Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Drudge Report
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 01:23 PM) If they take the stories that his site actually authors, I think it would move much further in one direction. Those were omitted for a reason. They are opinion pieces, and not meant to be fact. They are looking more at how the facts are reported, and what facts are reported.
-
Defiant Bush admits breaking law
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 02:03 PM) It won't be absolutely definitive because the WH will be able to find at least one expert willing to accept the broad war powers interpretation they are pushing. But the more recognized experts who line up to side against that interpretation, the harder it's going to be for the WH to stifle a full investigation. To be honest this needs to go to the Supreme Court to establish the consititutionality of all of this. Forget the regular courts, this needs to have a definative answer.
-
Bobcats @ bulls.
QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:26 PM) Deng out as well no? Deng is still a game time decesion according to the Trib, I don't know if that has changed this morning.
-
The "I was wrong about Grossman" thread
QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 12:25 PM) [MyCrushonRex] [KerryWood'sCareer] [JasonGage'sLoveLife] [porkchopslovelife]
-
Drudge Report
I guess this is an interesting place to mention this... UCLA did a media study on the respective news sites and networks. It is kinda interesting, but since Drudge is specifically mentioned, this study actually ranks it as Centrist. http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664
-
White Sox Tickets...
Bold prediction here... The Sox break the 3 million fan barrier for the first time in franchise history in 2006.
-
Wille Harris & Timo Perez=Gone
QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 11:43 AM) What's more tiresome is seeing every member of the team get a clever nickname like jizz or el puke or dumbasso, etc. ^^^ No joke. I am glad to see these guys go just so I don't have to listen to the over the ledge crowd complain about them... unfortunately, they will just find someone else to b**** about, just call it faith.
-
Wille Harris & Timo Perez=Gone
QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 11:26 AM) Except for the Willie lovers. Hey you leave Rex out of this
-
Thome to report with Pitcher/Catchers
QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 11:27 AM) How about a big hand for Craig Landis...Thome's agent and also, Konerko's agent. With Thome we get Konerko...with Konerko we get Thome. Ahhhh, I love agents. And Jon Garlands agent...
-
Another reason I dislike politics
As if I needed more evidence to dislike this clown, and believe in the line item veto. So senators, are you for the poor hurricane victims starving, the poor who can't afford heat, freezing, and sealing our borders against illegal aliens who are streaming into the US, or are you for murdering the enviornment for a few drops of oil?
-
Bobcats @ bulls.
According to the Trib, Okafor is out with a serious ankle twist.
-
The "I was wrong about Grossman" thread
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:24 AM) Oh and we're STILL waiting for the person to who this thread was started for to address the issue. [crickets] [tumbleweeds] [paintdries] [grassgrows] [cubsinseptember]
-
Contreras News
QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:35 AM) Daily Southtown reports that the next White Sox announcement may be Contreras' contract extension. Cowley indicated talks heated up Monday afternoon. No big surprise there... I think the Sox tried to get him on the cheap, but it didn't work. Now they are coming back with their real offer and are going to get something done quickly. With Garland obviously wanting to get the big payday, Contreras getting a deal done is vital for the Sox, and I think Contreras controlling his playing situation makes it almost as important to him. Its a marriage made on the Southside.
- For those over 30...
