Everything posted by Dick Allen
-
Hanley Ramirez traded to Dodgers
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:43 AM) It wouldn't have given the Marlins what they wanted most... Salary relief. We would have had better odds with a Escobar for Ramirez swap, judging by the return Miami got. Loria was quoted as saying they had to do something, their roster wasn't working. That implies getting something back that works, but I guess what he really meant was, "I have to get out of having to pay these contracts ASAP". There are so many empty seats there now. Just wait until next year.
-
Marlins Firesale
Amazing how little you have to give up when you make a trade with a team who hopes to have the White Sox attendance next year and you are willing to take on all the cash. Buehrle back to the Sox is a pipe dream, I doubt Miami wants to help the Sox win anyway. If the Sox win it makes Ozzie look worse.
-
2012-2013 NBA thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:03 AM) Was that over the Pau negotiations? No, the owner was from Chicago and I think the issue was the Bulls not going along with his plan to make Chicago a 2 NBA town.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:32 PM) Ha, they did I wonder if he's going to have the Colonel for dinner.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:31 PM) What difference will there be between Beckham and Hudson at 2nd. None, Hudson is as good if not better defensively at 2nd than Beckham. And both suck at offense, while Hudson has shown he has done better b4, but prolly cuz of age he sucks now. Hudson is not as good defensively as Beckham, and he hit about .160 last time the Sox let him play.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:29 PM) Yeah because Beckham is just lighting it up with his stick. And Escobar has shown he can really hit. Beckham is better than him in every aspect except maybe Escobar runs a little better.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:25 PM) Honestly, let Escobar play second. I'm just tired of the Beckham experiment. He isn't mentally tough enough to play at this level. I have nothing to back that up, just my opinion by watching him play. This is a troll type of post. Escobar instead of Beckham? Anyone who really does watch them play would never suggest this.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
I really question Turner's stuff. 4 plate appearances for Dunn and Flowers and neither has k'd.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:22 PM) Detroit is just better than us. They played way below their expectations and now they are playing like everyone expected. As for us, maybe we played abouve our heads and we are seeing the true 2012 Sox. Detroit will cool off again, and the Sox will go on a run. You just have to hope it doesn't get out of hand before those things happen. Who knows, maybe Cabrera has a bottle of rum after the game and Fielder has a serious gout attack and they go back to mediocre.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:19 PM) When did Santiago stop sucking? When the situations he came in really made no difference whether he pitched well or not.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
Seriously, Humber should not be in the rotation.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:14 PM) Of course it is. That should be your goal every year. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Adding a SP will do nothing for this team I don't think because they can't hit. Fire Greg Walker. Its time.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:10 PM) If your goal is to make the playoffs, then they don't need to compete with Detroit. The goal is to win the division. There's a big difference now.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:03 PM) weird how much damage has come with 2 outs this week I believe every run yesterday was with 2 out.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
The good news is the Tigers pitcher has an ERA like Humber's.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
For the love of God, give Phillip Humber his release.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
There is no way Humber is better than Axelrod, and I really cringe when Axelrod is on the mound for the Sox.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 12:56 PM) It still sad to think that we could have had Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez if we had packaged away Beckham/Daniel Hudson. ????????
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
Humber really sucks. KW needs another starter.
-
GT: Chicago White Sox @ Detroit Tigers
The offense has been putrid. KW should look into Elijah Dukes, he's available.
-
Sox trade for Brett Myers
QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:00 AM) Violence against women is abhorent. However, the issues between Mr and Mrs Myers are their private issues and business. If they, and expecially, Brett are working on making their marriage work and the people in that marriage better peope and more respectful of each other than it is not for anyone else to judge. Now back to baseball. It appears the acquisition of Brett Myers the pitcher from Houston was a good move and we most certainly needed to get some experience in that bullpen. I hope it translates into wins. We will see if its a good move. Historically, he hasn't fared too well against the AL.
-
Sox trade for Brett Myers
QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:20 AM) I don't see how wanting Myers to do his job well correlates to being pro wife beating. Its about the excuses now made for him. Many of these Pro Brett Myers opinions would be wife beater posts if the Cubs were in contention and acquired him. I don't think anyone here is pro wife beating, but they do make excuses for the guy when he becomes a White Sox. There are no excuses. It show an extreme flaw in character and shows the guy is a total coward. KW put White Sox fans in a position where they have to cheer for a known wife beater. There's no excuse for that. I don't care how desperate he is. There is no doubt in my mind there are several MLB teams that wouldn't take Brett Myers if he was free due to that incident. I wish the White Sox were one.
