Everything posted by Lip Man 1
-
3/1 vs Rangers, 2pm
Best news I've seen in weeks was his home run. Better sign him now to an extension Kenny while you still have all that money! (sarcasm implied)
-
KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap
JR's son Michael is now basically running the Bulls and has expressed no desire (so far) in having anything to do with the White Sox. I have never heard or read anything about any other family members expressing any interest in keeping the Sox to this point.
-
KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap
Balta it's my understanding from talking to people who know more about this than I do, that JR has the sole right to sell to whomever he wishes if he ever decided to do it. The other shareholders can offer opinions, can disagree but they have zero power is stopping a sale to whomever JR wishes to sell to in this example. It is also specifically written into JR's contract that he and he alone has the say in the day to day running of the operations of the club. I don't believe the others can have a vote of no-confidence for wont of a better word and remove him, it's pretty much ironclad. They gave up all rights in how the team is run decades ago. It's about as good of a deal as you can possibly get in this situation. I have heard in the past some of the minority owners and in fact JR's wife has wanted him to sell in the past but he refused to do so.
-
KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap
JR has publicly said many time he advises his family to sell the Sox and keep the Bulls.
-
Johnny Romano R.I.P.
Not many guys left now off that 1959 team, not a bad hitter in two stints with the Sox. Some of his moments with the club are listed here: January 20, 1965 - Another big deal pulled off by Sox G.M. Ed Short which kept the franchise’s streak of winning seasons going. The Sox were part of a three team trade with the Indians and Athletics. When all was said and done, the Sox parted with outfielders Jim Landis and Mike Hershberger, pitcher Fred Talbot and catcher Cam Carreon. In return they got back power hitting catcher Johnny Romano, pitcher Tommy John and outfielder Tommie Agee. Agee would be named Rookie of the Year in 1966 becoming the first Sox player ever with 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in a season; John would be part of the Sox brilliant starting rotation, making the All Star team for the first time in 1968. Romano wasn’t a slouch either in his second stint with the club, banging out 33 home runs in two seasons before being traded. April 19, 1965 – White Sox manager Al Lopez tied the record when he used five pinch hitters in the seventh inning of what turned out to be a 7-2 win over the Orioles at Comiskey Park. The Sox trailed 3-2 when Lopez began his maneuvering. By the time the inning was over he used Don Buford, Danny Cater, Johnny Romano, Dave Nicholson and Gary Peters as pinch hitters with Romano and Peters both hitting singles and driving in runs.Peters’ hit would give the Sox the lead for good. Lopez first used five pinch hitters in an inning on May 18, 1957 at Baltimore. September 25, 1965 - The Sox set the franchise record by hitting their 15th consecutive solo home run. The streak started at Baltimore on September 2 in the second game of a double header when Johnny Romano homered. The run continued until a game on this date was played in New York. Pitcher Tommy John hit the last home run in the streak. The breakdown saw Ken Berry with five solo home runs, Don Buford, Romano and Pete Ward with a pair each and John, Floyd Robinson, Bill “Moose” Skowron and Bill Voss with one solo home run. The Sox would tie this rather odd record in 2016. December 6, 1959 - In an effort to try to repeat as American League champs Bill Veeck and Hank Greenberg decided to make a series of moves to bring in hitters at the expense of some of the top young players in the Sox system. Veeck originally tried to get young stars like future Sox coach Orlando Cepeda from the Giants and Bill White from the Cardinals but was turned down. So he went in the only direction he felt he could. The first deal brought the Sox back outfielder “Minnie” Minoso at the cost of future All Star power hitting first baseman Norm Cash and future All Star power hitting catcher Johnny Romano. Cleveland also got John “Bubba” Phillips. Sox manager Al Lopez was quoted after the controversial deal as saying, “Some of us, like me, are not worried about next year because we might not be around then.”
-
Garpax vs KenHahn
Hard to pick between the two, that's like asking would you rather drown or be buried alive? They are both awful, but cutting them some slack, as others have pointed out, who is the constant here in both organizations?
-
KW: "It's a shame" the Sox are being portrayed as cheap
I just wish Kenny would stop with the BS and simply go far, far away. He's an embarrassment.
