Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. Awesome to hear good for MLB
  2. QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 03:39 AM) I'm sorry, but if someone did this to my family I'd be over there kicking some serious ass ... jail or no jail. Period. ^^^^ There is no way one of us would make it through the funeral. Someone would be meeting their maker...
  3. Vanilla Ice put out a remix to Ice, Ice, Baby?
  4. QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 08:00 AM) And there's a couple of rumors saying that Isiah Thomas wants Scott Skiles now to be his next head coach. And I'm sure Scott is gonna run over there in joy and sign straight away. Where did you see that at? I want to post that at the Bulls site.
  5. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 02:06 PM) Actually...last year the average American's savings rate was not 0.5%, it was -0.5%. link LOL. Even better, I hadn't seen that number since college I think, so obviously we have gotten MUCH better
  6. Just consider this your contribution to reduction of fossil fuel consumptions... And did I mention it is sunny and 65 on a beautiful spring day in Chicago? The tulips are in full bloom, as are the daffodils... Ah yes payback for all of the how beautiful in Texas posts
  7. QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 01:56 PM) $1000x12,000,000=$12,000,000,000.00 Stuff like that is why you see extended families all living together in one home. I forget where I saw the specific number, but I did a quick google and I found amounts from $10 billion annually to the NYT supposedly saying $17 billion, and BancoMex saids $16 billion. Regardless of which number you believe, its significant. No doubt they are way better savers than Americans who savings rate is something like 0.5%. Searching google further an article from the Federal Reserve bank of Dallas saids an estimated $20 billion. http://www.dallasfed.org/research/swe/2006/swe0601c.pdf
  8. QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 01:41 PM) If it is in our nation's best interest to forget their criminal history, then I agree, we should. I don't think we should spend billions of dollars to deport them, which is what our laws call for. And that is the slope we are on. Only the most extreme claim that rounding them up and deporting is the thing to do. So we start from a premise that we should ignore our law and modify it after the fact. Let's never get in this position again. I think everyone can agree on that. SS, over what time period and how did they determine that number? Was that legal and illegal Mexican nationals? Does that also include Americans living in Mexico? Like everyone here, all these numbers seem suspect to me. How much could you save on $12,000 per year income? Remember illegals shop in the same stores as you and I. If they could still save and send home even a $1000, that's pretty amazing. JimH and I just kicked around people not being able to save that without having the IRS hold it for us. Yet they are able to? They are far better money managers than most Americans. $1000x12,000,000=$12,000,000,000.00 Stuff like that is why you see extended families all living together in one home. I forget where I saw the specific number, but I did a quick google and I found amounts from $10 billion annually to the NYT supposedly saying $17 billion, and BancoMex saids $16 billion. Regardless of which number you believe, its significant. No doubt they are way better savers than Americans who savings rate is something like 0.5%.
  9. QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 01:02 PM) I've been looking but can't find any hard numbers. So I'm wondering what percentage of wages could be sent back? By the time food, raiment, and shelter is factored into a near minimum wage job, I suspect not that much can really be sent back. I can see where doing anything is going to cost money. It is cheaper to keep things the way they are, which is why for thirty years we haven't done anything. If billions are dollars are being sent back now with subminimum wage rates being earned, it makes sense to me a lot more money will be sent back with actual minimum wages being paid, right?
  10. QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:41 PM) I highly doubt taxes go down. Net and gross taxes collected would probably drop. I went through marginal tax rates earlier in the thread if you want to check up on me.
  11. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:19 PM) Well, presumably, if this was done as some sort of a "Guest worker" program, they wouldn't necessarily be winding up gathering huge amounts of support from social programs like unemployment or welfare, because they'd be "Working". And of course, on top of the inflationary pressure on the cheapest goods, there's the other side of the token that the "Guest workers" will also be purchasing additional goods, which would drive profits/job creation higher. I'm not going to mess with the second part of your post, because big picture we see pretty close to eye to eye on things here... I do want to talk about a couple of early things though. We have been bombareded with information about Wal-Mart employees who are on welfare, and they make more than minimum wage, right? I know our Wal-mart starts at about $2 an hour more than the min, so how are guys making the min going to be avoiding the same social programs as their better paid bretheran in retail? Spending will rise, but with the amount of money that is sent back to Mexico, it stands to reason that a much larger amount of dollars would be getting sent back to Mexico (meaning they won't be spent in the US), which could very well outpace the increased spending in the US when balanced out against the inflationary pressures associated with the much higher wages would create.
  12. QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:18 PM) Do you think we'd be paying less taxes if there were no illegal immigrants? If so, how much? I've already talked about this multiple times back earlier in the thread.
  13. QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:53 AM) And let's not even TOUCH Neal Cotts. Just randomly poking around, I found some of these gem quotes... I'll not post any names, but suffice to say, ROTFLMAO. "Aaron has never shown the tools to be a solid major leaguer. He has no plate discipline, little if any power, and is retchid at the plate. He should be relegated to a 4th of 5th OF spot, period. " "I like Rios better than Rowand. " "Rowand = 4th outfielder... At best. Love the guys hustle, but he blows." " Bingo! I'll take Rios over Rowand because Rios is swinging the better bat right now. Borchard can't progress fast enough now that the White Sox have a hole in CF though. " Aaron Rowand talk circa 2003. There were multiple people who wanted Armando Rios starting in CF over Aaron Rowand.