-
Sox trade for Brett Myers
QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:24 AM) +1 Trying to find role models out of a sport, that not only promotes but documents incessantly the individual athletic merits of its players, is extremely pointless. Might as well model your good samaritan skills by observing the ethical behavior of type-A-venture-capitalists. or to put it in other words... If he pitches well couldn't care less. I'm not trying to find a role model. I'd imagine a good percentage of these guys are guys if you knew them, you'd want nothing to do with them, but there is a line. Not personally knowing them and cheering for them is easy but to a certan point. Wifebeating is over the line. There is NO reason to beat your wife. I don't care what she says or does. A 6'4"240 pound man dragging a 5'4" 120 pound woman by the hair and hitting her is NEVER justified. She admitted he hit her. She said she wasn't going to let him do this to here anymore suggesting it had happened before. If he was willing to do that in public for all to see, its hard to imagine what it must have been like in private. He's a certified POS. I hope the White Sox win, and I hope he has nothing to do with it. If they do lose, I hope its all his fault.
-
Sox trade for Brett Myers
Myers has a 5.64 career ERA vs. the AL. I wish I could answer how he will help the White Sox, but I can't. I want the Sox to win. Any praise this guy gets for his performance even if he is perfect the rest of the season will not come from me, but I'm really not expecting he'll be any better than Nate Jones with a whole lot more baggage.
-
Sox trade for Brett Myers
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 06:52 PM) I'm not about to get a beer with the guy, but the facts are very blurry in that particular situation and it is not clear to me that he is simply a "wife beater." Until someone can make that more obvious I'm going to assume that he's a f***ed up guy that is trying to get better. He made it sound in his statement like they both may have had a drinking problem. I hope a reporter asks him and/or KW about it because I'm interested in what is said. Chicago fans are right to be skeptical Read this. Boston Globe. She was quoted as saying he hit her twice. A witness reported her saying, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore". The man is scum. Phillies pitcher Brett Myers arraigned for allegedly beating his wife June 23, 06 01:17 PM By Suzanne Smalley Globe Staff Brett Myers, a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, was arraigned this morning after being arrested shortly after midnight for allegedly beating his wife in front of several witnesses on Boylston Street, authorities said. Myers, 25, was released by a judge this morning after pleading not guilty to assault and battery charges in Boston Municipal Court, according to David Procopio, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley. The pitcher and his wife, Kim Myers, 28, were walking back to their hotel from a bar when a dispute broke out 900 Boylston St, according to Procopio and a police report. Police responded at 12:26 a.m. to a 911 call reporting a domestic assault, Procopio said. Myers' wife told police she believed her husband hit her twice in the face with a closed fist. Witnesses told police Myers dragged his wife by the hair and slapped her across the face. Procopio said it is unclear if Myers punched his wife or slapped her, but he did strike her in the face. Courtney Knight, 26, who witnessed the alleged attack, said in an interview today that Myers was out of control. "It was disgusting," Knight said. "He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, 'I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore.' " Knight said the 6-foot-4 ballplayer dwarfs his wife, who the police report said was 5 foot 4 and 120 pounds. "She's a real small girl," Knight said. "It was awful." Myers allegedly told Knight and her friends to leave and resisted when they tried to pull him off of his wife, prompting Knight to call police. She said Myers was undeterred by the presence of her and her two friends. "He had her on the ground. He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting," Knight said. "She curled up and sat on the ground. He was pulling her, her shirt up was around her neck....He could have cared less that we were there." The player was arguing with his wife because he wanted to return to their hotel and she did not, a woman who was with Myers and his wife told police. Myers is slated to pitch against Curt Schilling at Fenway Park tomorrow. The police report says that officers found Kim Myers crying and with swelling on the left side of her face. The victim bailed her husband out, posting $200 in bail at the South End police station early this morning, Procopio said. According to a Major League Baseball website, Myers married his wife in 2002 and they have a 3-year-old daughter.