Everything posted by Dick Allen
-
The Bathroom Dilemma
QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2016 -> 03:25 AM) You guys act like I yelled at the man who was dressed as a woman or tripped him or did something disgusting. All I did was choose to not follow him in Subway and get in line behind him. This site is very liberal, I stand by that, when you are in favor of having a person with male body parts going into a bathroom with full blooded women. It's different when the person transitions and has his male body part removed, etc. Just because you envision yourself a woman doesn't give you the right to bring your male body part into a women's safe haven. Transgender people have been using the bathrooms for the sex they identify as long as anyone else. Why is it suddenly a huge problem? I haven't seen anything in the newspapers or television about the spike in attacks. I'm sure this will freak you out, but just about every woman has been in a public restroom with someone who was born male and you have been in a public restroom with someone who was born female. Somehow you were able to survive, and not even notice.
-
Austin Jackson
QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 9, 2016 -> 08:16 AM) There's been a lot of talk about how valuable Jackson has been to the Sox. Not only does he provide outstanding defense in center field, having him on the team has allowed Eaton to move to and thrive in right field. He doesn't have a great bat, but to me his defense more than makes up for that. So, what are the chances the Sox try to sign him to an extension? And if the Sox are interested in doing so, is he interested in staying with the Sox? I know it's early, but it would be hard to imagine taking a step backward next year in the outfield. The team is in no rush. See how it plays out. We are still in the one day he is a bum the next day they need to lock him up for years stage. I would imagine with his agent, signing a team friendly extension wouldn't happen anyways. If he leaves, they will find someone else. I think they have discovered a pretty good formula here. Like you said, anyone not making a lot of money but caused Eaton to move to RF and Avi to leave his glove in the clubhouse is worth a little more WAR than his numbers allow.
-
Sleeper prospect who may help the White Sox this year
Looks like he has a chance. A left handed platoon type guy who plays plus defense at 1B seems to be a roster fit for this team. The problem is, throwing him to the wolves in a pennant race would be tough. Especially considering you would have to expect a slow start. That kind of defeats the purpose.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
Is there any Nats fan who still believes there is no such thing as protection in a line up?
-
Is Avi Putting It Together?
QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 8, 2016 -> 04:02 PM) How's Addison Reed these days, Mr Sunshine? Drake and Adam? I'm enjoying the winning very much,thank you. We'd be even better, and for more years, if we'd stop trading young talent for these "stars" who never really were "stars." I'm enjoying Avi Garcia as well.....of course, supporting him is considered "negative" according to your groupthink. Reed is doing well for the Mets. Much better than Davidson. I assume Drake and Adam are having a grand time. Never said supporting Avi is considered negative. Not once. Why isn't Oakland dominating the AL with all those White Sox prospects?
-
2016 MLB catch all thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:08 AM) Tyler Flowers is batting cleanup for the Braves today. His next extra base hit will be his first of the season.
-
2015-2016 NBA Thread
Cowley up to his old tricks again. Says Butler is upset at the smear campaign being thrown his way. Cowley, who reported the Noah/Butler would have come to blows on his own, now seems to claim Gar is behind this smearing.
-
And that's a White Sox...winner?!
Byung Ho Park has the worst name in baseball.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 7, 2016 -> 04:08 PM) I think you're overestimating the impact the manager has. As long as he's not grossly misusing the bullpen (and aside from a couple headscratchers, Robin has been fine here), abusing the starters (might have rode them a bit too hard last year, but this year it's been fine), and utilizes the bench (I think Robin does a good job here), I don't think the manager really matters that much. Can't deal with real, on the field adversity? I'm not even sure what that means. That is because it is made up ,move the goalpost BS. He can't determine if he manages well unless he pulls them out of a rut. Yet if that happened, he can always fall back on the only reason they were in the rut to begin with was because of inept managing. It would be never ending.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 03:40 PM) The point where they go through a slide. It's not that hard. Robin has proven he can't deal with real, on the field adversity. Period. Thank god portions of this team have over performed. And with regards to Thibs, the whole Bulls org hated him because he was a nutcase. Looking forward to watching his big guns play 46 minutes against the 76ers in Minnesota. Their top 2 big bats have underperformed. They have an issue with a spot in the rotation. Had a big controversy in spring training where even some thought a couple of their best players needed to be traded because of what they said. I think they have had plenty of adversity, yet have prevailed. The people who don't like Robin can't give him credit. But if he was home in California and say Renteria was managing with the exact same results, I think Renteria would get a lot of credit, and deservedly so. I also think it would be used as proof that Robin was a goof. Good players are more important than a great manager, and many guys who were or are considered great managers at one time were managing teams that lost a lot of games,. Joe Maddon is a genius, yet he lost 101 games his first season in Tampa and followed that up with a 96 loss season. Joe Torre was considered an idiot manager in a couple of cities. Bobby Cox first 5 years were no better than Ventura's. Tony LaRussa was considered an idiot by White Sox fans until they got rid of him and he managed better players. The last 3 are HOFers. Maddon may be one day.
-
Early Trade Speculation
QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 7, 2016 -> 03:14 PM) There's no way the Sox get Trout without giving up Sale. If they would trade Trout, I doubt Sale would be someone they would be interested in. i would think they would want younger guys with many years of control. Maybe a 3 way trade where a team with the prospects the Angels would want would want Sale. I love Sale, but I would trade him straight up for Trout in a heartbeat.
-
Early Trade Speculation
QUOTE (bmags @ May 7, 2016 -> 03:04 PM) I just don't think their owner would ever trade trout. I don't think so either. At least not for a couple of years. As long as he is there, they don't need much more to always have the proverbial puncher's chance of making the playoffs.