-
NYC = FUCKED
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 10:03 AM) The MTA has agreed to leave pension age alone as of their last offer at about midnight last night. The sticking point is regarding pension contributions. The MTA wants that tripled. The TWU doesn't. I understand that a lot of people have it worse with regard to raises, but there are reasons why people unionize, one of which is to increase their bargaining power. If they weren't union, they wouldn't have a contract at all. A conductor starting on the MTA gets approximately 42K a year if I remember correctly. Although that may seem great for a lot of people, keep in mind that its hard to find a studio apartment anywhere in NYC for under 1000 dollars a month. I live in suburban New Jersey, and find it impossible to get by on my own at under 35K a year. My rent is 900 a month for a one bedroom. And that was a great deal and took four full weeks of searching to find. I don't have any problems with them wanting more money. God knows that why I had been looking for a job for 3 years plus. Them looking for an 8% raise kinda blew me away, but looking at how quickly they came down really said that was just a negotiating ploy to me. What I do have a problem with is them going on strike. It is illegal, flat out. Its not like these guys are working for someone that doesn't really affect anyone else. When the transit workers go on strike it is the working poor who cannot get to work, not the middle class and higher who either have cars or know someone who has a car to get a ride with. There is a reason this is illegal, and it serves as a bad example for a vital group. What if the NYC police or firefighters decided they didn't like the raise they got offered and went out on strike? I know that example is a little more extreme, but the same idea. The transit workers provide a vital function to NYC and its greater metro area. As I said earlier they are estimating a net loss of nearly half a billion dollars a day by this illegal activity. Just for perspectives sake, one day of this strike would cost enough for the bridge to nowhere that everyone is so upset about in Alaska as an example of extreme waste. I don't have a problem with the workers trying to get what is best for them. Capitalism works both ways as far as I am concerned. I have a big problem with an illegal activity.
-
NYC = FUCKED
Join the rest of the world... I haven't seen more than a 3% raise since 2000. At the sametime my insurance costs have tripled. In terms of real dollars, not including inflation even, it took me until this job I just started to be making more than I was in 2000. From what I read the big sticking point with pensions was raising the age that you could collect them from 55 to 62. Also it doesn't sound like that surplus will last very long from what I was reading FWIW.
-
Another reason I dislike politics
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 09:29 AM) There was a line item veto. It was thrown out by the courts. Doesn't mean I like it... If they are going to use riders to hide things in bills, I see no reason that a line item veto shouldn't be allowed. It is the only counterbalance for such a thing. I could take a bill for giving money to blind homeless orphans to get one last Christmas presant and attach a bill for dropping anvils on puppies and your politicial choices become voting against orphans or for genocide against puppies. Its stupid.
-
NYC = FUCKED
Interesting stuff I didn't know about this... It is illegal for the NYC transit workers to strike. Also I have read that the economic fallout is estimated to be about a half a billion dollars a day, and would be borne mostly by the working poor who predominantly depend on mass transit as their only possible mode of getting to work.
-
Record number of electoral democracies, 122
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/20/0...2.8w8uaqyp.html There are now 122 electoral democracies on the planet, an all time record. In this same article the USA and France get taken to task for specific steps backwards.
-
Happy Birthday Winning Ugly
To one of the old ESPN crew Happy Birthday dude
-
When the game is off....
Music on music television? Wow I vaguely remember those days... Then again I also remember the days when you didn't need to spend millions on a video to help sell a crappy song...
-
NYC = FUCKED
Word is down here that the NYSE and AMEX may not have enough people to open on time... stay tuned.
-
Another reason I dislike politics
This would be an excellent time to mention line item veto for riders... But then again so would have the highway bill...
-
White Sox Tickets...
QUOTE(Konerko4mvp @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 06:01 PM) AT 9 PM ON THE 26TH OR 27TH????? Ignore him, he's lying.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 06:19 PM) I have no idea what you're saying. She's running for a political office. Why would I look past politics? The post you responded to was simple and straightforward, but you didn’t speak to a SINGLE point in it. As for your last personal snarky comment - I don’t know what you mean there, either. And I don’t know why you feel the need to continue to do that in every response you make to me. You’d have a stroke if I did that to you. Why don’t you quit it now? It's gone on long enough. I figured you were above politics. Usually you are the one person in there defending the little man against exploitation. It was a compliment until I discovered the truth today. And I have to laugh at you complaining about snarky comments. You're entire SLaP exsistance has been looking down at everyone else you don't agree with. There is a bit of irony when you gag on your own medicine. Maybe if you quit talking down to other people, I wouldn't feel the overbearing desire to give it right back to you. But as usual you know more than everyone so go ahead and tell me more about how I am wrong again...