-
Hahn on Manny Loss...
I thought Merkin asked some pretty good questions... https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/rick-hahn-talks-white-sox-manny-machado-pursuit
-
2/27 vs Reds, 2pm, whitesox.com
Bummer living up to his name as a pitcher.
-
Dane Dunning: No TJS just yet, rest and monitor
I've read where forearm pain is a strong indication of a serious issue to come usually ending up with TJ surgery.
-
Dane Dunning: No TJS just yet, rest and monitor
Can't say I'm surprised.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
Sure they can and will
-
2/25 CWS vs. SFG
I'm assuming you mean individual results since the team is 0-3-1. I agree some players that are going to have to step up have shown well, but it is early in spring training.
-
Ri.Justice still loves the White Sox (or is on JR payroll)
With this current roster it's hard to see them winning over 70 games even if some of the kids come through. far to many question marks and "if' this happens..."
-
Sox signing Ervin Santana (pending physical) to milb deal per WSD
And the dumpster diving begins!
-
If White Sox are sold
Still pushing this line from your "sources"? Bottom line is this, JR has repeatedly said and PUBLICLY said multiple times that HE IS NOT SELLING. Period...end of story. Because of the monstrous hit his family would take via capital gains taxes it is better financially to keep the team until he dies, then his heirs won't have that burden. He has also publicly and repeatedly said he has advised his family to keep the Bulls and sell the Sox. Others have tried to buy the Sox from him in the past 10 years or so, including the Chicagoan who now owns the Cubs South Bend franchise. He said he offered to buy them twice but each time JR said no, so he gave up and is now in bed with the Cubs. (There was a big story on this in the Tribune) Mark Gonzales told me the former owner of the Memphis Grizzlies offered to but the team from JR. Again he said no. That person wound up passing away from an illness by the way so in the long run perhaps it was a good thing JR did not sell to him. The point is this, while it's clear JR is the bane of this franchise (and the Bulls) until death claims him, he isn't going anywhere and he will not sell. Right or wrong that's reality and we better get used to it.
-
2020 and beyond...
I'm sure the vast majority of Sox fans wanted JR gone years ago. However that's not happening, He has publicly stated he is keeping the team until he dies because of tax purposes (capital gains specifically). Then he has told his family to keep the Bulls and sell the Sox.
-
2020 and beyond...
The Cubs added top free agents when the time was right to supplement the "kids." It still isn't clear if the Sox will be able to do the same.
-
Luis Basabe Broken Hand
That's my recollection although I think it was on a pitch before he struck out from Cliff Lee.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
Bruce Levine is reporting tonight that the Sox do not believe in opt-out clauses and did not offer one to Machdo.
-
Goodbye Soxtalk
Can't blame you at all man for feeling the way you do. It's clear ownership simply refuses to understand the way the negotiating game is played today given the reported limitations. What top free agent in their right minds would take that offer? Nothing changes with this organization until ownership changes. If that wasn't clear in the past, it is today.
-
Luis Basabe Broken Hand
Merkin reported he won't start baseball activities for 12 weeks for whatever that's worth.
- Updated with $/WAR: Every Hahn MLB Free Agent Signing since 2012/2013
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Saw this recently and to me it's a terrific summary of the entire situation since numbers and quotes are now out and it seems the Sox never were really in the mix: * Sox have never shelled out more than 68 million on a player, one of only four MLB teams to have never given out a nine figure deal. * Sox FO told fans for months, "the money will be there." Things are different now... * Most Sox fans believed the hype and felt times were changing * Sox fail to land Machado because of a low-ball offer. * Sox FO makes excuses (i.e. Kenny Williams) The end result? Most Sox fans will NEVER trust or believe anything this front office ever says again.
-
Machado signs with Padres 10/300
Very disappointed and very angry. However I want to see more information (and it will leak out) before coming to any final conclusions. What was the Sox offer? What was San Diego's offer? Did the Sox get a chance to match it or improve on it? Things along those lines. If however the answers don't reflect the Sox organization in a good light than in my opinion, any and all attacks upon ownership and the front office are totally justified.