Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:25 PM) Actually, Henry Hyde has announced his retirement. Duckworth's first electoral challege will be to win the Democratic nomination on March 21, 2006. She's running against Christine Cegelis, a software engineer, in that contest. Then it's on to the general election against State Senator Peter J. Roskam, a conservative Republican who is the minority caucus whip in Springfield. I'm hearing a lot of condescending knee-jerk nonsense in this thread. I'm guessing the “handicapped” part may not bother her constituents as much as it seems to bother some folks here. Hey, did those of you acting all outraged feel the same way about Bob Dole? Hmm I exepect more. I figured you would be the one to look past politics, I guess not. I'll have to remember that for your future outrages against injustice.
-
Crede and Garland to Texas?
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:13 PM) And now lets put this thread to sleep. Irony
-
Defiant Bush admits breaking law
QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:15 PM) i'd like to get past all of this partison B.S. and just like to know if people think their government leaders should be held accountable if they break the law? Because I do. I'd love to see this drug into court just for the sheer fact of establishing whether this is constitutional or not.
-
Defiant Bush admits breaking law
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:56 PM) I'm getting all Tom Clancyish now... but every single conversation that takes place anywhere on earth has the potential to be overheard. Somehow. If they are monitoring certain people that are in illegal activity, and they have to act on it before they get approval, then what? Maybe they used Echelon
-
**2005-06 High School Basketball thread**
QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 11:08 AM) Valpo is now 7-0. Oden is going down in the state finals this year. Not a chance. After seeing them play that game on ESPN, Oden has improved a ton in two years. He is really starting to play like a next level big man, instead of a guy who is just bigger than everyone else. Plus there is no one in the state who can slow down that inside/outside balance.
-
NFL
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 02:28 PM) Pay TV worked so well for the White Sox in 1980. All it would do is price more people out of the sport. Most people already can't afford to go to the games, if they can't afford to watch the games at home - why would you ever care? See also the Chicago Blackhawks.
-
World Series Trophy Tour
QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:09 PM) It's a 3-6 month, right...??? I bought it for that exact reason. Those little s***s don't last in one size for more than 2 weeks.. I remember it was 6 months, but i can't remember if it was 3-6 or 6-9, I'll have to go back and look at it again.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:07 PM) I'm not gonna argue the stupid point anymore. But if her ideas are right to begin with, what the f*** does it matter if she's an amputee or if she was recruited because she's got no legs or if she poops roses and pure sunlight for that matter? She's running against Henry Hyde. And he's facing a stiff challenge because he's been a terrible Congressman. But rather than focus on issues that might actually matter, people here focus on her limbs - or lack of them. So the f*** what? Its not a problem with her. Not at all. Its a problem with politicians who are willing to use someone because of their handicap, not only that, but to search them out to do so. That bothers me. And trust me, I am sure if Repubs had picked an amputee Gulf War vet to run for something, there would be much more outrage to go around.
-
World Series Trophy Tour
QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:06 PM) If she's wearing the Sox outft that her bestest Aunt Steff bought her... very cool. Thing is, she might fit into it by January. She is already starting to grow out of some of the newborn stuff. Mads is all arms and legs like her daddy.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
Getting ahold of Kap here is all wrong... Let me post his phone number so you guys can contact him directly...
-
World Series Trophy Tour
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:13 PM) SS2k, you suck ass. Bastard. I'm jealous, and that don't happen very often. I would LOVE to see that thing. One of these years (way off topic) I'll get to party with Stanley. I haven't seen where they are going in Indiana, but if they come close, I am going to try to get a pic with Madison... How cool would that be?
