseball, when you include the preseason on top of that. Take away 20% of the typical recovery time that the players have been used to, and it makes it that much harder to recover from. The results are obvious, and you don't need to look any further than the exhaustion and nagging injuries the players are showing to see them.
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 11:25 AM) At the same time SS, you can't use history of a different regime (60s-70s) to justify your policy to a completely different regime with its own history, aims and policy. The truth is that the Iranians have offered to come to the table - and they've even offered a parallel suspension of enrichment activity apparently - during negotiations. This is 80-90% of what we want. Except we don't want the negotiations. Otherwise this would be happening already. Our offer was "end the program, then we'll talk about ending the program." Very few states dealing with a hostile actor is going to accept that offer - and there's a needless arrogance to expect a state not at imminent threat of invasion to accept that. We are posturing like a state headed to war with Iran, and that's not a good position to bargain for security. The truth is, if we were looking to be able to wage war with Tehran effectively and at minimal risk, we would give them a lot of what they ask for. Part of the stumbling block to this offer is that Iran will not give up its right to advance its nuclear technology, because it views giving up rights like that as a lessening of its sovereignty. If the US really wanted to avoid the collision course that it's on, or if it wanted to make sure that it had international help and support in a war on Tehran, it would affirm that "All states have the right to pursue "peaceful" nuclear technology to serve the needs of its people." It would also accept a parallel suspension of enrichment as a carrot to sitting down at the table. They started in the 60's and 70's and haven't quit since then. The one constant since the Revolution in '79 has been the clerics, and they sure haven't stopped the search for nuclear materials.
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:33 AM) But basically the idea that they could buy the actual bomb parts from North Korea has almost no impact on whether or not we should talk to them without them shutting down all of their enrichment programs first. If North Korea were to sell them the tens of thousands of centrifuges that they need in order to operate an enrichment cascade, it is still going to take them years to set them up and produce enough material for a bomb. The only thing North Korea could do right now to get Iran a bomb within the Bush Administration is to actually sell Iran a nuclear weapon. If they were to do that, then the "We won't talk to you unless you stop your U235 program" demand is pretty darn pointless, because they'd have gotten the bomb another way. See now I think their motives and history are of the upmost importance when dealing with a topic that has the implications that nuclear weaponry does.
-
It's OVA!
QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:13 AM) This is getting funny. In one breath you say that you aren't being condescending, and in the next you talk about growth and maturation and that I should be "ashamed when I am somewhere else in life." What you don't understand is that just because I disagree with you about the Sox and just because I feel differently about Sox losses than you do does not mean that you are a more evolved and mature person than I am. OK I wasn't going to say anything, but if you are going to cut and past to take things out of context that is just wrong. Resorting to stuff like that is pretty crappy way of making your arguements.
-
Congress goes after Illegals again
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:26 AM) Well I'll be damned. They are indeed doing what I wanted them to do with the border, more or less. yeah this was all over the Chicago news this morning, problem was that was at 4:30 am, and I forgot about it until you posted this link again
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:17 AM) I understand your concern with that completely, but I think it's probably also worth noting that according to the non-proliferation treaty, Iran is fully within its rights in developing a nuclear enrichment program for energy purposes, as long as they are open to the IAEA. Now, their openness can and certainly should be called into question, as should the existence of the program itself. However, I think it is worth noting that the U.S. is insisting as a precondition for talks Iran give up something that they have a full right to do under all international treaties. What Iran does not have a right to do is hide things from the IAEA (which they have done in the past) or enrich uranium beyond the couple percent 235 that is needed for energy generation. Thus far, there is still no evidence at all that they've done the 2nd step (And of course, even if they were to start taking the 2nd step, it would take them about 10 years to build the bomb). Ah but you are missing one very key and easy step... Buying the bomb materials from someone like AQ Kahn or North Korea, and erasing a big chunk of those 10 years pretty quickly. Iran has been actively pursuing a nuclear program since at least the 1960's or 70's, and I don't know about you, but there is not a chance that I believe them when they say it is for "peaceful, civilian purposes" and it is their own actions that belie that to me. If they JUST wanted civilian power, Russia offered to give it to them. Iran, under no uncertian circumstances, refused.
-
Bush's comments at UN speech
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:13 AM) Iran has been asking the U.S. repeatedly for direct talks for years. The U.S. has said they will only talk to Iran on the condition that Iran stops its uranium enrichment program in its entirety. Which I don't have a problem with at all. The entire world has tried a million different ways to fix this situation, and the only solution Iran would have is the one thing that pretty much no one else wants, and that is for Iran to be producing nuclear materials. Russia even offered to ship them the materials, let them utilize it for power purposes, and then to take it back after it had been depleted. This would solve the problem of Iran's supposed needing more power capability, and it would also satisfy those who are worried about nuclear West hating clerics. Of course this proposal went no where, which raised all kinds of red flags for me personally.
-
It's OVA!
QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:50 AM) No, it isn't that I don't understand. I just disagree. And your condescension was way out of line. Just my opinion. Funny, your anger has been out of line for months, but that's OK. And it is my OPINION, (I guess I you didn't understand that I was speaking from my perspective, thus making it my opinion and not a fact) that you have no idea what I am talking about, and that is why you are getting so angry about it. It has nothing to do with condsecension. If I thought you were that far below me, I wouldn't have wasted my time explaining myself in the first place. Growth and maturation are natural things and stages of life. There is nothing to be upset or ashamed of when you are somewhere else in life, like I said, it is what it is. Trust me, I am not claiming to know everything or be an expert on anything... but I know where I have been, and where I am at now. I know what I have seen, and I can recognized the patterns that I have seen many times before, and have no reason to believe I won't keep seeing into the future. The whole point is simple, ease up and relax. There is no point in being so bitter and angry over something that in the grand scheme of things means nothing. If you want to keep arguing and keep fighting that is fine, I can't stop you from it, but I am going to do you the favor of not returning the fire and anger anymore. Enjoy and good luck
-
It's OVA!
QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:14 AM) First, you don't know anything about what point in my life I'm at. You've read some posts of mine about the Chicago White Sox, and that's it. You think that I don't "think in terms of grey yet" because I think the Sox haven't been playing with fire or intensity this season? I think you are reaching...greatly. FWIW, I don't kick my cat when Konerko DP's. And Sox losses don't ruin my life. I recognize the importance of sports. It is just entertainment, but I care nonetheless. Again, you can't experience highs with a team if you don't also feel the lows. They go hand in hand. That is exceptionally rare for human beings. How can one be overjoyed about wins and not care much about losses? You can be whatever kind of fan you want to be. But please don't pretend for a second that your odd outlook towards the Sox is the more evolved way to be. Congrats on the superiority and condescension. You do it well. "When you grow up, you'll be a good, mature fan like me." You have a very high opinion of yourself. Like I said, you don't understand... and that's fine, it doesn't make you any less of a fan or anything. It is what it is.