  14. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:45 AM) Estimates run from something like $200-$250 billion, over about 5 years, to round all of them up and send them off. Out of curiousity has anyone done a study for how much it would cost to add 12 million people to our social entitlement programs and the subtraction from the tax base it would result in? Not to mention adding in the lost purchasing power from the resulting wage inflation price increases for industries that take up a higher percentage of income of the poor, such as food stuffs?
  15. QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 11:14 AM) The same effect as deporting the trained, willing, workers and hoping to replace them? I don't think so. The reason illegals did not protest, is the same as why they do not report crimes against them, they do not want to be discovered and deported. In an economic sense it is pretty close actually... There will be wage inflation, bankruptcies, higher prices, farms getting shutdown, more food imports, and pretty much everything you sited in your posts. In fact it could even have the effect of having more Americans hired at these jobs if they were forced to pay legal wages for this stuff, instead of hiring illegals at illegal wages. Remember the higher the wage, the higher the labor supply willing to work at those prices. If some of these companies in these business were forced to pay the wages they should have been paying all along, some of the new supply of labor willing to work would almost definately have to be some portion of legal residents who couldn't afford to work for sub-minimum wages.
  16. QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 02:02 PM) My only question is if all these people jumping off the BA bandwagon are allowed to climb back on. He's a rookie who is replacing arguably the most beloved player on last year's WS winning team. Give him time, he will produce. s***, I should go back and dig out some of the threads from 2003 about the most beloved player and see what people have to say for themselves today. I swear everyday someone was ripping Rowand.
  17. QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 09:48 AM) These are two very different countries, with two very different concerns. We happen to need these workers, they have millions of poor people without jobs. One country has excess workers and no jobs, the other has jobs and not enough workers. It would seem obvious that both countries would have different laws regarding immigration. And there are hypocrasies in laws everywhere. Mexico will trade with Cuba, but will not allow many Cubans to imigrate. The US will not trade with Cuba, but any Cuba who touches the beach, is allowed to stay. We accept everyone from a country we consider an enemy, but want to restrict those from a partner and ally. Does that make sense? Kap, you are correct, they are illegal. The issue is, how badly do we want to punish ourselves in the process of punishing them? Shall we invest billions in rounding them all up and deporting them? After all that is the current law. Let's enforce the law. Who cares what that does to out agriculture industries, we can always buy more food from overseas. Who cares how many businesses go under, after all these people are here illegally and that's the law. Of course, we both know that will not happen. So we start with the premise we will ignore the current law and figure out what to do with all these law breakers. Why should we punish ourselves and weaken our countries security by destroying our agriculture industry? So Kap you can't have it both ways, you must be in favor of rounding them up at any cost and deporting them because " ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. " Um, I hate to break it to you, again, but passing the guest worker program will have the same effect on agricultural industries.
  18. I remember thinking at the time that after Contreras's mess in NYC that he would probably sign a decent but not top of the market deal to stay in Chicago, just because he liked it here so much, and I was really shocked when negotiations fell apart so quickly. Turns out the negotiations were missing the key person and it would have been a done deal if it were done correctly.
  19. QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 12:30 AM) Can't we just do a SoxTalk one? It seems as though anyone who wants to go from SoxTalk is forced to be among the mass WSI posters. I'm sure there would be a better turnout. The biggest problem for this site is that the vast majority of posters are from outside of the Chicago metro area. For whatever reason our demographic is hugely outside of this area, and it really makes it difficult for an outing to be anything but a weekend game in the middle of summer, which are pretty much already going to not be available this year. To be honest I don't see the stars aligning right for something like this, especially with the turnout of only 80ish people between all three sites. Its unfortunate but it sounds like a combination of negative stories that got out from last year, a bad date, and many people living too far away for anything other than a summer weekend (whether because of college, or where they are from) made this years COTC a complete bust for ticket sales. Unless ticket sales jump at the last minute, I don't see them saving a good date for us, as they probably have organizations willing to put up more than has been done here.
  20. QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 05:11 PM) Nevermind, I found it. No online shopping. What kind of store in 2006 doesn't have online shopping.. One who needs to talk to us about getting a webbased business set up... for a small fee
  21. So Vito... does he end up clipped or flipped?
  22. 2 sealed indictments have been issued so far, based mostly on IDs by the alleged victim.
  23. QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 17, 2006 -> 04:57 PM) Can't blame the Sox for the date. 2 dates were given and the WSI majority picked 5/22 for Frank's return. I'm not blaming the Sox at all...
  24. Why do I feel like I am in a hi8is drunken post???
  25. Hopefully after the series loss at KC, the intensity is a little higher than the mental mistakes that we saw last time...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.