-
AJ Pierzynski Signs 3-yr Contract Extension
Excellent. AJ down, Crede and Contreras to go.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 02:02 PM) so Schwartzenegger wasnt recruited by the Repubs to run for Govenor of CA. How about Elizabeth Dole, was she recruited to run for Senator of NC? Hillary obviously was recruited to run for Senator from NY. What about Jim Oberweis.. he was recruited by the Republican party to run for Govenor of Illinois. Ronald Reagan many years ago for California. Happens all the time. Nothing new. Well at least the Dems can run on a platform of trying to find jobs for the handicapped... If you all want to believe what you want to believe, that's fine. I think it is completely obvious, even through their own PR people that the Dems are recriuting war vets, and even targeting an amputee to further their search for a sympathetic figure to talk about the war. Wow, if people listened when a mom talked about her dead son, how awesome it would be to have an amputee talk about how bad the war is? But you guys keep telling me how this is just recruiting good canditates. Sure. Everyone can believe in a vast right wing conspiracy to takeover the planet, but no one can believe that their own precious party would ever stoop to this, even when it was pretty much stated in black and white. It figures.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:58 PM) It's not cause she's an amputee. It's cause she's a war vet. Who by the way has been fighting to ensure VA provides better technology for wounded soldiers to lead normal lives again. I don't believe that for a second. The first part anyway.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:19 PM) You make it sound like people are never recruited/badgered/cajoled into political careers by party affiliates. In truth, that is pretty much the way it happens. The type of people you would actually want to see in elected offices are usually smart enough to run away as fast as they can, but sometimes they can be talked into running for office. This goes past that. It is one thing to take a guy who in a state office and recruit him to run nationally, it is quite another to find the most strikingly sympathetic figure that you can and put them out there simply because they are an amputee. And I am sure that I will hear all of the PR machines reasons why she is so awesome, but after reading how they are recruiting people specifically, I don't see much to convince me otherwise.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:58 PM) I’m sorry to hear that. I know it's easy to be cynical sometimes. On the off chance you might still be curious about finding out a bit more about this veteran – her upbeat take on life and her future after suffering catastrophic injuries in service to her country; and her unflagging support for the military - here are a few more links. Don’t worry. They’re almost entirely apolitical. And pretty darn inspiring. Can-do spirit rises from crash Injured soldier, inspirational woman An Amputee's Long Walk Back to Flight Duty (9 minute NPR sound clip) To be honest, I am much to disgusted to care much about this person. If politics has gotten to the point where a major party has resorted to recruited amputee war vets to run for office, I'm really not interested in what the PR machine has to say about her. It was one thing to front a mom who lost her son in Iraq and use her to further your cause, it makes me ill that now we are moving onto the searching out the handicapped to do so. And to be honest I am surprised this doesn't offend you as the defender of the downtrodden and used.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 12:01 PM) I really should get started on my christmas shopping I wear a Mens Large... Now snap to it!
-
Defiant Bush admits breaking law
Gonzales is saying Bush's actions are legal... This ought to be an interesting fight. http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....PING.xml&rpc=22
-
Coincidence?
QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 03:50 AM) The Sox two class A affiliates, Kannapolis and Winston-Salem, are ridiculously close to each other. When you throw AAA Charlotte in the mix - which is just a close - you can basically drive up and down I-77 and see half of the White Sox entire farm system. Did we plan it like this? Convenient for scouts? Convenient for FutureSox.com addicts? Road trip anyone? Yeah the only Sox ML franchise that is far away from those teams is Great Falls in Montana. They wanted all of their teams close together... Also lots of the FS guys try to do a trip once a year to see all of the teams in the southeast.
-
Non-tender candidates
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 06:06 PM) Kolb is represented by Boras. Nevermind... There goes all my interest in the guy.
-
Amputee vet running to replace Hyde in Congress
I quit reading right about there...
-
more media nonsense
QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 04:52 AM) Just guessing here, but the per capita income of the states in the first list would probably be substantially lower than the pci of the states in list 2. Wouldn't the "poor" states be the ones that should receive the lion's share? Not to mention a pretty close correlation to population density there as well...
-
Blackhawks @ Predators
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 16, 2005 -> 07:38 PM) I saw him get knocked down but I couldn't tell what happened... I was watching him while the play went on and they scored off of it. Then... the ref who was behind the play just acted stupid. What happened? Someone from Nashville laid a great hit on the kid. It was totally clean in a hockey sense. But the kid was obviously hurt, and was rolling around. The ref took that as he "tried to get up twice" and let the game play on. I have seen games stopped for WAY less.
-
Bulls beat the celtics
I couldn't believe my eyes while watching the 2nd half. I have never seen shooting like that from a Bulls team.
-
Contreras Reads The Tea Leaves
QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Dec 18, 2005 -> 01:30 AM) With the market the way it for starting pitching and the salaries they are getting, would you blame either one for testing free agency? As much as I would like to see them both with The Sox beyond 2006, I can't say I would blame them. After Contreras's nightmare stay in NYC I seriously doubt he wants to go somewhere else. He has seen how bad it can be, and how good it can be. I really believe that he will resign here, and sooner than later.