-
Early Trade Speculation
It won't happen, but you do what it takes to get Trout. If he is on the White Sox, it would change the entire dynamic of the franchise.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 01:09 PM) I don't agree with you, so I'm trolling . Whatever dude. I don't hate the Cubs, so I'm trolling. I correctly predicted the Hawks would struggle without four defensemen, so I'm trolling. This board can be a greatest hits of whiners sometimes. But seriously, let's re-sign a manger after 30 games. That's what the good teams do, right? What I find interesting is 30 games into the season you think the White Sox haven't needed a "real" manager. What point of the season does that need kick in? And if Ventura had been replaced last year and a new guy was at the helm now, would you still not be giving the new guy any credit and not using the performance thus far against Robin? I think you would considering you used sitting out this season as proof Thins was a very flawed NBA coach. Nobody wanted him.
-
5/7 - Twins @ White Sox Game Thread
6-13 vs the Twins last year. Keep the turnaround going.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 7, 2016 -> 11:02 AM) Someone is in full-on insult mode today. First the insult to GreenSox in another thread, and now this. What a wonderful contribution to the discourse around our first place team. We should be saying this team needs a new manager , a real manager, and Greensox should be praised for his baseball thinking. I would think for a guy who finds winning a WS the only redeeming quality of a baseball season, GreenSox and his anti good players, perpetual rebuilding is heaven posts would be the exact opposite of what would interest you.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 10:58 AM) Sarcasm aside, this team will likely struggle and the pitching will likely regress to some extent, and at that point we will be wanting a real manager. LMAO. They need to hire someone from the game threads.
-
Surging White Sox have earned Ventura new contract
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ May 7, 2016 -> 10:12 AM) Imagine this team with a real manager. I'm sorry, it's still not Robin (loved him as a player, btw). He has improved, but he's still mediocre. Probably undefeated.
-
Is Avi Putting It Together?
QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 7, 2016 -> 10:00 AM) He very well may be turning it around. He has talent. Sometimes it takes time. We'll see. Even elite players like Todd Frazier didn't pull it together until 25 or 26. I see you are enjoying the 20-10 start. You must be a treat to be around.
-
Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 6, 2016 -> 02:27 PM) He was an intern with Boers and Bernstein. Dan mentioned the other day that people told him that Jason needs to stop doing the announcer voice. Dan says that it's his voice. That's how he sounds all the time, even during regular conversations. I don't have any issue with his announcer voice. It's not like Kevin Harlan, the king of announcer voices with his wet s's. The guy can't say enough words with an s in it and it alwaysh shoundsh like thish.
-
5/6 - Twins @ White Sox Game Thread
Should be good crowds all 3 games, especially tomorrow with the bobblehead. I bet it's over 25k tonight.
-
Is Avi Putting It Together?
We have been here before with Avi a couple of times. His first 23 games with the Sox, he hit .349. As late as June last season, his OPS was above .800. He will get ridiculously hot. That HR last night was amazing. The only HR I have ever seen with less air under it was Dave Winfield back in the 80s. The key will be can he stay away from swinging at pitches he can't hit. He's doing it now. I actually saw an AB with pitch trax where Avi only swung at strikes the other night. That doesn't happen too often. He has all the ability, but old habits tend to resurface. They should ride him when he's hot, though. And hide his glove so he can't go out to RF.
-
Johnson Back Down
QUOTE (lostfan @ May 6, 2016 -> 12:03 PM) And his WHIP was 1.4 for that, that's just not good enough. Burns through way too many pitches because his command just isn't there. He had a nice bounce back in the minors last year. I thought there was reason for optimism. He appeared to have a decent shot a rotation spot before they signed Latos, but even then Hahn was praising Turner. You have to think when guys claimed on waivers who pitched 9 minor league innings last year, and previously had some difficulties in the major leagues, seemingly leap you, the handwriting is on the wall. I fully suspect EJ will be a throw in for some trade in short order. He still has some potential, but I really doubt it will be with the White Sox. It seems they made their minds up long ago, and he was around in case of emergency. And he did nothing that would change their minds.
-
Johnson Back Down
QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2016 -> 10:53 AM) Who cares? He's gone. Are you telling me fans get tired of the highest paid player when he performs as one of the worst annually? That's some groundbreaking stuff. No, what I am getting at is the Johnson kept the team in the game argument. He was awful. There are no 2 ways around it. The bullpen had to go 4 innings. He got out of some jams with at em balls. Big Papi rolled into a DP on a rocket. Walks, ridiculous pitch counts...there really was nothing to be encouraged about, except for maybe the strikeouts. Next man up. I really thought he had a chance this season. But he wet the bed in spring training, and last night looked like 2014 all over again. I hope Gonzalez can do something, because that spot, as good as this team has been, has been about as awful as Matt Cain.
-
Johnson Back Down
QUOTE (South Sider @ May 6, 2016 -> 10:14 AM) I know he luckily escaped a few jams but lost in all of this is that he did give the team a chance to win that game. For a 5th starter in the AL, that's really all I can ask for. If the Sox had converted on their several opportunities perhaps we'd have seen a different outcome. In a tie game or Sox lead, you don't see Jennings throwing 40+ pitches. Nonetheless, he's back to Charlotte so there must have either been something the Sox didn't like, or a strategic reason for the move. I guess we will see. If the exact same thing happened to John Danks, it would be a marathon of DFA posts. I thought EJ had a chance, but he was awful last night. They were hitting rockets everywhere. Unless they fanned, they hit it hard.